Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$20k to spend - '97 Boxster or C5 Vette?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2003, 01:51 PM
high_rpm
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $20k to spend - '97 Boxster or C5 Vette?

I know that I'm going to get biased opinions here in my search for an answer to the Boxster vs. Corvette question, but I am considering both cars right now as my new toy car. The '97 models are both similarly priced ($20k or less in Michigan). Are there members here that own both cars, or that switched to a Boxster from a Vette and vice versa? What would you recommend?

I have owned an '85 911 and a '91 C4 in the past, but am looking for something with a removable roof/convertible top. The Corvette would be the faster car, but it is very large and wide (plus the Chevy reliable comes into question). The Boxster is more tossable, and has more of a small roadster feel to it.

From the owners - what are your reliability experiences for these cars? I haven't heard many horror stories from either car on this board.

Thanks for your input.

Mike
Old 11-22-2003, 07:48 PM
KJM3SMG
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

tough choice there.. if it was a Boxster S then I'd say hell no to the C5.. but with an older Boxster vs C5.. depends on the C5. If you can get a nicely priced C5 vette (year and mileage), you are better off with the vette despite it's interior and Chevy nameplate. A lot more mods for u too if u want. Only thing that I didn't like was the manual convertible that was a pain in the butt to work..

KJ
karljay.com/cars

my 2002 M3 SMG - 19" rims, 8000k HIDs, Formula One tints, Naxxos fogs
2000 Boxster S - B&M Short Shifter, Naxxos Xenons
Old 11-22-2003, 10:01 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, I AM very biased...and I have a strong general distaste for Corvettes, so to me the answer is obvious. But to help you with your decision...my '99 (the second I've owned) has been solid with no problems to speak of. I drive it every day and am planning on driving it through winters. From everything I've heard, Boxsters so far have proven very reliable. If you're looking at early ones, just be sure to have them checked out thoroughly by a qualified mechanic or dealer. Take the time to find a good example. Then enjoy!

Old 11-23-2003, 10:37 AM
PaulStewart
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Based on your past experiences of owning and driving Porsches, I'm guessing you haven't driven the Corvette yet.

If so, drive both on a back road, and I think your choice will be clear.
Old 11-24-2003, 12:09 AM
high_rpm
Track Day

You're exactly right, I haven't driven the Corvette. They seem like very large vehicles, especially compared to a nimble Boxster. But since both can be had for the same price, the Corvette's horsepower advantage is something to definitely consider.

Are there known problem areas on the '97 models? I don't remember reading much about issues with the first year cars.
Old 11-26-2003, 06:06 PM
achtung
1st Gear

If I were you I would go with the Vette. I know, this is the Boxster board and all but... I own a 01' "S" and my dad has a 01 C5. The Vette is a fun car. It actually handles quite well, it is not as heavy as you think. Yes the interior plastics and leather are not as nice as the P-car.

First of all the Boxster is pretty reliable but not perfect. They have many known problems such as the dreaded RMS failure. There are also numberous engine failures in low milage cars that stays pretty quiet. I would be willing to say the C5 is less problematic although I am not sure about the 97. Also the 97 Boxster you are looking at has the 2.5L engine.
It just does not have enough pep in my opinion.

Now if you had 35K. I would say go find an "s".

FYI - My 01 "S" has 10K miles and no problems, ever. Same with my dad's C5. I enjoy driving his car, but I can tell he likes driving mine more!
Old 12-08-2003, 11:16 PM
porsche1662
Racer

The Boxster is a much better choice, I have owned both, but get a least the 2.7 Boxster if you cant get into the S price range. My 01 vette rode like a bucket of bolts, and did not handle anything like a Boxster. I have owned all 3 versions of the Boxster over the last 4- years.
Old 12-10-2003, 04:31 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,221 Likes on 1,253 Posts

I would stay away from a 1997 Vette. Go with a 98 if you decide on a Corvette at all. Why? The first year of any change has always been a bad year. 1963, 1968, 1984 and 1997. I don't know about the boxster but Chevy usually needs a complete run to work out the big problems.
Same reason why I know a few people waiting for the 2nd year GTO.
Old 12-11-2003, 11:16 AM
Bill Coleman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know - if I could find a '63 Corvette for a reasonable price I might buy it. After 40 years they might have all the bugs worked out.

And the GTO may be a new model for the US, but they've been making them in Australia since sometime in 2001. But in any case if I had $30k to spend on a car, it wouldn't be a new GTO - but maybe an old one!
Old 12-17-2003, 02:10 PM
Vampyre
Racer

I own both cars
a 1997 Boxster and a 1998 C5 Corvette, and they are both different beasts. What do you plan on using the car for? Daily Driver / Trips / Saturday & Sunday?

The Boxster has style and is fun to drive, but under powered.

The Vette is a beast and very fast and easy to mod, and handles like it is on rails with the Z51 suspension and AH.

If you haven't driven a C5 (older Vettes don't count) Then drive one, you will have one BIG Smile on your face.

Stay away from the 1997 Vette as it is the first year and has some bugs.

If you want more info e-mail me, I don't feel like getting flamed becuase of the cars I own.

-Vampyre
Old 12-17-2003, 04:05 PM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Received 790 Likes on 414 Posts

Bottom line - do you love Porsche's or Chevy's?
Old 12-17-2003, 04:49 PM
Vampyre
Racer

Bottom line.. I love both cars

Both cars are different, I love them both, and didn't want to decide between the two.

I have been a Big Porsche fan for years and NEVER liked the Corvette at all (Untill the C5 came out)

But after driving a C5, I just had to have one, if you haven't driven one, then I would say drive a C5, you will be surprised.

These are different cars and each has it owns Pro's and Con's. As I posted earlier , it depends on what you want to do with the car.

Street racing / SCCA events / Sunday driver / Solo driving / Mods / Daliy driver / use it in the winter or just summer?

Is storage space for trips an issue, do you travel alone?

-Vampyre
Old 12-18-2003, 03:04 PM
Niels Jørgensen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Vampyre,

Though I have neither of the two cars in question, and though I really wouldn't be without my 928, I applaud your choice of cars - they both look awesome.

I have never driven a C5 - they're horribly expensive in Denmark (We're talking 996 prices here ~$200K taxed), but if prices had been anywhere close to what you pay in the US, I would definately have considered it.

A convertible C5 would look neat next to the 928 - you can call it whatever you want, but there's just something potent about V8s that 6 or 4 cylinder cars can only dream of. Besides ****ty fuel economy, of course
Old 12-18-2003, 08:25 PM
Vampyre
Racer

Thanks for the vote on my cars, Niels. Most people either like one or the other. Your right about the charm of a V8, there is just something about it.

I hope to answer HIGH_RPM's questions these are IMHO so no flames.

HIGH_RPM's question
I am looking for something with a removable roof/convertible top.

VAMPYRE's answer
Both the C5 and Boxster can do this.

The Boxster is by far the better in this aspect. The top is easy to rasie and lower. The wind and wind noise are low with the top down. You will not have a hurricane going through your car. WINDSTOP OPTION is Needed or else it is windy in the car at speed.

The plastic rear window might be foggy on 1997 / 1998 Boxster. I have a 1997 and mine was replaced last year. Looks great now for another 5 years.

The C5 Corvette has a Targa top, and is easy to remove and store. The car has storage area in the rear for the Targa top. This uses your trunk space
so you have less truck space with the top off.

The top is available in different choices:
1. Body color of the car and is solid not see through.
2 Blue acrylic, so you can see through it, (what I have)
there might be a 3rd choice of smoked color, I don't remember

With the top off above 35~40Mph the Corvette has bad wind buffeting, and is very windy in the cabin. Almost useless to remove the top for Expressway / highway driving.
There is an aftermarket device that leaves the trunk slightly open but still latched and this reduces the wind buffeting to low levels. the draw back is your trunk looks un-locked or slightly open.

HIGH_RPM's question
The Corvette would be the faster car , but it is very large and wide

VAMPYRE's answer

Yes the C5 Corvette is faster in a straight line, hands down even vs a Boxster S or superchagred 2.5 / 2.7 Boxster's

The car does not feel large when you are driving it. I used to have Mits 3000GT VR4 and that looks large also, but didn't drive like it was.

The Corvette wheel base is 104.5 inches it is wider then the Boxster 2400mm wheelbase
The car doesn't feel wider then normal when driving, it does however feel wider then the Boxster but only a little wider. It is easy to drive and I have never had an issue with the width of the car. In fact I like a wide car

HIGH_RPM's question
plus the Chevy reliable comes into question

VAMPYRE's answer
The C5 corvette is built is a special plant it is not made with other Chevy's
The car is NOT perfect. There have been some reported problem with 6sp transmissions in the 1997 only.

There have been issues with the seats developing a 1/2 inch of play or movement. This can be fixed but is should not happen in a $40K to $55K sports car. Some have reported that the covertable roof leaks. this can also be fix with roof adjustments.

Some complain of wind nosie at high speeds, this was addressed in 1998 and newer C5's.

I have had no MAJOR problems with mine, most else I have fixed myself due to cheap and available parts. go to edmunds.com or kellys blue book and read the END USER reviews, the C5 has very high marks.

I have also had no major problems with my 1997 Boxster 75K miles on her.

HIGH_RPM's question
The Boxster is more tossable, and has more of a small roadster feel to it.

VAMPYRE's answer
Yes I will agree the Boxster is a more "Tossable" car. The corvette feels heavier but the V8 more then makes up for that, but the Corvette is still tossable and with the Active Handling opition available in 1998 and newer cars is very stable at speed and in twisties.

The Boxster is 100% roadster feel with the top down the C5 does not give you that feeling.

The Mileage of both cars is very similar in the city I get about 19 to 21 Mpg with normal driving on the C5

On long huals I get about 30Mpg in 6th gear on the C5 and about 25 in the Boxster

The Boxster is a very nice car and you would be very happy with it, if that is your choice. you should buy the NEWEST year you can afford.
It has style and world class roadster appeal. It is 100% a roadster 1st.
I have driven mine on 1 to 2 hour long drives and just love the sound of the engine. Top down the car is just a blast to drive. It turns heads everywhere it goes and just about everyone loves the Boxster.

The C5 Corvette is another fine choice and you will be happy with that purchase too. It is a pleasure to drive and I have driven mine on 6 plus hours non stop. It has more cabin comforts and more gadets to play with.
* The Boxster can have an opitional computer added to the car*
My C5 has dual climate control so the passenger side can be warmer or cooler then the driver side. (nice for the wife)

HIGH_RPM's Question
From the owners - what are your reliability experiences for these cars? I haven't heard many horror stories from either car on this board.

My 1997 Boxster with 75K miles has been a great and very reliable car.

My 1998 C5 Corvette with 64K miles has also been a great car.

I would suggest again to go to Edmunds.com and Kelly blue book and read the End user reviews of Both cars you are interested in.

Buy the newest you can afford

Good luck with your future purchase! you will love either one you get.

-Vampyre
The following users liked this post:
jcbeckman (10-08-2020)
Old 12-19-2003, 01:18 PM
HBacura
Racer

Originally posted by Niels Jørgensen
you can call it whatever you want, but there's just something potent about V8s that 6 or 4 cylinder cars can only dream of. Besides ****ty fuel economy, of course
1997 Porsche Boxster

2.5L 201 hp H6
horsepower 201 @ 6000 RPM
torque 181 @ 4500 RPM
City mpg 17-19
Highway 26-27

1997 Corvette

5.7L 345 hp V8
horsepower 345 @ 5600 RPM
torque 350 @ 4400 RPM
City mpg 17-18
highway 25-28

2002 Camaro Z28
5.7L 310 hp V8
horsepower 310 @ 5200 RPM
torque 340 @ 4000 RPM
City mpg 18-19
highway 25-28

All that extra V8 power with better gas mileage

No offense, but when will Porsche get it right

Quick Reply: $20k to spend - '97 Boxster or C5 Vette?