Advice from the Professionals on an interesting situation

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 05:38 PM
DDM4
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice from the Professionals on an interesting situation

Hello,

I have been looking into picking up a Cayenne S for some time.
In doing so, I found one that seems to fit the bill, however upon running the carfax - It shows that there was an airbag deployment, but no accidents - and that the "Airbag deployment disclosed by seller
Vehicle offered for sale"

After reaching out to the dealer that sold the vehicle to the previous owner, the service advisor said it looks like the Takata airbag recall was in fact performed. Again, the Carfax shows an Airbag Deployment and then under the accident portion says no accidents and is a green check..

It is a 44k mile -$29k Cayenne S in perfect condition - however I am a bit taken back by the airbag situation. Selling Dealer is stating that he looked into it as well and that the previous seller disclosed that the airbag was changed, causing the deployment flag.

If anyone has access to Carfax or DDW, here is the VIN: WP1AB2A24BLA48286

Please review the Carfax and tell me what you think. Has anyone seen the recall being performed where it flags the carfax?

Thank you all!

DDM4
Old 07-26-2017, 08:32 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

I believe Porsche, or at least Cayenne, never used the Takata airbags. Delphi was the supplier I believe, and there is no "recall" on airbags on any Cayenne.

I'd keep looking - the branding on Carfax will stay with it forever and make it worth less and harder to sell when you grow tired/bored of it.
Old 07-27-2017, 12:13 AM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 183 Likes on 135 Posts

If you buy a Turbo your whole life will be better.
Old 07-27-2017, 02:35 AM
phatz
Burning Brakes

Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts

Wrong place to get a Cayenne
https://www.yelp.com/biz/amg-motors-dumfries
Old 07-27-2017, 09:35 AM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts

Like Don said...

http://autoweek.com/article/car-news...one-handy-list

I never rely on a dealer for factual information about a vehicle.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:24 AM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

I have not heard anything about an airbag recall on the Cayenne either. Cayenne S's are all over the place. You need to be picky and get a good one, as people are subtly indicating you may grow tired of it quickly and opt for a turbo model if you are an enthusiast.

Wow, from the reviews on yelp you would have to question everything these guys tell you. I have no idea how they can still be in business from that many terrible stories posted. Keep looking for sure.
Old 07-28-2017, 09:48 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by nodoors
Wow, from the reviews on yelp...
Bad experiences tend to draw more attention than good ones. That and a used car dealer with questionable practices? NO, SAY IT AIN'T SO!

I'd steer clear even without the bad reviews. There's lots of S models out there, certainly enough to make it worth a little more shopping around.
Old 08-01-2017, 02:11 AM
phatz
Burning Brakes

Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Sold

Looks like DDM couldnt resist it
Old 08-01-2017, 12:41 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by wkearney99
Bad experiences tend to draw more attention than good ones. That and a used car dealer with questionable practices? NO, SAY IT AIN'T SO!

I'd steer clear even without the bad reviews. There's lots of S models out there, certainly enough to make it worth a little more shopping around.
Did you read some of the stories? It was a bit more nefarious than your typical jerkwad used car dealer. There was a common thread of selling crashed cars to people with fake carfax reports they had produced among the other complaints of awful business tactics.
Old 08-01-2017, 02:22 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 106 Posts

Did you read some of the stories? It was a bit more nefarious than your typical jerkwad used car dealer. There was a common thread of selling crashed cars to people with fake carfax reports they had produced among the other complaints of awful business tactics.
Oh, I did read them, and little of it surprises me in the realm of independent user car dealerships not otherwise affiliated with a manufacturer. There's always the chance of finding a diamond in the rough from such places. Not a gamble I'd willingly take though.
Old 08-01-2017, 03:57 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

It's just amazing to me that people like that can stay in business in these modern times.
Old 08-02-2017, 11:59 AM
reeddnlsn
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think your first mistake is shopping at a used car dealer in a place called Dumfries...

Your second mistake is shopping for an S and not a Turbo.
Old 08-02-2017, 06:20 PM
19psi
Burning Brakes

Received 146 Likes on 100 Posts

lol...I was reading before I headed out to work and had to bookmark it so I could continue when I got home. Each story got better and better.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:59 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Right?!?! hahaha. I was pretty intrigued by it as well. Kind of like watching a train wreck...

Quick Reply: Advice from the Professionals on an interesting situation