2002 boxster convertible top stuck halfway

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 09:20 PM
1HPYGIRL
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 boxster convertible top stuck halfway

Hey there,

I am new to this forum. Purchased a 2002 Boxster two weeks ago with 65,000 Km's. safety was done and apparently only new brake pads were needed.

After purchasing I noticed a grinding sound in shifting to 3rd. Long story short. 4k later to replace the transmissions and clutch.

Got it back Friday and drive all weekend. Got to destination with darling daughter today and convertible top got stuck halfway. So it wouldn't close or open. Had to drive home very slowly holding the top.

Needless to say I am no longer a HPYGIRL. I've searched and cannot find a manual override to close or open. Taking back again to the repair mechanic but terrified of the cost.

Anyone have any issues with this and if the bill is going to require me to take a 2nd mortgage can I get them to switch it to a manual operation?

Coco
Old 08-18-2013, 09:46 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

There is an emergency closing procedure that involves a bit of work. I have the steps but they are involved and I've never done this and am reluctant to post what may be incomplete or incorrect info.

My advice is to get the car flat bedded to a proper shop and someone there can do the emergency closing procedure. This is not a manual opening/closing procedure. It is only intended to allow you to get the top closed in an emergency.

The top's drive system is probably shot. Probably. I'm no top expert. The drive -- if I'm right of course -- is not super expensive but it is not cheap.

Where you take the car to have the top emergency closed can provide you with an accurate diagnosis rather than my WAG. It may be something less serious and thus less costly to fix, too.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:58 PM
1HPYGIRL
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1HPYGIRL
Hey there,

I am new to this forum. Purchased a 2002 Boxster two weeks ago with 65,000 Km's. safety was done and apparently only new brake pads were needed.

After purchasing I noticed a grinding sound in shifting to 3rd. Long story short. 4k later to replace the transmissions and clutch.

Got it back Friday and drive all weekend. Got to destination with darling daughter today and convertible top got stuck halfway. So it wouldn't close or open. Had to drive home very slowly holding the top.

Needless to say I am no longer a HPYGIRL. I've searched and cannot find a manual override to close or open. Taking back again to the repair mechanic but terrified of the cost.

Anyone have any issues with this and if the bill is going to require me to take a 2nd mortgage can I get them to switch it to a manual operation?

Coco

Thanks. Hopefully it isn't too expensive.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:46 PM
Mark Hubley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought my '99 Boxster in '04. Within the first couple years of ownership there were three or four times when the top got stuck as I opened or closed it. There was a little clip that would come off the frame, and I would just put the clip back in place. The last time I put the clip back in place, perhaps I got it just right, as I haven't had that problem occur in many years now.

I hope your problem has a similarly simple fix.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:29 AM
gfl
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Also check that the micro-switch on the hand-brake is OK

Its not clear why it would interrupt half-way, so its a long shot, but also a relatively cheap shot.

You can test whether the "brake" light is on.... on the dash.

Grant
Old 08-23-2013, 11:08 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

According to my bently manual, on the drivers side, pull off the wind deflector and pop off the black clip for the body panel and move it out of the way (panel). Then there should be a red clip for the top. Disconnect that and move the top shut, latch, and lower the body panel. Says to drive moderately (45 mph tops) until its fixed and hooked up correctly

Quick Reply: 2002 boxster convertible top stuck halfway