Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did I buy a lemon? 08 Cayenne S, need help

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 09:23 AM
justabout
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 212 Posts

On the “sleeving” repair, the replacement piston rings may not “ wear in” properly if using a steel liner and stock piston rings. I know someone who attempted this on a modern Audi. The rings never seated and he ended up buying a replacement short block from Audi. Would be interested in knowing how the Russians got around this.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:51 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Everyone on here is spot on. The fact that two plugs were oil fouled in less than 200 miles is pretty damning. They show no signs of preignition detonation or running lean which are the two cases that would melt your piston.

Do you have the ability to stuff a borescope down the plug hole and verify for yourself that it is indeed a melted piston? If they are wrong about that, then I think you have a legit chance of proving their incompetence and/or bad intentions of selling you a car with a scoring issues. You do have a leg to stand on if you can show that it is a scored cylinder and not a melted piston (which we are all pretty sure you will find.)

Go get a $25 scope on amazon and check it out. You need to take matters into your hands one way or another here or they are going to double screw you over.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:04 PM
diver110
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Before you hire a lawyer, check what the dollar limits are in small claims court in NC. If they are in the ballpark of what you might recover, and assuming the dealer is not being cooperative, that would typically be the way to go. Legal fees, likely $300 per hour+, can chew up a lot of money in a hurry. A lot will depend upon the competence of the judge, but small claims court judges are typically truth seeking and try to get to a fair result.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:38 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by Kirill
Why there was a misfire to begin with? The seller changed the plugs - did they break the engine by doing the work on plugs? Actually, the answer is no - it was broken before the seller got it. But if you have a misfire and big oil consumption - it needed the new engine anyway melted piston or not.

The wisdom on Russian cayenne forums is to sleeve the engine in case of scored cylinders - that creates an engine that will last a long time. But there are people who are experienced in the process - I don't think that many cayennes in US\Canada had engine sleeves installed. Cost is about 10k$
Look at: https://928motorsports.com/services/...ock_repair.php - about $5k, then the cost of R&R of the engine, disassembly and reassembly.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:36 PM
Kirill
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by justabout
On the “sleeving” repair, the replacement piston rings may not “ wear in” properly if using a steel liner and stock piston rings. I know someone who attempted this on a modern Audi. The rings never seated and he ended up buying a replacement short block from Audi. Would be interested in knowing how the Russians got around this.
Don't have the full picture, but some are using KOLBENSCHMIDT aluminum sleeves - these are the guys who make the blocks from Porsche, Jaguar, BMW. KOLBENSCHMIDT even has the sleeving manual for repairing their blocks.
There are also some shops who are using Fiat sleeves, some BMW piston, some Toyota parts.

Last edited by Kirill; 12-05-2017 at 10:36 PM.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:28 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Many have offered really good advice. One more tip- if you EVER get a flashing CEL, pull over and shut the engine down immediately. It means that there is significant risk of catastrophic failure. Driving on a flashing CEL is really, really bad idea. The Porsche dealer gave you terrible advice.

I hope you get it sorted out to your satisfaction. My hat is off to you for your calm demeanor!

Cheers,
TomF
Old 12-06-2017, 03:11 AM
mungojerie
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, TomF I'm stressing about the financial implications, for sure.

Everyone, here's a pic of the piston from the seller's borescope. This was taken last Saturday. Thoughts? Seller remains insistent that the piston melting would be caused by driving on the misfire. I'm unsure. Most important thing really is a cost-effective solution.

Old 12-06-2017, 10:58 AM
Kirill
Racer

Originally Posted by mungojerie
. Most important thing really is a cost-effective solution.
Without getting into details who will pay for it. I see following options to get this cayenne back on the road: We also not sure what state the engine is in. But assuming damage is limited to just 1 piston and cylinder walls are scored:

1. Used engine from eBay.6-10 grand
2. Use 928 that @deilenberger mentioned to rebuilt the block and then rebuilding the engine with new pistons 8-10 grand
3. Use some race shop to rebuild engine using sleeves - 8-10 grand if done right - you may get the special cayenne that will last a long time.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:13 AM
mungojerie
Intermediate

Thank you. Interestingly, the seller is offering to try to sleeve it. The main mechanic has done it before, but not on a Cayenne. Not sure what charge they'll propose. Given the current engine seems done otherwise, is there any risk beyond opportunity cost of paying a lot more to have someone else do it?
Old 12-06-2017, 11:24 AM
mungojerie
Intermediate

Also, any chance older model engines fit into the 08 Cayenne? I know the older ones weren't direct injection, but do they fit in the 08? I bet not, but I'm grasping over here!
Old 12-06-2017, 11:25 AM
Kirill
Racer

Thank you. Interestingly, the seller is offering to try to sleeve it. The main mechanic has done it before, but not on a Cayenne. Not sure what charge they'll propose. Given the current engine seems done otherwise, is there any risk beyond opportunity cost of paying a lot more to have someone else do it?
It's complicated, but it can be done. I attached a document - you will need to read it (i didn't) and see if you confident in the "main mechanic" doing the repair.
You will have to be the Project Manager & QA on this and inspect, question and document everything. Ask what warranty you will get on this work.
Attached Images
Old 12-06-2017, 12:15 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Also, any chance older model engines fit into the 08 Cayenne? I know the older ones weren't direct injection, but do they fit in the 08? I bet not, but I'm grasping over here!
Fit? Maybe. Work - no. Too many differences and different computer control of the engine. You need a same era engine. Quite a few pop up on Ebay - from $2k-5k (depending on condition and miles and what they leave on the engine like alternator, AC compressor, etc.)
Old 12-06-2017, 03:45 PM
jfort
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

I didn't see this mentioned, but in my experience (2004 S) there is a distinct clicking along with the fouled plug caused by the scored cylinder.
Old 12-09-2017, 02:29 PM
mungojerie
Intermediate

Default Fix without rebuild?

One mechanic thinks it may be fixable without a full rebuild.

Any chance that's the case?
Old 12-09-2017, 03:19 PM
981S2013
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One mechanic thinks it may be fixable without a full rebuild.

Any chance that's the case?
There's really no way for any of us to tell remotely... But if that is the case, then the seller should take it back, refund your money, fix it, and re-sell it....

Quick Reply: Did I buy a lemon? 08 Cayenne S, need help