Sponsored by:

Opinions on purchase?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 08:23 PM
joseph mitro
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 159 Posts
Default Opinions on purchase?

I'm no stranger to Porsches (have owned multiple 944s and a 911 SC) or German cars in general (currently drive an E46 M3) but would like an opinion on this Boxster as I've not owned one before.
This would be a second pleasure vehicle, and I don't want to spend a buttload of money as I can pay cash for this vehicle.
Seems to be in excellent condition, and is the exact color/ interior combination and gearbox I want.
Price is about $4k lower than Kelly Blue Book value. Is this way off or does the vehicle's price reflect current market price?
Opinions appreciated. Thanks!!

http://www.uagdallas.com/web/1006/ve...PORT%20PACKAGE
Old 01-03-2013, 08:41 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 257 Posts

I've just started researching Boxsters for a possible base for a track car so not sure how much help this will be. I see a big difference between KBB and Edmunds. Haven't done enough research yet to judge which is more reasonable. Edmunds would estimate less than 10k. The Excellence guide has a range of 7 to 11k so this would be to the upper end of that. The car certainly looks nice in the pics. good luck
Old 01-03-2013, 09:11 PM
Bobw56
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just finished a 4 month search for a Boxster. I bought a fully loaded ($74,000 sticker) 2001 Boxster S for $17,500 with 36,488 miles on it. I was specifically lookinbg for an S model ( 2000-03) and saw them priced between $12k and 24K. pricing seemed very dependant on mileage. So for me, service records were critical. While the price of these cars is pretty low, maintenance and major services can be significant especially when compared to the purchase price. With 65,000 miles on your perspective car, I would be specifically concerned with the clutch or any oil leaks.

As a previous porsche owner, you are well aware that a new clutch might cost $3,500 which would be significant on a $12,000 car. The one you are looking at looks nice, but you will be able to find a lot of them for less than that. My advice is to go with the one with the best service records. If the dealer does not have any, be careful and have it thoroughly inspected (by someone else).

Then again, if you are handy with a wrench, my advise may not be that important
Attached Images  
Old 01-03-2013, 09:46 PM
DOUGLAP1
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Like you, I went from an E46 M3 as a spare car to a 986S, and still have and like them both a lot. i don't think I would be too happy with the non S after being used to the M3's acceleration though. I suggest you test drive an S and non S before making up your mind.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:15 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobw56
I just finished a 4 month search for a Boxster. I bought a fully loaded ($74,000 sticker) 2001 Boxster S for $17,500 with 36,488 miles on it. I was specifically lookinbg for an S model ( 2000-03) and saw them priced between $12k and 24K. pricing seemed very dependant on mileage. So for me, service records were critical. While the price of these cars is pretty low, maintenance and major services can be significant especially when compared to the purchase price. With 65,000 miles on your perspective car, I would be specifically concerned with the clutch or any oil leaks.

As a previous porsche owner, you are well aware that a new clutch might cost $3,500 which would be significant on a $12,000 car. The one you are looking at looks nice, but you will be able to find a lot of them for less than that. My advice is to go with the one with the best service records. If the dealer does not have any, be careful and have it thoroughly inspected (by someone else).

Then again, if you are handy with a wrench, my advise may not be that important
Nice! Looks like mine but I don't have the humps behind the roll bars! Beautiful! I might have to find those....
Old 01-03-2013, 11:27 PM
Bobw56
Intermediate

The "Speed Humps" that came with this car were factory and I do like the look of them. I saw aftermarkets on Ebay for about $500 but between shipping and painting, you will probably have a $1,000 in them. The car also came with a hardtop, that I will probably never use. More of a hassle to store it.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:50 PM
joseph mitro
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 159 Posts

thanks a lot for the information. I'm going to check Edmunds as well as Excellence as sources of information.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:48 AM
FrostyNothing
Advanced

I love the car!! Its identical to my car when I first purchased it. Well, aside form the fact that mine is Guards Red with a black interior all of the options seem to be the same. Also, the mileage is good for a used Boxster. I'm sure you can get them down a grand on price as well seems fair.
Micah

Quick Reply: Opinions on purchase?