LAPOWER- Help please before purchase

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 05:03 PM
swisstony
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default LAPOWER- Help please before purchase

Hi everyone

I know there has been a lot of discussion regarding the LAPOWER bluetooth module, especially from the user Leica4lifeus.
This thread seems to go through a lot

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...uetooth-7.html

My question is this. Found the unit to buy
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bluetooth...UAAOSwo9Fa8Uw3

We have a 955 2005 with PCM 2.1 ( i think) but no CD changer in the boot. Looks like this

So people mention if you haven't got the CD changer you have to get the CDC function activated/enabled. Is this correct and does it have to be a dealer or can I ask our Porsche local garage who have all the tools and readers ?

Any help would be appreciated before we push the button the purchase

Old 09-25-2018, 06:02 PM
slavie
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 126 Posts

I have an 08 CGTS with same PCM 2.1 and no CD changer - LaPower worked like a charm with no programming of any kind. The PCM recognized the "CD Changer" and "Phone" module as if they were it's own. the phone pick up and "tel" buttons work as expected. I am beyond impressed with the thing. Just have to make sure installation instructions are followed and LaPower is the last device on the MOST loop.

Also, I was a bit paranoid about the unit draining battery as some posts implied in other threads. Not so - the LaPower thing snoops on the MOST bus and goes into sleep mode within seconds when the PCM is turned off, and draws a mA or less, perfectly fine. Wakes right up as soon as PCM is turned back on and activates the MOST bus, and draws under 1A while operational. The folks who had battery drain issues either got a defective unit or messed up the installation.
Old 09-25-2018, 06:08 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 184 Likes on 136 Posts

Yes, you are correct. I put one in my 04 CTT. The head unit is only looking for the MOST components it is coded for. In my case that was the CD changer. I installed the LA Power in the loop and when I want that as a source I press CDC. My head unit is the same as yours pictured except I have a CDC button where your end call button is. Maybe it would work if you use PHONE as a source without coding? For example I cannot answer calls on the steering wheel. I have to pick up the phone and answer a call manually but when I hang up it go's back to whatever audio was in play.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:50 PM
slavie
Burning Brakes

Maybe pre-08 cars with their older electronics were coded differently. Like I said, on 08, PCM recognized LaPower as it's own - I can press the "tel" button on the PCM and dial numbers from the address book, pick up and hang up from buttons on the PCM. "CD" emulates the 6 discs and works for BT streaming from my phone, and I can select different disks on PCM though it tells me they're empty. No coding was necessary, no CD changer/phone module present in the car or in build sheet.

Perhaps you'll need the opinion of folks with pre-08 PCM 2.1 cars.

Also, I think you need to setup the toggle switches on the LaPower according to what you have. It's been a while, so I don't remember the details.
Old 09-26-2018, 03:42 AM
swisstony
Advanced

Super guys, some great replies and very informative. Looking at the build sheet there is no mention of CDC prep or CD changer which was to be expected. I have also contacted the ebay seller and he has responded with
No you don't need to have CDC wiring prep.
If you don't have a CDC installed, you just need to make sure the CDC feature has been activated in order to use this adapter.
We've had buyers who didn't have CDC installed but eventually found out that the CDC feature was already activated exfactory, but this is not a guaranteed thing.
So given all that and with some of the advice on here, we are going for it ! Will report back when it is installed.
Old 09-30-2018, 04:27 AM
swisstony
Advanced

Well I worked it out in the end

For all those owners who are thinking of doing it, it was pretty easy in our Cayenne as we have no CD changer and the standard PCM 2.1
Couldn't see if we had the CDC prep but what the hell, went for it anyway

This is the kit ( not my picture )

Its true, the instructions that come with the kit are not the best but then the seller is trying to cater for Mercedes, Audi, Volvo, VW you name it so there will be some generic stuff. But the manual does show the difference of the FO loom and connectors depending if you have CD changer or none.

There is also a small piece of paper with a link to a google drive folder where all the instructions and videos have been uploaded so thats a nice touch as it has some of the videos and walkthrough from youtube and forums.

So our particulate install was a 955 Cayenne S with PCM 2.1 and no CD changer so I followed the wiring diagram and videos. The rest was plug and play and a little bit of careful thought.

Getting the surround and unit out is very simple, plastic levers and torx screws. Unplug 6 connectors in total on the back, Fibre, Steering wheel controls, power, speakers etc.

I plugged in the FO to the unit using the cable , the second connector goes to the FO wiring loom ( male to female )

and that leaves the last FO connector to the LAPower unit. Remove the dust cap and then plug in.

Next up was power. I tapped into the power loom to the PCM and followed video that says you plug red to red/yellow and black to brown. I used the red connectors they provide. A bit fiddly but I found if you crimp the two cables into the connector and crimp the metal bar first and then press the plastic tab close, it is easier.

A test first

Then onto the proper cables

Routed the FO and power through the side of the mounting brackets in the centre console to the drivers footwell where I think is the best place to hide it.

As the sound proofing material in the lower dash is non sticky, I used doubled side tape and found a mounting point up the top

Whilst it was all apart, it was microphone time.
Started at the top near the sun visor

and then found if you gently feed it down the A pillar with a plastic tool you can get a nice factory finish. Down past the door and into the fuse box

You can see it emerge just at the bottom

Then through the lower dash and into the LAPower unit
Bit of tidying up ( you have to leave the FO coiled loose as it can't be squashed) and job done.

Will report back once it is all tested as I know some people warned about excessive battery drain and it drawing power even when the ignition is off .

Hope that helps anyone out there wanting to do the same
Old 09-30-2018, 10:09 AM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 184 Likes on 136 Posts

I installed mine exactly the same as you. Power from the PCM + and no issues.

If I was sitting on a bunch of Denison Denial stock I think I would liquidate asap. Why do I mention that? Because the pricing is an insult to our intelligence.
Old 09-30-2018, 11:04 AM
swisstony
Advanced

I agree.just shows that you don’t need to spend a fortune on the m0bridge and the like units when something like this at a fraction of the cost does the job.
sure I could have spent over £500 plus professional installer to do it but I think with a little bit of common sense and this unit you pretty much get the same result
Old 09-30-2018, 07:16 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,149 Likes on 763 Posts

One comment - the A pillar trim comes off VERY easily. Under the plastic cap telling you it has an airbag is a screw. Take the screw out. Pull toward the steering wheel, the trim will come off from the top down.

The reason I suggest this is - there IS an airbag in the A pillar - and you want to make sure the wiring you added doesn't foul the airbag in case it's ever needed. Only takes a moment to do it - but you can tie-wrap it off to some of the other wiring that is run up the A pillar by Porsche. If you have enough wire available on the microphone - a better location might be the center next to the overhead console. Get's it out of the explosion path of the airbag and makes it so a passenger can be heard on it if needed.

BTDT.
Old 02-25-2019, 09:23 PM
slavie
Burning Brakes

Hey guys, the 997 thread on the LaPower unit definitely carries a ton of information, so I figure I'd post my update here to add some Cayenne specific info.

Mine is an 08 GTS with PCM 2.1, Bose, Navi, NO CD changer/phone/aux. LaPower installed without issue and works great, no programming was needed - I'm beyond thrilled. Sound quality is great over BT, no connection issues, call quality is great, steering wheel buttons work to skip tracks over BT in Pandora and whatnot. Phone is recognized and functions as factory phone, and BT streaming is via CD changer.

One thing I've read that concerned me was power drain with key out of ignition - I'm happy to report no such issues. I measured power consumption and within seconds of key out the usage drops to 0.01a. Even with power on and phone connected the draw was only .14a, so not a whole lot.

Power draw with key on phone connected.

As for mic installation, I went a little nuts... as usual. I took off the pas sun visor and a-pillar trim (a few screws), and routed the mic wire around to the overhead console. I made sure to route and zip tie the wire around the side airbag - you do NOT want to cross the wire over the air bag under any circumstances. Then I took apart the supplied BT mic and took out just the mic part. In the area where the factory mic would be next to the dome light buttons there is just a foam insert (to reduce noise I imagine). I took apart the overhead console (bunch of screws again) and got just that plastic piece out carefully. I cut a round hole in the foam piece and stuck the BT mic in there. The last picture shows the view from outside once everything was assembled - you absolutely cannot see it unless you look straight up into the grille. Mic quality is good, no complaints from folks on the other end.

I think factory uses dual mics and noise cancelling, but in the end you cannot beat this option for the money and what is available nowadays. You could also route out the AUX and USB in and probably make them work with factory aux panel, but I don't use either so did not bother.

Enjoy!
Old 02-25-2019, 09:40 PM
Vivid7
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Very nice. I have the same set up as you. no changer. I may order this.
Old 02-26-2019, 02:06 AM
RSbob
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Will this head unit work with LA Power? No button for phone or CD changer

Bose unit
If so, what would I use to activate Bluetooth? Much grass.

and regardless if I can use it or not, a fantastic write-up by Slavie

Last edited by RSbob; 02-26-2019 at 02:21 AM.
Old 02-26-2019, 10:25 PM
slavie
Burning Brakes

I don't think you can do this on a CDR unit, but I've never dealt with it. Read through the 997 thread linked in the first post here - the answer to your question should be there.
Old 02-27-2019, 02:34 PM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

Nice job on that mic install.

I've owned both Dension and LAPower -- they latter works as well or better at 1/3 the price.
Old 02-27-2019, 11:22 PM
RSbob
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by slavie
I don't think you can do this on a CDR unit, but I've never dealt with it. Read through the 997 thread linked in the first post here - the answer to your question should be there.
The EBay seller does not list CDR as one of the compatible units especially since it emulates the CD changer, and uses the phone key, which I have neither. Oh well.

Quick Reply: LAPOWER- Help please before purchase