HELP - I'm Driving and I Can't Get Out!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 11:17 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,070 Likes on 572 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy E.
Surely you jest...

Early model 928's also suffered from worn key door lock switches; as key fob remotes were still in the design stages. Closing your door with the key inside the car was a recipe for disaster, as the worn switch would inadvertently lock all your doors. Workshops learned very quickly to leave the driver's window open when entering the service bay.
You just have to love the advance of technology.

At least margaritas are the one constant in the universe.
Old 06-28-2018, 11:38 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,621 Likes on 4,209 Posts

Originally Posted by Marv
Awesome. Looking for it now.

Thank you!!!
Here you go - https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-diy/1069169-955-957-cayenne-diy-door-handle-s-inoperable-fix.html
Old 06-28-2018, 12:04 PM
dpatel710
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Petza914
^^^This!
The screw under the plastic cap is stripped for my front doors - any tips on how to remove that?
Old 06-28-2018, 12:05 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dpatel710
^^^This!
The screw under the plastic cap is stripped for my front doors - any tips on how to remove that?
Is it the threads that are stripped or the Torx head?

If it is the Torx head I would first buy a replacement screw.

Then buy one of those small manual hand impact drivers at the auto store. This is the one you smack with a hammer.

Clean the old screw with a Q-Tip in acetone. Do the same with the mating Torx tip.

Now use JB-Quick to epoxy the old screw and the Torx tip together. Hold them together with tape for an hour or two.

Mate the impact driver to the tip and gently tap the end as you try to turn the driver anti-clockwise.

Those little impact drivers are the cat's meow!!!

Failing that, drill a hole in the screw and use an Easy-Out mated to the impact driver.
Old 06-28-2018, 12:14 PM
dpatel710
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is the torx head that is stripped, thanks for the tip!
Old 06-28-2018, 12:27 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 251 Posts

Jealous ghost of the 993...lol
Old 06-29-2018, 08:51 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

I loosened the Torx screws as shown in the DIY, then pried off the plastic cap over the lock mechanism behind the handle, but that mechanism will not pull out.

Is there a step missing here to get that lock cylinder out?

Mine is a 2006 base Cayenne.
Old 06-29-2018, 09:32 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I loosened the Torx screws as shown in the DIY, then pried off the plastic cap over the lock mechanism behind the handle, but that mechanism will not pull out.

Is there a step missing here to get that lock cylinder out?

Mine is a 2006 base Cayenne.
No, the torx screw loosens / tightens a mechanism that goes around the lock cylinder portion of the handle assembly. You'll understand once you get the lock cylinder portion out. Loosen the screw a little more and as you're trying to pull that puece out, wiggle it up and down - it will come out.
Old 06-29-2018, 10:26 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

No, the torx screw loosens / tightens a mechanism that goes around the lock cylinder portion of the handle assembly. You'll understand once you get the lock cylinder portion out. Loosen the screw a little more and as you're trying to pull that puece out, wiggle it up and down - it will come out.
I tried doing just that. I loosened the screw. Loosened it some more and I even put channel-locks on the metal lock encasement.

Neither side will budge.

The metal part has several rectangular slots cut into it near the door panel body. I suspect Porsche has some kind of tool that grabs those as an aid to pul it free.
Old 06-29-2018, 10:37 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I tried doing just that. I loosened the screw. Loosened it some more and I even put channel-locks on the metal lock encasement.

Neither side will budge.

The metal part has several rectangular slots cut into it near the door panel body. I suspect Porsche has some kind of tool that grabs those as an aid to pul it free.
When you look at the screw you loosened on the end of the door, do you see the one metal tab like in my photo, or both the upper and lower tab, or no tabs? Pop the plastic cap off the rear doors and look at them too.
Old 06-29-2018, 10:59 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

When you look at the screw you loosened on the end of the door, do you see the one metal tab like in my photo, or both the upper and lower tab, or no tabs? Pop the plastic cap off the rear doors and look at them too.
Yeah, the tabs were visible.

Maybe the parts are simply corded or filled with dirt and jammed.

I did not want to damage anything, so rather than take the gorilla approach to the problem I want to be sure I'm doing the right thing.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:07 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Yeah, the tabs were visible.

Maybe the parts are simply corded or filled with dirt and jammed.

I did not want to damage anything, so rather than take the gorilla approach to the problem I want to be sure I'm doing the right thing.
There should only be 1 tab per screw / per door visible. One gets trapped behind the screw head and the other above the screw head. If both of yours are above the screw head, loosening the screw is probably pulling the clamp assembly that's around the lock cylinder piece even tighter. You'll need to screw it in a bit until you can wiggle those tabs around (to know that they're not under load any more and if possible get the bottom tab back underneath the screw head, or just completely remove the screw (don't drop it in the door - maybe get a magnet on the edge as you take it out).

The other possibility is that they changed the handle assembly a little from the 955 to the 957 (I only have a 957) and removal is a little different, as I also don't see the rectangular slots on mine you speak of.
Old 07-06-2018, 12:20 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Okay, got them off.

There were two issues. One was that the tori head screw needed to be backed out almost all the way. The other was a 4mm setscrew in the driver's side that needs to come out. The passenger side's was missing, so I installed a new one.

The problem is better. The driver's door opens fine now. The passenger side is unchanged. I had a hiatus with the handle not reengaging correctly, but that was due to another problem.

Since the problem only happens after unlocking the doors, I am wondering if the unlock mechanism is at fault. It makes a good thunk when you lock and unlock, but the passenger do (either inside or outside) won't open on the first pull like the driver's side does.

Quick Reply: HELP - I'm Driving and I Can't Get Out!