Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help - rear passenger door won't open after door handle fix (2003 CTT)

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 03:24 AM
corellian vette
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need help - rear passenger door won't open after door handle fix (2003 CTT)

Ok this one has me stumped. My new (to me) 2003 CTT had a loose rear door handle on the drivers side. I removed the outer door panel, and also removed the entire inner carriage assemble. Turned out the problem was a counter-weight type thing had come loose behind the panel, but the parts were all in the door so I re-assembled and the handle is firm again. I'd read some write-ups, and tested the assembly carefully after re-assembly. I did not put the outer door panel back on as I had broken some clips.

Tested the door handle and everything was working great. Open and shut it a few times.

Tonight, I went to open the door and no-go. I can pull the handle and nothing happens from either the inner or the outer door handle. I can hear the door lock (and unlock), and the windows and speakers all work so it's not a wiring problem.

I cannot for the life of me figure out why the door won't open. It was never a problem before - it always opened - it was simply a loose door handle.

Anyone had this problem before and have any suggestions?
Old 07-26-2018, 07:34 AM
Stringbag
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by corellian vette
Ok this one has me stumped. My new (to me) 2003 CTT had a loose rear door handle on the drivers side. I removed the outer door panel, and also removed the entire inner carriage assemble. Turned out the problem was a counter-weight type thing had come loose behind the panel, but the parts were all in the door so I re-assembled and the handle is firm again. I'd read some write-ups, and tested the assembly carefully after re-assembly. I did not put the outer door panel back on as I had broken some clips.

Tested the door handle and everything was working great. Open and shut it a few times.

Tonight, I went to open the door and no-go. I can pull the handle and nothing happens from either the inner or the outer door handle. I can hear the door lock (and unlock), and the windows and speakers all work so it's not a wiring problem.

I cannot for the life of me figure out why the door won't open. It was never a problem before - it always opened - it was simply a loose door handle.

Anyone had this problem before and have any suggestions?
Two videos below - we have the same locks. Hope it helps. Please let us know how you get on.

Old 07-26-2018, 09:04 AM
Stringbag
Pro

Old 07-26-2018, 10:48 AM
Stringbag
Pro

Old 07-26-2018, 10:55 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,621 Likes on 4,209 Posts

Originally Posted by Stringbag
I'm partial to this one
Old 07-26-2018, 01:35 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Stringbag
Yes, that was me.

That top video above, of the VW Golf is great. When he very calmly mentions that he was a little concerned at about the 20-second mark, I'll tell you I was not as calm as he was.

That door lock actuator assembly is probably identical to the ones in our Cayennes. So everything he mentions sounds exactly correct.

I too had noticed that extra spring thing that appeared to not do anything. I think he's right that it is probably intended for assembly only - it makes the external handle pull cable stick out a little further for easier installation. Then probably the first time it is pulled, the spring falls off the little hook and never does anything ever again, unless it impedes the motion as he showed in the video. I studied it, was puzzled, and left it in there (always thinking that there might be something I don't know). But if I had to do it again, I'd remove it like he mentions.

The one thing he does not mention, which ended up being my problem, was that I had set the cable tension too tight by adjusting the attachment point of that serrated plastic thing at the end of the cable. You've got about 6mm of adjustment there, and I had incorrectly figured that tighter was better since it would give the door handle more range to unlatch the door. Correct, except that it can make it not possible for the door latch mechanism to reset itself.

If you had it working before, testing it, etc., you are probably right on the edge of this problem. So I'd suggest banging on the door, with the handles both slack. Hopefully it will allow the mechanism to slip into reset mode. Keep the jaws of life on the shelf for now.
Old 07-26-2018, 03:09 PM
corellian vette
Instructor

Thanks all. Good videos. I ALSO found a document from Porsche on another thread that talked about *attaching* a spring to a groove otherwise on first lock you won't be able to open the door. Let me find that link.

I also adjusted the cable FULL tight, and experimented opening the door first, so this could also be part of the problem as well.

The good news is I'm hopeful that the problem is that I need to get the plastic lock mechanism up then I can get the door open. Good thing I didn't put the door panel on!
Old 07-27-2018, 02:37 AM
corellian vette
Instructor

UPDATE - fix was actually simple (and I got lucky) - I adjusted the outer door handle cable too tight. I assumed (incorrectly) that putting it full forward would improve how the door opens but it wasn't allowing the latch to reset.

The reason I got lucky is because I thought I had tightened the screw to secure the handle side cover down, but I hadn't. It was loose enough that I was able to wiggle it off, which made adjusting the pull cable simple. Problem solved!

Quick Reply: Need help - rear passenger door won't open after door handle fix (2003 CTT)