2004 Cayenne S - Turbo Cluster Upgrade - Fail

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 11:19 AM
Peter Hunt
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Cayenne S - Turbo Cluster Upgrade - Fail

Hi Board,

I'd read a lot about upgrading the gauge cluster on a Cayenne S to the turbo gauge cluster. Much better graphics, etc. So I bought a turbo gauge cluster from eBay and did the install. Sure enough, the display in the center is bright, clear and colorful, much better than the faded pixels in the S gauge cluster.

However...

I immediately ran into problems. After a lot of investigation using Durametric, turns out the cluster was unable to see a number of modules, leading to bogus error messages.

The root of the problem is, I believe, that although the cluster I bought came from an 03 or 04 Cayenne Turbo, the cluster in my S is a different generation. So far as I've been able to determine, there are 2 variants, distinguished by a sticker on top of the cluster - RB4 and RB8. Internet research reveals that the wiring harness RB4 cluster has the CAN gateway internally on the cluster; the RB8 harness has the CAN gateway as a separate module reportedly under the glovebox. So, although you can swap a S cluster for a Turbo cluster, for it to work you need to make sure you're swapping within the same RBx family. In my case, the S cluster was an RB8 and the turbo cluster was an RB4.

It's also worth noting that the odometer reading comes from data stored in the cluster, so if you are swapping for a used cluster, be aware of the mileage on the donor car. Documenting the miles on each cluster with a picture might be a good idea.

Anyone with a turbo, RB8 cluster want to swap for a turbo RB4 cluster?
Old 08-24-2017, 07:41 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,159 Likes on 3,925 Posts

Nothing is ever easy, is it? Thanks for sharing the info.
Old 10-26-2017, 12:27 AM
Peter Hunt
8th Gear

Default Turbo Cluster Fail Part Deux

Finally got round to buying an RB8 Cluster. Call me a glutton for punishment, but I really want this thing to work.

So this one came out of a 2005 turbo. Lo it is an RB8 cluster, both the sticker on top and the info screen from Durametric say so. Just like the non-turbo cluster that it is to replace. So, thinking I have the right cluster this time, in it went. And back out it came. Got a Workshop error, and an “Oil pressure too low” error. Tried to look at the gateway, to see if there were any interesting codes there. Couldn’t see the gateway with the new (turbo) cluster in. No useful coding options available for the cluster via Durametric, so the old, LED cluster is back in.

So, to recap:
P!g is a 2004 Cayenne S (non-Turbo). Working gauge cluster is an RB8 non-turbo LED cluster. I now own 2 Turbo gauge clusters; one is from a 2004 Cayenne GTS and is an RB4; the other is from a 2005 Cayenne GTS and is an RB8. Neither of the GTS clusters work in the P!g.

Any advice here? Anyone in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area do coding? Would a dealer code this for me, do ya think?
Old 10-26-2017, 09:38 PM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Sorry, but you need a PIWIS coding...
Old 01-28-2018, 01:38 PM
Peter Hunt
8th Gear

Any suggestions on where I might be able to get the PIWIS coding done, near Dallas/Ft. Worth TX? All sorts of Indy BMW tuners out there, can’t find one that does Porsche though.
Old 01-28-2018, 01:57 PM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Nine-Eleven Automotive, NW Dallas. (972)241-2002.
Old 01-28-2018, 07:18 PM
Peter Hunt
8th Gear

Thank you sir, I’ll give them a shout.
Old 01-29-2018, 05:01 AM
PigsInSpace
Cruisin'

Can you educate me as to what a PIWIS coding is ?
I have a similar problem on my 04 Turbo that has a non turbo cluster that functions fine. When i changed to a Turbo cluster, i got a low oil pressure warning.
Old 01-29-2018, 12:18 PM
Peter Hunt
8th Gear

Originally Posted by PigsInSpace
Can you educate me as to what a PIWIS coding is ?
I have a similar problem on my 04 Turbo that has a non turbo cluster that functions fine. When i changed to a Turbo cluster, i got a low oil pressure warning.
PIWIS is a Porsche proprietary tool used to talk to the various computers on your car. Coding is setting the values in the computers’ chipsets to configure the computer to work properly with the equipment installed on the car. Apparently some turbo upgrade swaps work fine without coding, others not so much.
Old 02-01-2018, 07:17 PM
porsche911md
Intermediate

All the electric programming in these newer cars will make swapping parts a headache for the the DIY guys... why?!
Old 02-04-2018, 03:33 PM
Martynban
Track Day

Hi
i tried the same thing... also got an oil pressure low fault and suspension faults. Two hours at the porsche dealership later i found out they cant code the new cluster. Seems like an expensive lesson i learnt lol. Ended up putting the original clister back in after replacing the lcd screen which was failing.
Old 01-30-2022, 04:48 PM
ShannonRawls
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Peter Hunt
Finally got round to buying an RB8 Cluster. Call me a glutton for punishment, but I really want this thing to work.

So this one came out of a 2005 turbo. Lo it is an RB8 cluster, both the sticker on top and the info screen from Durametric say so. Just like the non-turbo cluster that it is to replace. So, thinking I have the right cluster this time, in it went. And back out it came. Got a Workshop error, and an “Oil pressure too low” error. Tried to look at the gateway, to see if there were any interesting codes there. Couldn’t see the gateway with the new (turbo) cluster in. No useful coding options available for the cluster via Durametric, so the old, LED cluster is back in.

So, to recap:
P!g is a 2004 Cayenne S (non-Turbo). Working gauge cluster is an RB8 non-turbo LED cluster. I now own 2 Turbo gauge clusters; one is from a 2004 Cayenne GTS and is an RB4; the other is from a 2005 Cayenne GTS and is an RB8. Neither of the GTS clusters work in the P!g.

Any advice here? Anyone in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area do coding? Would a dealer code this for me, do ya think?
do you still have that 2005 Turbo cluster?
mine went out and I need to buy one.

Quick Reply: 2004 Cayenne S - Turbo Cluster Upgrade - Fail