Sponsored by:

HELP!! gears engaged, but not moving

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 02:35 PM
djaemac
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HELP!! gears engaged, but not moving

So, I was driving about 10 mph and i hear a clunk noise and the vehicle stops accelerating. I come to a complete stop and try all my gears, but no use. The car won't move. It feels like its always in neutral now. The clutch was fine before this happened. No slipping. Has anyone experienced this before? I hope my transmission isn't shot.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:28 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by djaemac
So, I was driving about 10 mph and i hear a clunk noise and the vehicle stops accelerating. I come to a complete stop and try all my gears, but no use. The car won't move. It feels like its always in neutral now. The clutch was fine before this happened. No slipping. Has anyone experienced this before? I hope my transmission isn't shot.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
More rowing on the shifter ain't going to make things better.

My WAG is a half shaft came loose -- at the transmission flange or you'd hear some horrible banging from a half shaft whipping around -- and when you try to move the car forward the output shaft/flange from the transmission just spins.

You probably should avoid doing this anymore to avoid possibly damaging the diff.

Get the car on a flat bed and to a qualified shop for a pro's diagnosis. Be sure when you call in you make it clear the car is not moveable under its own power.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:50 PM
amondc
Burning Brakes

Agree sounds like a cv joint let go. Could be the diff but unless you've been beating on it pretty hard not likely.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:51 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, I'd say CV based on my prior experiences. It may have even just come unbolted...
Old 10-18-2012, 02:13 PM
San Rensho
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Also check the shift cables, but the clunk sure does point to a driveshaft.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:26 PM
djaemac
Intermediate

Shift cables are ok. I don't beat this car because it's my daily. I'll check the CV joints. I haven't touched it since that night. I heard no clinking noise when they were putting it on the flatbed..
Old 10-18-2012, 09:57 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by djaemac
Shift cables are ok. I don't beat this car because it's my daily. I'll check the CV joints. I haven't touched it since that night. I heard no clinking noise when they were putting it on the flatbed..
One doesn't have to beat on teh shfiter for teh shifter cable or linkage to fail.

One AM just a block or so from the house made an easy shift from 1st to 2nd and the linkage broke. Shoved in the clutch -- habit -- and coasted off the main road to a side road and parked the car.

I can assure you I never beat on the shifter and while I bought the car used I'm sure the 1st owner didn't either. Besides by this time I had put way more miles on the car than the 1st owner had.

It might be the shifter linkage. If the half shaft came loose from the tranny flange you wouldn't hear anything when the engine was running and (assuming the linkage/tranny worked) in gear but in moving the car about getting it on the tow truck the wheel turning would cause the half shaft to rotate and I would think you should hear this though if you moved the car slowly maybe not. And without the engine to help about all you can do is move the car slowly.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:18 PM
Brockmeister
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could be that the clutch just gave up the ghost. This happened in my 944.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:21 PM
GBoxguys
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I doubt that this is going to be clutch issue, as the friction disc on the Boxster is not like that of the 944. I would lean toward a CV Joint going out.

I hope that you get this fixed soon, and I am curious to find out what the issue actually was.

Erik
Old 11-02-2012, 02:34 PM
aj986s
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Xx on a broken half shaft joint. If one side lets go, the diff will transfer power to the unconnected side. IIRC, most diffs will also cause the disconnected side to spin twice as fast, too. As mentioned, look for the disconnect on the tranny side, otherwise the flailing half-shaft would be most obvious.

If half-shaft service was done recently, if the bolts weren't properly torqued, not uncommon for them to come loose. If only one remains attached, easy to snap under load. If bolts start backing out, usually some evidence of noise in the process.
Old 11-02-2012, 04:41 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

I've seen some pressure plates break on these cars, though if it did, there would likely be one hell of a clatter, even at idle.

Quick Reply: HELP!! gears engaged, but not moving