Sponsored by:

Cayenne Recall 2003-06

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 07:37 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by spooltime
It's described in the memo as a "voluntary" recall. I don't know if the NHTSA site only lists mandatory recalls or not.
"voluntary" means the manufacturer initiated the recall (usually as a result of knowing of an ongoing NHTSA investigation into a problem), "mandatory" are recalls the government agency initiates when a manufacturer doesn't cooperate.

Originally Posted by Consumers Reports:
What it is: Most recalls of defective products are characterized as "voluntary," a confusing term that can lead consumers to believe that the recall is optional. But voluntary recall is just government-speak for a deal that a manufacturer or retailer of a hazardous product has negotiated with the federal agency in charge of overseeing the safety of that product category. Voluntary recall would also seem to indicate that there are “mandatory recalls” that can be issued by the government should manufacturers or retailers refuse to cooperate, but nearly all the recalls announced last year were voluntary.
NTSA lists all recalls.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:32 PM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

A dealer Master Tech told me they have received a list of ALL affected VINs. Wait for your NHTSA letters...
Old 09-25-2017, 11:57 PM
jeff spahn
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 221 Posts

I called my dealer. They said they have no knowledge of a recall for this on 2003-2006 Cayenne. Said it only applied to 2016 Cayenne. I'll be finding another dealer.
Old 09-27-2017, 01:21 PM
spooltime
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

The recall is now posted at the NHTSA website. After doing an inquiry on my CTTS's VIN, the following came back:

Sep 27,2017

Manufacturer Recall NumberAH10

NHTSA Recall Number17V-576

Recall StatusRecall Incomplete

Summary
Fine hairline cracks can appear, after an extended period of use, on the filter flange of the fuel pump of the affected vehicles.

Safety Risk
External aging exposure and oxidization reduces the component strength over an extended vehicle life. Additionally, fuel components intrude into the fuel filter flange material under pressure from the inside and cause tension within the component Porsche believes that the combination of both may, over time, eventually lead to the formation of small cracks, allowing fuel to seep from the fuel filter flange. Fuel leakage in the presence of an ignition source may cause a risk of fire

Remedy
Vehicles affected by this action will be recalled to the workshop to have filter flanges exchanged with newer filter flanges and a protective film will be fitted to the parts.

Manufacturer's Notes

If the manufacturer has failed or is unable to remedy this safety recall for your vehicle in a timely manner,
please contact the NHTSA Vehicle Safety Hotline at: 1-888-327-4236 or TTY: 1-800-424-9153 or file an online complaint with NHTSA.

Next step for me is to contact the dealer and discuss reimbursement since I already paid full freight to them to fix this issue.
Old 09-27-2017, 02:01 PM
Dilberto
Drifting

Spooltime, how did you get this internal Porsche memo so fast initially?
Old 09-27-2017, 02:14 PM
Porsche_Turbo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_Turbo
You can look up all open recalls associated with the vin here:

https://vinrcl.safercar.gov/vin/vinLookup

Looks like my 04 CTT is not one of the 50,145.
I take that back. NOW my CTT is listed as having this recall.

Kinda happy about it
Attached Images  
Old 09-27-2017, 02:55 PM
spooltime
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Dilberto
Spooltime, how did you get this internal Porsche memo so fast initially?
I happened to see a news article about the recall (apparently the day or day after it was announced), so I went to the Porsche NA website and found the item I posted. I have a real interest in this because I recently paid my dealer a good amount of cash to replace my fuel pumps because of the overwhelming fuel smell.

My plan is to seek a reimbursement. If they won't reimburse, then obviously they will need to perform the recall action on my CTTS. Maybe they'll do both.
Old 09-27-2017, 05:10 PM
grouchy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Mine comes up now. The dealership had not heard of the recall, but when I gave the internal recall number, AH10, they were able to pull it up right away.

The notice just says "consult internal team for part numbers and guidance" or some such. So it sounds like Porsche has not published the tools and parts required for the repair yet.
Old 09-27-2017, 09:36 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

Interesting. Too bad I already did this work to my S after a fuel leak, but I will take the Turbo in ASAP.
Old 09-27-2017, 10:40 PM
Dilberto
Drifting

It will take MONTHS before the parts ship, from Germany. The revised part is a integrated, one-piece Flange/Filter unit now. The previous VDO replacement units were two pieces bolted together....meaning if you wanted to replace only the filter, it was cheap and easy. So, the new units are more robust, but once the fuel filter clogs-up again... expect to be buying the new, superceded units(pictured):
Attached Images  
Old 09-28-2017, 11:02 AM
Porsche_Turbo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got off the phone with my Porsche dealer. They were just informed about it yesterday. Also, mentioned Porsche have not stocked them with parts/procedure to complete this recall yet (lead time 2 weeks for this to happen). After that, I can schedule the appointment.

They mentioned it "looks like a 1-2hr quick repair".
Old 09-29-2017, 12:38 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_Turbo
Just got off the phone with my Porsche dealer. They were just informed about it yesterday. Also, mentioned Porsche have not stocked them with parts/procedure to complete this recall yet (lead time 2 weeks for this to happen). After that, I can schedule the appointment.

They mentioned it "looks like a 1-2hr quick repair".
Do they KNOW where the fuel pump/filters are??
Old 09-29-2017, 05:08 PM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by dhc905
My 2006 CTT doesn't seem to be on this list. Anyone found their pig on this?
Mine is.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:39 AM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Default My '06 CTTS is on the list. Do the Fuel pumps at the same time?

Part of the labor will be done or will the dealer deduct the labor from one job from the other? I was going to do them as preventative in the next year or so. I did buy a new filter but hadn't purchased the pumps yet. Guess I wasted money on the old 2 piece VDO unit.
Old 10-09-2017, 01:46 PM
vandal968
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got a 2004 Cayenne Turbo two weeks ago, it is on the recall list (just checked VIN). Yesterday, walking past it in the garage I got a faint wiff of fuel while walking past the rear driver's side door. Sniffing around, I didn't detect it again. There is no smell in the car. Could this be related to this recall, or something else?

cheers,
c

Quick Reply: Cayenne Recall 2003-06