Sponsored by:

Replacing battery

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 11:19 AM
mrbug
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing battery

I have a 2006 Cayenne S and it appears that the cold temps are slowly killing my battery. I am going to replace it but was advised to use a battery saver or computer memory saver by a local German auto mechanic. Has anyone ever used one or is it necessary while replacing the main battery under the seat?
Thanks,
Brad
Old 01-03-2018, 11:35 AM
jwicker
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No need to do that. I just replaced mine and had no ill effects.
Old 01-03-2018, 12:20 PM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 86 Posts

Replaced the battery on my 04S but did not use a backup power source during the swap out.

No issues.
Old 01-03-2018, 01:05 PM
Kirill
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

better not - a chance to screw up and fry something is higher.
Old 01-03-2018, 02:43 PM
mrbug
Intermediate

It looks like I will be replacing a battery tonight. Thanks for all the input.
Old 01-03-2018, 04:08 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 141 Likes on 113 Posts

You'll need a M10 XZN (triple square) socket to get the bolts out on the front of the seat rails.

On the risk of frying something ... makes sense, but would it be safe enough to use jumper cables from another battery (e.g., in another car with engine off) to the jump ports under the hood? Unlike a battery charger, less likely to be any voltage pulses, and this would hopefully prevent lots of things from being reset???
Old 01-03-2018, 04:54 PM
Kirill
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Really no problem at all with things reset - don't think it worth a hassle and risk plugging another power source. Last month I forgot ski boot bag with heater on in trunk of 955 - battery drained to 0, put on the tender overnight and been driving fine.
Old 01-03-2018, 05:15 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 290 Posts

Rad your manual for the few things you need to teach the car. It is no big deal.. Been there, done that!
Old 01-04-2018, 12:20 AM
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 51 Posts

Old 01-04-2018, 07:00 AM
kyoso23
AutoX

I changed mine out a couple weekends ago without backup power, and didn't need to reset anything. I installed a slightly larger H9/L6/95R battery and it fit nice and snug (just had to route an extension on the breather).
Old 01-04-2018, 12:54 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts

During college, I worked as an installer at a high-end audio store. As a matter of practice when doing European cars, I would always turn on the park lights when re-connecting the battery.
Inductance in the system can create voltage spikes. In the late '80s/early '90s BMWs, they were quite sensitive to this. Having the park lamps on would absorb spikes in a semi-safe manner.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:47 AM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts

Just did mine last week ('06CTTS). Didn't connect anything. One thing to remember is you will need to reset/have your windows relearn the one-touch feature up/down if you have it. Lower them all the way and hold the switch in the up position until they get all the way to the top, release it, the re-apply again in the up position for a second or two.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:28 AM
tadink
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey all - quick follow up question - my Indy indicates to me that there are 2 batteries, one under the driver's seat and one in the spare tire area? I have a 2005 CTT
His material also talks about removing the driver's seat to get at the battery - which is a 90 minute job. His quote was over $700 to do the replacement of both batteries....
I'm happy to do this myself, but maybe not eager to dive into removing the seat?
What's up? HOW specifically does one go about changing the battery(s)?
Thanks for your help -
TD
Napa
Old 02-14-2018, 12:53 PM
Avec
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by tadink
Hey all - quick follow up question - my Indy indicates to me that there are 2 batteries, one under the driver's seat and one in the spare tire area? I have a 2005 CTT
His material also talks about removing the driver's seat to get at the battery - which is a 90 minute job. His quote was over $700 to do the replacement of both batteries....
I'm happy to do this myself, but maybe not eager to dive into removing the seat?
What's up? HOW specifically does one go about changing the battery(s)?
Thanks for your help -
TD
Napa
Not all Cayennes have the second battery. You need to check for that in your car. It may be listed as an option if you enter your VIN into one of the decoders.

As for changing the battery, You do have to tilt the driver's seat back by unbolting it. It does not need to be removed from the car or even the electrical connections to the seat removed. It is a very easy DIY, with the only cost being the new battery. There are a number of DIYs on it. Here is the Pelican Parts write-up
https://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...eplacement.htm

I replaced my battery about 6 weeks ago and it took me about 30 minutes. Some will discuss hooking up a battery tender under the hood to maintain voltage in the system. I did not do this. After the battery install, I had a couple warnings on the dash, but the cleared the second time I started the car.
Old 02-14-2018, 01:59 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 141 Likes on 113 Posts

I agree with Avec.

The second battery is a pretty rare option, I think. If you have it, it would be underneath your spare tire. So easiest thing to do is look there. I've got a Bose subwoofer (I think) back there.

On removing the driver's seat - NO. You just remove two bolts and rock it back. The only tricky thing is that you need a M10 XZN (triple-square) socket to remove the two bolts in front of the driver's seat, allowing you to then rock it back. If you don't have a set of triple-square sockets, and you plan to do anything on your Cayenne or other modern Porsche/VW/Audi, that would be a good investment.

Some of the battery-removal tutorials and videos are more complicated than they need to be. Here's all I need to do on my 2004 S:
- driver's seat ....
- slide it all the way forward.
- remove the plastic covers on the rears of the seat rails. The thin long ones centered on each rail just pop up and back. The ones going around the sides of the rails basically slide straight back. They're pretty indestructible as long as you're pulling in the right direction.
- this step is semi-optional: peel back the carpet between the rear ends of the seat rails slightly to expose the lever-snaps on the rear corners of the black plastic battery cover. Undo those latches. If you skip this step, when you remove the front latches, the cover will just pivot about these rear ones. I've done it both ways, with no problems (but only to access the battery, not to remove it - maybe it's required when actually pulling the battery all the way out).
- slide the seat all the way rearward. Tilt it all the way forward.
- on the carpet on the floor right in front of the seat rails are two plastic covers, one on each side, aligned with the seat rails.
- remove those plastic covers - they just pop up and off
- underneath where the covers were will be a single M10 XZN screw (2 total - one under each cover). (Right there under where the cover is - not elsewhere - if you find those, don't remove them)
- remove those screws using your special socket. It is a slightly tight fit to get those screws, but it can be done, and is easier and better than removing carpet or other things I've seen in the videos, etc.
- the whole driver's seat assembly, including rails, will pivot rearward, so rock it back. To get it to go back all the way, after it clears the steering wheel, you will want to slide the seat forward so it can tilt further back.
- battery ...
- the cover is now easily visible, wire on top may have come unclipped when the seat went back
- undo the two front latches, lift the cover off, or tilt it rearward to expose the battery.
- rest of the job is just like any other battery. There will be hold down clamps, etc. to loosen / remove.
- I do like 3.2 Targa's tip about turning on parking lights. I'll probably make that a standard procedure of mine on all cars from now on. Makes sense, and not much downside, as long as you don't forget to turn them off at the end.

I'd find a different mechanic.

Here's the Pelican version, with photos. Very good, but it might have a few extra steps, and a little less detail (that I discovered on mine).
https://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...eplacement.htm

Also, here's a great battery thread:
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...ent-guide.html
It definitely has a few steps in there that I did not need. But has a ton more detail, including options for batteries.

Last edited by oldskewel; 02-14-2018 at 02:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Replacing battery