Sponsored by:

AutoCraft battery?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 08:35 PM
dantm
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default AutoCraft battery?

I've had really bad luck with Porsche-branded Moll (?) batteries which crap out after a few years so I am looking for a cheap and immediate alternative to the last one that died on me...

Has anybody used local auto store-type batteries which claim 'direct fit' such as the AutoCraft Type 91 battery? Any feedback?

Thank you
Old 08-12-2012, 09:18 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Boxsters use a standard battery, so if it's claimed to be a direct fit, it probably is. If there's any doubt, replace it in the parking lot and make sure.

If you have an 02 or older, be sure to get the radio code first, though!
Old 08-12-2012, 11:09 PM
Jaak Lepson
Rest In Peace Jaak
Cable Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is what I found out and my results since changing out the battery. I posted this on another forum: 986forum.

I still have not had the codes come back.

I have had a problem with my Battery for about a year now and decided to finally replace it. It would not hold a full charge over time and I had to keep charging it monthly. It was constantly at 35% after a month - 11.7 VDC. Since I did not drive it daily I thought it was due to the part time use. Now that I have retired, I use it almost daily. The battery dropped back down to 35% after 2 weeks and I did not check it before that to see how it was dropping. My 2010 F150 has been sitting for a week and it's battery was at 85%. I also checked the charging voltages and they are within spec. Battery would not hold a proper charge.

Off I went to find out what battery I needed. The one in the car was a Napa 48-6 which a PO had installed some time in the past and it seemed "shorter" than what had been in there in the past as the bolt hole had signs it was used. It seems that the Group 48-6 is the wrong battery for the 2002 S with TIP. Research I had done indicated that a Group 94R is the CORRECT battery for my TIP. What I finally decided on was the WalMart brand EverStart® Battery MAXX-94R which had received excellent reviews from multiple sources including Consumer Reports. There are others out there, I chose the Maxx as the price was right, has a 36 month replacement warranty as well as a 108 month adjustment warranty as well. Special thanks to Mike Focks Web page for setting me in the right direction!

The Battery has 790 CCA (cold) and 960 (warm), fits correctly into the battery tray and the hold down bolt fits in the correct hole (according to previous battery before the Napa). It seems the pre 2005 Boxster need the "optional" listed battery which is the Group 94R VS the Group 48R which the basic battery in most lookup books. If you have a TIP, you need the 94R and as Mike has stated any amp installed as well. Those with a group 48R may want to upgrade to the 94R if they have any issues. Mike also recomended those in colder climates should move up to the 94R. The battery does come with covers over the terminal and the POS. terminal cover has the plastic plug "punched" to seal up the unused vent port. You reuse the existing vent plug. After I replaced the battery the car does seem to run a noticably stronger with faster starts etc.

A curious thing is my CEL would come on indicating Secondary Air Injection issues. I had gotten the system fixed at my friend P-Car Indy shop. No Vacuum leaks and all devices are working well. It may be the the reference voltage is low due to the bad battery causing both the left and right banks to indicate a failure. The CEL would disapear after a while (after the battery was charged from 35% to 100%. I will keep an eye on this.

Hope this helps others out as well. It seems the Group 94R is the correct battery for the 986 series of cars. Post 2005 cars all have 94R as the standard battery from what I have seen online and several lookup books. Pre 2005 should also use the same Group 94R battery.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:26 PM
dantm
Intermediate

Thank you -- that is very comprehensive info...I will look for a 94R-type battery...
Old 08-13-2012, 12:51 AM
Jaak Lepson
Rest In Peace Jaak
Cable Guy
Rennlist Member

Walmart or Costco ... They are made by Johnson Controls according to their labels. Both under $100 US$.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:01 PM
San Rensho
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Bosch also makes a good battery, available at Pep Boys for around $100.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:35 PM
NJcroc
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interstate battery fits peerfect and is a sure winner
Old 08-13-2012, 03:01 PM
dantm
Intermediate

Guys just a quick update -- I did end up getting the Bosch battery as a replacement. The Bosh batteries have a few options available:

Group 94R -- this is supposedly a direct replacement for the 987, has 730 CCA, is 12.45 x 6.93 x 7.52 in, and weighs 49.1 lbs

Group 48 -- this is an optional? for the 986, has 690 CCA, and is 10.99 x 6.74 x 7.45 in, and weighs 38.9 lbs

I think there's another one listed....

For now I figured go with the Group 48 which is *lighter* and smaller and has just a little under 700 CCA. This should work, any thoughts?
Old 08-13-2012, 05:03 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

It always helps when you post what car you have as it matters if you have a 986, 986 Tiptronic, or 987.

There are at lest 15 different batteries people have verified fit. But some of it depends on where you live, how often you drive, do you hibernate for the winter, do you use a "maintainer" etc how good a battery you should get.

Drive in winter, take short trips, hibernate, live where AC is on all the time...go big and good.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:20 PM
dantm
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mikefocke
It always helps when you post what car you have as it matters if you have a 986, 986 Tiptronic, or 987.

There are at lest 15 different batteries people have verified fit. But some of it depends on where you live, how often you drive, do you hibernate for the winter, do you use a "maintainer" etc how good a battery you should get.

Drive in winter, take short trips, hibernate, live where AC is on all the time...go big and good.
Yes, absolutely -- it's a 2006 Boxster S (987) and the car gets driven very little -- it has 22K miles on it. Gets stored during the winter, as in our location (Boston) it's usually not convenient to have out between December - March/April. This year we've taken our time in bringing it out and even though it was on a trickle charger the battery seemed to have died...
Old 08-13-2012, 11:46 PM
Jaak Lepson
Rest In Peace Jaak
Cable Guy
Rennlist Member

94R ... you meet the criteria ....

Quick Reply: AutoCraft battery?