Sponsored by:

How to prevent things rolling around in trunk

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 02:33 PM
vandal968
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How to prevent things rolling around in trunk

I need to go refill a propane tank and it reminds me that I have yet to find a way to keep crap from rolling around in the trunk area of the cayenne. Ideally I'd like something that doesn't require me to strap the item to the car's upholstery dirtying it, but that is also out of the way when I'm not using it and keeps things from slamming around when I drive. Anyone got a good solution?

cheers,
c

Last edited by vandal968; 05-21-2018 at 08:12 PM.
Old 05-21-2018, 06:39 PM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

For something like a propane tank (gas grill?), I'd likely put it in a plastic trash bag and seat belt it into a back seat.
Old 05-21-2018, 06:39 PM
NelaK
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

My 09 CTTS has metal rings in the back of the seats that I use with bungee cords. I've always assumed thats why they're there. Do the older models not have them?
Old 05-21-2018, 07:05 PM
pugface
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had good luck with WeatherTech's "CargoTech" system - it's a very twisty hilly road back from the grocery store to my house, and without them I have stuff flying everywhere. Its 4 rubber-bottomed corner things - best for boxes, but it will keep odd shaped things in place

https://www.weathertech.com/cargotech/
Old 05-21-2018, 07:36 PM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-SUV-Rea...YAAOSw0phZlrnO
Old 05-21-2018, 08:23 PM
vandal968
Pro

Nelak,
yup, I've got metal rings on the seat backs (04), but my interior is tan. The propane tank (and lots of other stuff I carry) has a pretty healthy layer of brown dust on it from the monsoons we get here, not to mention some grease from the bbq on that tank. The floor of the cargo area has a heavy rubber mat which is great because I can vacuum it or shake it out, but I want to keep the carpeted walls of my cargo area clean without necessarily having to clean the stuff I haul.

Pugface,
that CargoTech thing is pretty much exactly what I as hoping to find. They say that the material on the bottom grips carpet or the Weathertech mat. What is the bottom surface made of? Do you think it would work on just a plain rubber luggage area liner (black rubber, not Weathertech brand with grooves). Also,do those things nest so that they take up less room when not in-use?

Dilberto,
I like that cargo net too. Do you have that one? I think I might get both the net and the cargotech thing.

Thanks for all the help gents.

cheers,
c
Old 05-21-2018, 08:32 PM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

I got the net. Works great.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:44 AM
RS-America
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 100 Posts

We had a roll bar made to fit behind the rear seats with a heavy steel mesh in the top third to see thru. Did not want heavy items unexpectedly coming forward. The roll bar is tied into structure and made to secure our winch for inside storage. The winch is positioned to pin our 50 quart electric fridge-freezer to the right side. Around town while not using the fridge we have a Griot's box that has Velcro partitions for various configurations. Works well for the propane tank and/or grocery's. When the Griot's box is not in use the whole thing folds flat and fits into a carry sack. Our WeatherTech mats have worked well keeping carpet clean in the tailgate and as floor mats up front.

Last edited by RS-America; 05-22-2018 at 03:10 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-22-2018, 10:25 AM
pugface
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vandal968
Pugface,
that CargoTech thing is pretty much exactly what I as hoping to find. They say that the material on the bottom grips carpet or the Weathertech mat. What is the bottom surface made of? Do you think it would work on just a plain rubber luggage area liner (black rubber, not Weathertech brand with grooves). Also,do those things nest so that they take up less room when not in-use?
The material on the bottom is a grippy rubber. I use it on the hard plastic OEM cargo protector, which I would think is about worst case, and it works well. They do nest, if needed. My wife liked them so much she got a set for her wagon
Old 05-22-2018, 11:26 AM
vandal968
Pro

Ordered CargoTech. Ordered a Propane tank base:

Amazon Amazon

Ordered the net too.

Want to weld up something cool like what Otis has, but that will have to wait.

Thank you all.

cheers,
c
Old 05-22-2018, 12:03 PM
reachme
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Have Weathertech to protect the floors but propane tank sits in footrest area behind passenger seat (move seat forward)
Using bungee cords or buying something might not work for me since I usually leave rear seat backs folded flat-especially on Saturday when doing errands.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:17 PM
vandal968
Pro

CargoTech arrived already. Grips impressively on my trunk liner. AA++

cheers,
c
Old 05-22-2018, 08:49 PM
NelaK
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

While we're on the topic - can anyone explain to me why the Porsche plastic liner seems to be Teflon coated and even the slightest slope will cause things to just slide right out?
Old 05-23-2018, 09:30 PM
pugface
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NelaK
While we're on the topic - can anyone explain to me why the Porsche plastic liner seems to be Teflon coated and even the slightest slope will cause things to just slide right out?
I can't explain that, but that was the impetus for me finding the CargoTech holders. There's 10 miles of twisty, hilly road between my house and the grocery store, and I got tired of getting home with empty sacks and produce everywhere

Quick Reply: How to prevent things rolling around in trunk