Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M96 3.2l, Nickie rebuild with bore from 93mm to 102mm. Anybody that did it ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 01:58 AM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Default M96 3.2l, Nickie rebuild with bore from 93mm to 102mm. Anybody that did it ?

While getting prepared to install a front “big brake kit” (6 pistons Brembo), I’m thinking about the "next big" mod..
My engine is now approaching 65k miles. I have installed some engine mods, like ISB LN Double Row Pro, low temp thermostat, new water pump, new AOS, “X51” metal oil baffle, ½ quart sump extension, magnetic drain plug, 74mm IPD with throttle box and intake tube, underdrive pulley, etc.., but, instead of an engine conversion, I think that one of these days, a “good rebuild” would be a great “pre-emptive maintenance plan” and should also be a great "mod".

Anybody here that have tried this one ?

Name:  after%20the%20brakes%20next%20kit.jpg
Views: 2344
Size:  146.4 KB

If yes, how does it feel ? Can you write ? Can you post photos ?
Old 07-05-2016, 05:07 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

Done it a few hundred times... Including the very first time.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:40 PM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Hello Jake,
Nice to read from you here.
A question : why in your site you do not mention 3.2 to 3.8 ?
(same stroke, but using 101mm (*) bore.)

(*) corrected from a wrong 102mm to the right value, i.e.: 101mm, thanks Jake.
I'm sorry, I'm also wrong in the title of the topic, but I do not know how to fix that one !

If I read well, I can see your offer as :
. 2.5 to 2.7
. 3.2 to 3.6
. 3.4 to 3.6
. 3.6 to 3.8

Thanks a lot in advance

Last edited by GVA-SFO; 07-07-2016 at 12:18 AM.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:54 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by GVA-SFO
Hello Jake,
Nice to read from you here.
A question : why in your site you do not mention 3.2 to 3.8 ?
(same stroke, but using 102mm bore.)

If I read well, I can see your offer as :
. 2.5 to 2.7
. 3.2 to 3.6
. 3.4 to 3.6
. 3.6 to 3.8

Thanks a lot in advance
3.2 to 3.8 uses a 101mm bore, not 102.

I developed the 3.2 to 3.8, I have many offerings that are not on the site... Listing them just gives the copycats something else to lie about.

I can do a 3.2 to 4.3 these days, but since bigger is not better, my R51 is the best choice for a 3.2 if one wants max power... It makes power to 8,000 RPM
Old 07-07-2016, 12:10 AM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

...Oups, sorry for the typo, yes, for sure : 101mm the Nickies description is clear on that.
(will correct above)

And, yes, this makes :
with bore =10.1, than surface is 80.118 cm2. By 6 cyls => tot surf = 480.7108 cm2
or with a stroke of 7.8 cm, the displacement becomes 3.749 l. (3,749 cm3)

I'm curious: What do you call "R51" ?
Old 07-07-2016, 12:48 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

The R51 is my designation for a series of engines that are 3.5, 3.6, and 3.7 liter that have vastly altered stroke to bore combinations that are not conventional.

These are the 9th generation of engines, and they pack one hell of a punch that no one can duplicate.
Old 07-07-2016, 11:01 PM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

..Very interesting !
Would love to learn more about these R51 engines !
Jake, too bad you are so far away, I would be happy to stop by and chat about such solution.
I wonder if someone in the (San Francisco) bay area would have been one of your "students" and would be able build something like that ?
Old 07-07-2016, 11:11 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

..Very interesting !
Would love to learn more about these R51 engines !
Jake, too bad you are so far away, I would be happy to stop by and chat about such solution.
I wonder if someone in the (San Francisco) bay area would have been one of your "students" and would be able build something like that ?
I'm not far away... 3 days to ship your car from San Fran... We do it all the time.

Buy a cheap plane ticket and set up an appointment with Jud, we'll blow your mind!��

I probably have 50 engines within 100 miles of you.

No one learns how to build an R51... There's only one place to get one, and only one guy to build it... I personally build every R51.
Old 07-08-2016, 01:45 PM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

I think you convinced me. This is "pretty logical" !
(I have already your "double row pro" in my car, ..this was one the very first mod that I did on it, right after buying it !)
Let me "fix" the braking part of it, and then, the car should be nicely ready for more ponies (have since day 1 PSS9 on each corners and the car is set with negative camber (i.e.: adjustable low arms). (I normally use NT01 on track.)
Then, after the big brakes, I will start to think seriously about it !
How come no Rennlisters (with R51) did show up here with some words ??

By the way, I have one question : What do you think about "accusump" ?
One of my worries, even after "x51 type" metal baffle on the sump, and 1/2 oil sump extension, I get the feeling that I can see some (rare) time red flashes on the dashboard in the area of the oil pressure light (!!!!)
And looking at the recording of the lateral Gs, (I'm not a very fast guy on track, ..hey, a grandfa is on the wheel !! ), but still, I have seen values in the 1.3 range, so, this is one of my current worries for my engine !!!
Old 07-08-2016, 10:39 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

I think you convinced me. This is "pretty logical" !
(I have already your "double row pro" in my car, ..this was one the very first mod that I did on it, right after buying it !)
Let me "fix" the braking part of it, and then, the car should be nicely ready for more ponies (have since day 1 PSS9 on each corners and the car is set with negative camber (i.e.: adjustable low arms). (I normally use NT01 on track.)
Then, after the big brakes, I will start to think seriously about it !

By the way, I have one question : What do you think about "accusump" ?
One of my worries, even after "x51 type" metal baffle on the sump, and 1/2 oil sump extension, I get the feeling that I can see some (rare) time red flashes on the dashboard in the area of the oil pressure light (!!!!)
And looking at the recording of the lateral Gs, (I'm not a very fast guy on track, ..hey, a grandfa is on the wheel !! ), but still, I have seen values in the 1.3 range, so, this is one of my current worries for my engine !!!
Save the money on the accusing. Lateral Gs are not the root of the problems. We'll solve those when the time comes and it's not through a bunch of bolt on parts.
Old 07-10-2016, 01:36 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

An "R51" engine is I dare say a rather expensive aftermarket engine option. This is not intended as any comment on the quality of the engine build or the value of the engine just a statement of fact based on my research.

At $24.5K (the price given by JR in the thread a link I have provided below) I dare say few have gone this route.

Here is a link to a thread that follows a Boxster R51 engine build.

http://986forum.com/forums/general-d...ine-build.html
Old 07-10-2016, 02:08 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Macster
An "R51" engine is I dare say a rather expensive aftermarket engine option. This is not intended as any comment on the quality of the engine build or the value of the engine just a statement of fact based on my research.

At $24.5K (the price given by JR in the thread a link I have provided below) I dare say few have gone this route.

The R51 that you linked was the early 5 chain version of this engine combination. I have designed the R51 combination for all years and models through the 9a1. I am now working on the 9a2 version of the R51 for the 2017 cars and beyond, both 718 and 991-2.

My performance engines (Street Performer & Track Performer) all start at 22.5K or greater. Nothing is cheaper here than 20,500, which is my "Stocker" engine.

The majority are in the 24.5K rage, but if someone has a failure that we must address, then the cost can easily reach 27K, and even 30K.

I have 4 more R51s on my build board at the present, which extends for 14 months. We idon'thave any difficulty selling engines, and we don't engage in a single ad campaign, in any publication to stay this back logged. I have not updated my website in over 5 years. We don't need to. More times than not the reason why people don't buy from us isn't cost, its the fact that we have a back log of many months and refuse to offer expedite fees, or speed up the processes just to make a sale..

Why? Because some people love their Porsche, and they know where to go when they want a unique, hand built, Raby designed engine.
Old 07-11-2016, 08:34 AM
Disaster
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster

This is definitely something a person does for themselves, not for resale value but to enjoy and have something unique.

I have modded a few cars and you never get the money back short of stripping it all back out of the car and reselling the components separately. My last project was '92 Mazda Miata with about 40% OEM cost and 60% aftermarket upgrades and it sold for about the same as a clean, unmodded, stock car would have.

Having said that, $24k and a used 986 will get you a 310hp 2009/10 987.2 Boxster S with change to spare. Which would a person rather have?
Old 07-11-2016, 08:52 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

People that buy an engine like this love the car... Thats the very first question I ask them before anything else. If they don't love it, I am wasting both our time explaining the concept of my engine to them.

Those that have to justify the expense don't love the car. If they say "the car is worth", then I know the engine isn't for them. I tell them that as soon as I see it.

An engine that cost more than the car isn't a new concept when it comes to Porsches... I started building engines that cost more than the cars they were installed into with the 356, then 912, 914 and a lot of air cooled 911s, especially in the late 90s and early 2000s. Now look at those cars....

That said, I'm building a 996TT engine now that's costing more than that car is "worth", too... But the owner loves it.

Old 07-11-2016, 09:03 AM
Disaster
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
People that buy an engine like this love the car... Thats the very first question I ask them before anything else. If they don't love it, I am wasting both our time explaining the concept of my engine to them.

Those that have to justify the expense don't love the car. If they say "the car is worth", then I know the engine isn't for them. I tell them that as soon as I see it.

An engine that cost more than the car isn't a new concept when it comes to Porsches... I started building engines that cost more than the cars they were installed into with the 356, then 912, 914 and a lot of air cooled 911s, especially in the late 90s and early 2000s. Now look at those cars....
Don't get me wrong. I think it's great. I've gone down the path myself. I agree a person has to ask the hard questions before doing it. You do this for yourself, not for resale or bragging rights.

Quick Reply: M96 3.2l, Nickie rebuild with bore from 93mm to 102mm. Anybody that did it ?