Heated Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 01:55 PM
Joel 67
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Heated Steering Wheel

Hello,

Does anyone know how the heated steering wheel is constructed? In a separate post, I was looking for suggestions on someone who could re-wrap my steering wheel. In the process of that discovery, one of the service providers mentioned that depending on the construction of the heating system, they may or may not be able to maintain it's functionality. Apparently some companies manufacture wheels with the heating element in the wheel core, while others use a wire mesh just under the cover. Those who use the former are recoverable while those using the latter generally are not.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:39 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,143 Likes on 759 Posts

Joel - what year Cayenne? There were different wheels used - especially on the 958 series.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:39 PM
Joel 67
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It's a 2012 Don
Old 07-26-2017, 11:47 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 184 Likes on 136 Posts

I think I remember several vendors saying that they were not able to save the heated function on the Cayenne wheel. If that is the case we can only assume it is the mesh type and that it not an available part. I bet it gets glued to the back of the leather/wheel rim and cannot be salvaged. Hmm, now that I have a gorgeous Turbo S wheel that I purchased from Petza914 maybe I will do a reverse engineering take on my old standard turbo wheel. It's pretty wore out. Hey Petza, I think your going to have a part of your Cayenne in a record breaker!
Old 07-27-2017, 09:19 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,188 Likes on 3,945 Posts

Cool

I believe that only the leather wheels were offer with the heating option, and not the wood or CF ones, which probably means it's the wrapped elementary type and not the core type, or with these other materials, they're worried about the heat drying out the adhesives or cracking the material.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:21 AM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

If you really care about the option because you or a loved one has raynauds or something, it probably would not be hard to just install your own heating element wires in the steering wheel under the new leather. To be safe, you could hard wire it to a new circuit from the drivers' side fusebox and switch it on and off via relay from the old wiring from the factory heating elements.

...or if you are slightly geeky, you could measure the resistance of the heating element of the factory one and do your best to replace with another heating element and shorten or lengthen it to match the resistance the best you can.

If I were in your shoes I would probably spend the time and effort since I really like the heated wheel in cold weather.

Quick Reply: Heated Steering Wheel