Sponsored by:

Boxster engine woes

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 01:16 PM
justin-in-athens
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Boxster engine woes

I just recently bought a 1999 base 986 with 97k miles. The seller stated it had an ignition problem, which was true, but he carefully omitted the fact it had a blown head gasket as well.

I see no evidence of coolant in the oil, but when I pour coolant into the reservoir it flows right out of the exhaust manifold.

The way I see it, the best thing I can do at this point is part the car out. Anyone interested in a complete motor that needs gaskets?

Justin
Old 05-23-2014, 01:33 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

The engine might just need a head gasket. 'course, the leak could be due to a cracked head or even a cracked block.

Up to you but you might want to put some more time -- and involve an experienced Porsche mechanic -- into better diagnosing the engine's true condition. It might be salvageable for not an unreasonable sum of money.
Old 05-23-2014, 02:56 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by justin-in-athens
I just recently bought a 1999 base 986 with 97k miles. The seller stated it had an ignition problem, which was true, but he carefully omitted the fact it had a blown head gasket as well.

I see no evidence of coolant in the oil, but when I pour coolant into the reservoir it flows right out of the exhaust manifold.

The way I see it, the best thing I can do at this point is part the car out. Anyone interested in a complete motor that needs gaskets?

Justin
Sorry to hear about your experience Justin. This is the very reason you should spend at least $200 on a PPI (pre purchase Inspection) by a mechanic with experience working on vehicles like the one you plan to buy.
Boxster engines do not blow head gaskets so I'm guessing you have a cracked cylinder & therefore a $3,000 car. If I were you I would try & force the seller to refund the purchase price. If that will not work post your car on 986.com forum for more exposure.
Old 05-23-2014, 03:48 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

It doesn't need a head gasket.. A crack has formed within the head and through one of the exhaust valve spring seats/ exhaust ports. OR you have a cracked cylinder/ D chunk failure.

I have NEVER, not once EVEr seen an M97 blow a head gasket. The MLS head gaskets are stronger than the cylinders or cylinder heads.
Old 05-23-2014, 05:42 PM
justin-in-athens
Pro

I don't think its a D chunk failure, because every so often, when the ignition switch cooperates, I can get the motor to turn over. I drained the oil and did not find any evidence of milkshake. Thanks for the info fellas.
Old 05-23-2014, 05:44 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Cracked head through the exhaust spring seat will not intermix, just dump coolant into the exhaust.
Old 05-23-2014, 07:24 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
Cracked head through the exhaust spring seat will not intermix, just dump coolant into the exhaust.
If you're right, and I think you are, then it reads like all (all...) the engine needs is a new head.

Needing a new head doesn't read like the end of the world.

OP: maybe you should look into what a head replacement job would cost?
Old 05-23-2014, 07:45 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

break it up for parts....or if ya wanna save it dump a lot of money in it...i would not
Old 05-23-2014, 09:00 PM
Justin Hunt
3rd Gear

I think I will just part it out. Its not been loved for some time, not the best respray in not in the original color. I mean ive located a used motor for 3k in a parts yard. But when its all said and done I still only have a 7k dollar car... I just hate to do it because its JUST nice enough you know.
Old 05-24-2014, 12:42 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by Justin Hunt
I think I will just part it out. Its not been loved for some time, not the best respray in not in the original color. I mean ive located a used motor for 3k in a parts yard. But when its all said and done I still only have a 7k dollar car... I just hate to do it because its JUST nice enough you know.
It is your call, of course.

If the car is in otherwise pretty good shape, it can make sense to fix the car.

But if the car is just not that good overall…

I'm not a fan of parting out cars. It can be a drawn out process, and to be a plain old pain in the butt task.

My inclination would be if I'm not going to fix the car and get it back on the road to just sell it, in this case with the engine sick probably to a business that buys cars in this condition to support its used/salvaged parts business.

One gets rid of the car in one fairly simple transaction and can move on. I mean I'd hate to every time I walked into the garage see the remnants of the car there reminding me of things I'd rather not be reminded of.
Old 05-24-2014, 11:53 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Since you are 50 miles away we should talk… No use in parting out a solid car, I buy them broken and resurrect them to live again.
Old 05-25-2014, 01:05 AM
justin-in-athens
Pro

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
Since you are 50 miles away we should talk… No use in parting out a solid car, I buy them broken and resurrect them to live again.
PM sent

Quick Reply: Boxster engine woes