Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Did You Do To (or With) Your Cayenne Today ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 12:28 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,171 Likes on 3,935 Posts
Default What Did You Do To (or With) Your Cayenne Today ?

Most other Porsche models have a thread like this where owners can post their experiences, adventures, new mods, etc, but I don't see one for the Cayenne, so figured I'd start one. Doesn't matter what year, model, or trim - post 'em up. Photos are encouraged.

I'll start...

Did my first oil change today on my '09 957 Turbo S. Installed the aluminum ECS Tuning oil filter cap and the LN Engineering Magnetic Drain plug during the process. Here's a pic of the aluminum ECS cap next to the stock cap (center piece from stock cap gets moved over to the ECS cap prior to installation). K&N Oil Filter & JGR Driven DT40 oil.

Last edited by Petza914; 04-24-2018 at 08:36 AM.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:32 PM
BlackTurboS
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice. My oil filter cap is all banged up from wrenching it off over the past few years, I will have to keep this in mind for my next one. As for your question, I didn't complete the mods yet but I have now had my 09 CTTS for 3 years and its been stock ever since except for the wheels and brakes. I just ordered new rotors and pads for my upcoming maintenance interval. I'm doing pads/rotors, tint taillights, black out the "Cayenne Turbo S" logo, Resonated Cay Bypass, and ECU Tune. That should keep me content for another 3 years at least. Parts are ordered just waiting for everything to come in--- and some free time with no kids to get the work done. Can't wait though, I am really excited to see what 600+ HP feels like when I'm done. I figure if I'm at 550HP stock, add the bypass and the tune and I should be at 600+ if not more than that. I'll post some updates as soon as I get some of the work done! Oh and P.S. The reason for tinting the tail lights is I feel that the red against the black makes my cayenne look older than it is. I'm hoping that tinting them a few shades darker will give it a smoother look with less aggressive contrast of my tail lights against the black body. I know.. I may be overthinking it.. make fun of me... its fine I don't mind.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:41 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BlackTurboS
Nice. My oil filter cap is all banged up from wrenching it off over the past few years, I will have to keep this in mind for my next one. As for your question, I didn't complete the mods yet but I have now had my 09 CTTS for 3 years and its been stock ever since except for the wheels and brakes. I just ordered new rotors and pads for my upcoming maintenance interval. I'm doing pads/rotors, tint taillights, black out the "Cayenne Turbo S" logo, Resonated Cay Bypass, and ECU Tune. That should keep me content for another 3 years at least. Parts are ordered just waiting for everything to come in--- and some free time with no kids to get the work done. Can't wait though, I am really excited to see what 600+ HP feels like when I'm done. I figure if I'm at 550HP stock, add the bypass and the tune and I should be at 600+ if not more than that. I'll post some updates as soon as I get some of the work done! Oh and P.S. The reason for tinting the tail lights is I feel that the red against the black makes my cayenne look older than it is. I'm hoping that tinting them a few shades darker will give it a smoother look with less aggressive contrast of my tail lights against the black body. I know.. I may be overthinking it.. make fun of me... its fine I don't mind.
Sounds great. I like tinted taillights - have them on my Pick-up (Spyder with tinted lenses), my 997 (Dectane with tinted lenses), and my 928 (tint film over OEM lights). The 957 Cayenne lights have some tough angles on them from a film adherence perspective, so those may have to be spray tinted as opposed to film tinted for them to hold up and you may want to mask off the reverse light rectangles to not hinder the lighting when backing up. I'm probably leaving my Cayenne ones the solid red as they don't look too bad with the now pearl white body.

Just got my Fabspeed tune emailed back to me today. Will get it loaded up in the next couple days, and Wednesday, test it out. With the ipd plenum, HHR intake, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, cargraphic muffler, FVD enlarged intercoolers, and Evoms Diverter Valves, I'm hoping for some nice optimization from it - maybe 625 to 650 HP and that should be enough as the thing is very strong as it is.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:46 PM
BlackTurboS
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914

Just got my Fabspeed tune emailed back to me today. Will get it loaded up in the next couple days, and Wednesday, test it out. With the ipd plenum, HHR intake, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, cargraphic muffler, FVD enlarged intercoolers, and Evoms Diverter Valves, I'm hoping for some nice optimization from it - maybe 625 to 650 HP and that should be enough as the thing is very strong as it is.
What do you mean you got the tune emailed to you today? I thought you had to order the tune that came on the OBDII device? Are we able to take the software package and upload it via Durametric? Sorry if thats a dumb question just trying to understand what you mean by emailed back to you.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:53 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BlackTurboS
What do you mean you got the tune emailed to you today? I thought you had to order the tune that came on the OBDII device? Are we able to take the software package and upload it via Durametric? Sorry if thats a dumb question just trying to understand what you mean by emailed back to you.
You place the order for the tune with Fabspeed and they ship you a MyGenius tuner device locked for their tunes. You hook it up to your car with the PC to the OBDII port and download to the device the Factory ECU tune and copy it to your PC. You then email them that *.fpf file along with the tuning questionnaire and they send you back the custom tune based on your responses and what they see in the OEM tune file. You then hook the MyGenius device back up to the car and write the new Tune to the ECU and then you'll be running the modified tune on the vehicle. The MyGenius Tuner stores both the stock & modified ECU tunes in case you need to switch back at some point (inspection, warranty work, etc).
Old 04-26-2018, 07:04 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I installed a Fabspeed ECU Tune into my 2009 TTS and drove it about 100 miles - all I can say is WOW!

The car runs great and fast. It feels more responsive and stronger pretty much everywhere, like a Cayenne Turbo S+ and I haven't noticed any odd behavior, monitoring AFR, boost, etc. The result is that this thing is just a beast now - thinking it could give my supercharged 911 a run for it's money in 80% of the situations - something this big just shouldn't move like this and the sounds are sublime - not too much of anything (intake noise, exhaust noise, blowoff sounds, etc) - just the right amount of all of it.

My car has the following mods, which were maximized by the Tune:
FVD Enlarged Intercoolers
HHR Intake with K&N Hydrophobic pre-filters
Evolution Motorsports Billet Diverter Valves
ipd Intake Plenum
Fabspeed Secondary Cat Bypass Pipes
cargraphic Touring Sound Muffler (this is the quieter of the 2)

I'm very pleased with the result !
Old 04-27-2018, 03:36 AM
phatz
Burning Brakes

Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts

walked past it 4x
Old 04-27-2018, 09:26 AM
cfiiman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well not today but about a week ago I finished up replacing the AC Compressor, thermal expansion valve and receiver/dryer due to a blown compressor after a month of ownership, yeah that was fun
Old 04-27-2018, 05:12 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Replaced all 4 rotors and pads. Thank goodness for air tools!
Old 04-28-2018, 05:45 PM
bigbevo
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

used the air compressor to air up the tires on my wife's bike

finally cleaned out the garage so she could get in there. I couldn't stand to leave her outside one more night.

Old 04-29-2018, 09:59 PM
Travis
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Finally completed the valve cover gasket replacement and spark plugs. I did the driver side earlier since it was leaking worse.

Glad I did too. Two of the plugs were loose. I did not need a ratchet to remove! One of the plugs was wet with oil. (Oil from leaks in the spark plugs well seals).

Included is a gratuitous shot of the 192K top end of the passenger side of the V8.

Last edited by Travis; 04-30-2018 at 01:47 PM. Reason: put pics below text
Old 05-01-2018, 02:01 PM
dhc905
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Wow, you went deep! I changed plugs and coils recently on mine as part of a DIY catchup service - including air filters, cabin filter, new battery (done at Pep Boys, Bosch AGM battery installed for $230!) and oil change. My plugs (186K) were in pretty poor shape having been last changed at 120K, but no noticeable oil residue on any of the plugs. One real positive, and I'm sure you'll see this as well, was my average MPG after changing both sides went from about 12-13 to 15-16 for equivalent, if not worse (my wife's) driving.

Car went to the dealer for the balance of the service on Friday, including fixing whatever's up with my rear hatch and testing the coolant system for potential leaks. It's Tuesday now, haven't heard anything from them, but ok with that since they gave me a 2018 Macan loaner. Gotta say, I'm surprised at how little progress has occurred between 2006 and 2018 on the Porsche SUV front. I'm a bit spoiled by the Tesla - which really is a quantum leap forward - but besides the awesomeness of PDK and 7 speeds, the base Macan is kind of lame. As my wife puts it - they added some fancy (interior design is much better), some confusing bells and whistles, but I'm still looking forward to getting the Cayenne back.
Old 05-02-2018, 06:20 PM
Travis
Addict
Rennlist Member

That reminds me, need to order of coils, one was cracked down the length of the pencil part of the coil. They're also really old .05 versions. Fortunately, no issues with misfires, but definitely time to replace those too. I didn't take a pic of the plugs, but they were worn and the gap was noticeably larger. We shall see if the new plugs make a difference. Would be nice to see an MPG improvement!

My Dad has a Macan. I've driven it a couple of times. It's definitely a modern car with all those buttons and improved displays and infotainment updates. Can't say I could really enjoy it since I didn't know where any of the controls are! I will say the suspension calibration was really mushy, preferred the stiffer suspension of the P!G...
Old 05-02-2018, 09:49 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by Travis
My Dad has a Macan. I've driven it a couple of times. It's definitely a modern car with all those buttons and improved displays and infotainment updates. Can't say I could really enjoy it since I didn't know where any of the controls are! I will say the suspension calibration was really mushy, preferred the stiffer suspension of the P!G...
Interesting. I have a 2018 loaner Macan today - base model ($48k+1k delivery) - I think even the seats are leatherette.. I can't say I dislike the ride. Seems reasonably firm, not harsh due to the 50 series tires on it, and on an on-ramp where I could play a bit - had no problems pushing it about as hard as I do my '11 CTT. Does your father's Macan have adjustable and air suspension? The damping adjustment at least on a Cayenne can make a big difference. My CTT can feel somewhat mushy in the "Comfort" mode. Quite reasonable in the "Normal" mode, and a bit harsh in the "Sport" mode (the 21"-35 series tires don't help that..) Anyway - I wouldn't describe the suspension as "mushy" on the Macan. Feels pretty typical Porsche to me.
Old 05-02-2018, 10:37 PM
Travis
Addict
Rennlist Member

My Dad’s Macan is the 2016 S version with adjustable shocks, but no air suspension and 20” all season Michelins.

I am pretty sure he had it in comfort mode and I thought I switched it to normal before I drove off with him. Must not have switched since the ride didn’t change. For reference, Bay Area 680 between Pleasanton to Fremont has a variety of pavement quality so the suspension gets a work out. What surprised me the most is the dampening. There was a lot of vertical movement. It was controlled, but not what I would consider Porsche like.

Some context for comparison. My son’s R53 with H sport springs and Bilstein is stiff, but liveable and fun. My 993 with Pss9s is controlled and very planted (5-6 setting on shocks).

Quick Reply: What Did You Do To (or With) Your Cayenne Today ?