Sponsored by:

To turbo or not to turbo,

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 02:55 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,160 Likes on 767 Posts

Originally Posted by diver110
So, pre-2011, the Cayenne had a low range option that is not in post-2011? That strikes me as a big deal. Admittedly, I don't use low range on my "trail ready" Jeep GC very often, but I certainly think it is nice to have. And I do use it some. Also, even though I would only do light offroading in the Cayenne, what if I screw up and go down the wrong trail (it happens)? Nice to have low range to extract one from one's stupidity. Fully agree about the tires being a big deal. I run offroad tires on my Jeep, though not very aggressive ones.
I think the value of the low range is really dependent on what the owner intends to do with the P!G.. I had it on my '06 CS - and aside from once switching to it to see if it worked - NEVER used it for anything useful. Hence - I don't miss it at all on my 958 CTT. If you plan on a lot of off-road use - then it has value, otherwise not so much IMHO.
Old 11-28-2017, 02:56 PM
diver110
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Correct, both the 955 and 957 have the low range for some serious off-roading that the 958 and newer do not. You should look up some of the videos when Porsche first released the Cayenne and what it was capable off while swaddling you in leather, Bose sound, and A/C.
Thanks. That does kind of push me to 2008-2010, even though the need is pretty limited.
Old 11-28-2017, 03:12 PM
NelaK
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

I've been driving a 2017 Cayenne for the past couple weeks while my 2009 Turbo S is in the shop. Even being 8 years newer there's just no comparison between the two. I imagine the difference between a 2011 Cayenne and a Turbo would be even larger. Features like PDCC and PASM make a much bigger difference than simply a newer model year. The biggest difference I've noticed has been the PCM can feel dated on the older models but its easily upgraded with aftermarket units if that is a concern for you. Asides from that, the Turbo will include a lot of little features standard which you wouldn't think of that just make life a lot more pleasant. Plus its the Turbo. You can buy the base model but I guarantee you'll always wonder 'what if'.
Old 11-28-2017, 03:32 PM
diver110
Racer

Originally Posted by NelaK
I've been driving a 2017 Cayenne for the past couple weeks while my 2009 Turbo S is in the shop. Even being 8 years newer there's just no comparison between the two. I imagine the difference between a 2011 Cayenne and a Turbo would be even larger. Features like PDCC and PASM make a much bigger difference than simply a newer model year. The biggest difference I've noticed has been the PCM can feel dated on the older models but its easily upgraded with aftermarket units if that is a concern for you. Asides from that, the Turbo will include a lot of little features standard which you wouldn't think of that just make life a lot more pleasant. Plus its the Turbo. You can buy the base model but I guarantee you'll always wonder 'what if'.
Thanks. I am leaning back that way, especially after Petza reminded me about performance at altitude. Back when I lived in Colorado, I had a Saab Turbo. Flew through the mountains. The hard part will be finding one. A turbo looks manageable. A Turbo S not so much.
Old 11-28-2017, 04:06 PM
porschefan931
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Turbo all of the things!
Old 11-29-2017, 10:58 AM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 304 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
I think the value of the low range is really dependent on what the owner intends to do with the P!G.. I had it on my '06 CS - and aside from once switching to it to see if it worked - NEVER used it for anything useful. Hence - I don't miss it at all on my 958 CTT. If you plan on a lot of off-road use - then it has value, otherwise not so much IMHO.
As with most things, the 'personal preference' is key.

Low range when off roading is kinda like a fire extinguisher. Most of the time, you don't need it. But, when you need it, you really need it and not much else will substitute.

While I rarely go off road, there are a couple of places I go that have a really steep hill. Going into low makes climbing or descending much, much easier.
Also, when backing a trailer, the "super slow" of low range makes it easier.
Old 11-29-2017, 11:22 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 625 Likes on 480 Posts

I have a feeling most here have not off-roaded with a 958 and 957 and instead are echoing internet banter. Off-road capability for a Cayenne is not limited whatsoever by the 2-speed transfer case or lack thereof! As anyone who has tested these vehicles off-road will know, it's the tires and ground clearance that will limit the vehicle, not the transfer case! The folks stating it will limit the vehicle's capabilities might have a point if 34+ inch tires could be fitted and the vehicle could be lifted so it could take on true advanced rock climbing trails. But they can't, so it doesn't. I find the 2-speed transfer case can be inconvenient in that you need to stop or slow significantly to get out of Low mode if your trail speed increases over 25 or so which happens on rocky trails that enter a lengthy wash, for example. Having off-roaded a 957 and 958 in the rocky west-coast trails that get washed out and extremely rocky when rain ever hits, the 2-speed transfer case has never been missed and if anything, I prefer the 958 system. We have yet to see a 958 have to "go back" because it didn't have a low range transfer case.
Old 11-29-2017, 02:42 PM
diver110
Racer

Originally Posted by Wisconsin Joe
As with most things, the 'personal preference' is key.

Low range when off roading is kinda like a fire extinguisher. Most of the time, you don't need it. But, when you need it, you really need it and not much else will substitute.

While I rarely go off road, there are a couple of places I go that have a really steep hill. Going into low makes climbing or descending much, much easier.
Also, when backing a trailer, the "super slow" of low range makes it easier.
That is also my experience. Offroad, it is better to have something and not need it, than need it and not have it. Getting towed off of a trail....I dont want to even think about it.
Old 11-29-2017, 03:54 PM
user 83838290
Banned

Received 471 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by garrett376
I have a feeling most here have not off-roaded with a 958 and 957 and instead are echoing internet banter. Off-road capability for a Cayenne is not limited whatsoever by the 2-speed transfer case or lack thereof! As anyone who has tested these vehicles off-road will know, it's the tires and ground clearance that will limit the vehicle, not the transfer case! The folks stating it will limit the vehicle's capabilities might have a point if 34+ inch tires could be fitted and the vehicle could be lifted so it could take on true advanced rock climbing trails. But they can't, so it doesn't. I find the 2-speed transfer case can be inconvenient in that you need to stop or slow significantly to get out of Low mode if your trail speed increases over 25 or so which happens on rocky trails that enter a lengthy wash, for example. Having off-roaded a 957 and 958 in the rocky west-coast trails that get washed out and extremely rocky when rain ever hits, the 2-speed transfer case has never been missed and if anything, I prefer the 958 system. We have yet to see a 958 have to "go back" because it didn't have a low range transfer case.
You can lift the pig and you can put 33” on it and it’s pretty seriously capable off road
My friend and I have found the limit of a lifted Q7 with a 4.2 v8 tdi on 33” (same transmission and drivetrain setup as a 958) on a really steep climb - even with more than 700lbft torque, the q7 was not able to climb it. A lifted 957 TTS on the same 33” with low range went up and down the same hill like it was nothing.
Maybe I could dig up a video somewhere, until then, look at the lifted 957 on 33s.

Last edited by user 83838290; 08-22-2020 at 07:24 PM.
Old 11-29-2017, 04:05 PM
diver110
Racer

I am not that surprised, Lupo. I have never tried it, but I would think turbos would not be that helpful on the trail. In my experience, it is more about torque.
Old 11-30-2017, 02:50 AM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Niiiiiice, Lupo. Can you tell us more about that setup? Looks like he went nuts with some LED lighting up front as well...
Old 11-30-2017, 02:58 AM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Also, I am sure many of us would love to see that video.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:53 AM
diver110
Racer

Just rereading this thread. One of other advantage of going older is that it is cheaper. If you bang something up offroad, it is not quite as painful. I am in the middle of downsizing to a condo. Cash flow wise, I need to put that behind me before I pull the trigger. Keeping an eye on the market, though. I wonder if I will be able to get an after market warranty on 955/57. I assume certified is out.
Old 10-15-2018, 12:04 PM
NelaK
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

I wouldn't bother with after market warranty at this point. There are companies that will offer it but when you read the fine print you'll realize it's a whole lot of nothing.

They'll do things like really low life time maximum pay outs. I had one company offer me a special limited time deal of only $3500 for 2 years of coverage.. with a life time maximum of $5000, $200 deductible and coverage only on things strictly required to get the engine to turn over.

Just set aside the money you'd spend on a extended warranty in a separate account. It'll be the same thing.
Old 10-15-2018, 12:29 PM
diver110
Racer

Smile

Originally Posted by NelaK
I wouldn't bother with after market warranty at this point. There are companies that will offer it but when you read the fine print you'll realize it's a whole lot of nothing.

They'll do things like really low life time maximum pay outs. I had one company offer me a special limited time deal of only $3500 for 2 years of coverage.. with a life time maximum of $5000, $200 deductible and coverage only on things strictly required to get the engine to turn over.

Just set aside the money you'd spend on a extended warranty in a separate account. It'll be the same thing.
Thanks for the feedback. I am paranoid about the engine blowing up in the first 100 feet post-purchase....

Quick Reply: To turbo or not to turbo,