Whining noise coming from back of Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 10:12 AM
WhipE350
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Whining noise coming from back of Cayenne

2009 GTS, 110k Miles.
Pulling into work this morning I heard what sounds like a whining or whirling noise from the back of the car. It is pretty loud, similar to how low power steering fluid sounds. It happens at low speeds (could be at high speed but wouldn't be able to hear it over road noise). Here is the odd part, when I slow down say from 10 mph to 2 mph it keeps spinning and then slows down. Seems it is not entirely in sync with the amount of throttle.

It does not do it in park revving engine or idling. Is this something the fuel pump would do, though one would think it would do it in park then.

Any thoughts before I bring it in would be great. I normally tackle all things Porsche myself but am going out of town and need to get back and forth to airport.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:35 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 792 Likes on 444 Posts

I've never heard of anything like this. I like your fuel pump idea. As you slow down the vehicle, the pump would need to work less to keep up the fuel pressure. That might account for the lag.

Try getting up to a speed where you hear it and coasting in neutral.
Old 07-10-2018, 12:34 PM
WhipE350
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Shawn Stanford
I've never heard of anything like this. I like your fuel pump idea. As you slow down the vehicle, the pump would need to work less to keep up the fuel pressure. That might account for the lag.

Try getting up to a speed where you hear it and coasting in neutral.
Yeah good idea. A friend just called me and suggested the same thing. It's like the noise continues to happen as the drive shaft spins down. I'm guessing I could have rear diff issues? I'll try to on way home. Appreciate it.
Old 07-10-2018, 03:12 PM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WhipE350
2009 GTS, 110k Miles.
Pulling into work this morning I heard what sounds like a whining or whirling noise from the back of the car. It is pretty loud, similar to how low power steering fluid sounds. It happens at low speeds (could be at high speed but wouldn't be able to hear it over road noise). Here is the odd part, when I slow down say from 10 mph to 2 mph it keeps spinning and then slows down. Seems it is not entirely in sync with the amount of throttle.

It does not do it in park revving engine or idling. Is this something the fuel pump would do, though one would think it would do it in park then.

Any thoughts before I bring it in would be great. I normally tackle all things Porsche myself but am going out of town and need to get back and forth to airport.
Do you have PDCC?
Old 07-10-2018, 07:40 PM
WhipE350
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PTEC

Do you have PDCC?
I don't, but that is a good point. Was it controlled by an electric motor in 2009?

Anyway, here is an update. No noise on the way home or when I got home. Before I got out of it at work though I lowered it to loading mode and then put it back to sport height. I thought it could be a compressor pomp, though I know that sounds silly, I figured it was something simple I could do. I'll keep folks posted what I find out. Thanks all who replied.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:07 PM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WhipE350
I don't, but that is a good point. Was it controlled by an electric motor in 2009?

Anyway, here is an update. No noise on the way home or when I got home. Before I got out of it at work though I lowered it to loading mode and then put it back to sport height. I thought it could be a compressor pomp, though I know that sounds silly, I figured it was something simple I could do. I'll keep folks posted what I find out. Thanks all who replied.
Pdcc was hydraulic. The compressor for the air suspension is in the right front of the vehicle so chances are if what you hear is really from the back it’s not the compressor.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:43 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,160 Likes on 3,925 Posts

Sounds like fuel pump to me. Put a can of SeaFoam into your next full tank of gas. It does wonders for lubricating the fuel distributor of the mechanical fuel injection system of older 928s and will do the same to your fuel pump, which may prolong its life by giving it some internal lubrication. It may not do it at initial idle because the lines were full and the pump primed when you opened the drivers door so it didn't need to work very hard when you first start it.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:28 PM
WhipE350
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Petza914
Sounds like fuel pump to me. Put a can of SeaFoam into your next full tank of gas. It does wonders for lubricating the fuel distributor of the mechanical fuel injection system of older 928s and will do the same to your fuel pump, which may prolong its life by giving it some internal lubrication. It may not do it at initial idle because the lines were full and the pump primed when you opened the drivers door so it didn't need to work very hard when you first start it.
Thank you sir, always appreciate your suggestions. Will give it a go.

Quick Reply: Whining noise coming from back of Cayenne