Sponsored by:

New Member - 2001 Boxster S

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 12:43 PM
TCN
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member - 2001 Boxster S

First Porsche; Seal Gray with Red interior.

First, I'd like to thank all of you, as searching posts here both before and after purchase yielded a lot of good information. So I went from "lurker" to "newbie".

It's been a rough experience at times; for example, the oil pressure warning light had been covered up by a black piece of paper behind the instrument cluster. Also, the 60K service had been done incorrectly by the Porsche dealer that did it (I had the records), resulting in me having to have the sparkplug tube seals redone to stop two oil leaks, but I suppose it is what it is.

I also went ahead and did the IMS service. (Done by David Laing at Ruf, here in the Detroit area).

Not sure what I can add to such a knowledgeable group, but I am a lawyer and insurance guy, so perhaps I can chime in there when needed.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:42 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by TCN

First, I'd like to thank all of you, as searching posts here both before and after purchase yielded a lot of good information. So I went from "lurker" to "newbie".

It's been a rough experience at times; for example, the oil pressure warning light had been covered up by a black piece of paper behind the instrument cluster. Also, the 60K service had been done incorrectly by the Porsche dealer that did it (I had the records), resulting in me having to have the sparkplug tube seals redone to stop two oil leaks, but I suppose it is what it is.

I also went ahead and did the IMS service. (Done by David Laing at Ruf, here in the Detroit area).

Not sure what I can add to such a knowledgeable group, but I am a lawyer and insurance guy, so perhaps I can chime in there when needed.
Welcome! & on behalf of all forum "veterans" everywhere we want to thank you for searching 1st then posting followup questions. I would like to hear more about how the PPI issues were resolved,also if you care to elaborate on the insurance guy/ lawyer angle.Ruf in Detroit, never saw that coming. Being a speed yellow kinda guy myself, Seal Gray has never done much for me, but I'm thinking red interior might completely change my mind & eyes! If only you had posted pictures to prove your new toy aquisition I would have to say 100% on your breakout post!

Last edited by Byprodriver; 07-18-2012 at 02:43 PM. Reason: sp.
Old 07-18-2012, 03:21 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by TCN

Will use this opportunity to reinforce how important it is when one first looks at a used car to when the key is turned on to make sure all (and I mean all!) warning lights come on and go off when the key is turned to the start position and the engine starts/runs.

This will allow one to catch a burned out warning light light or LED bulb but also in your car's case someone taping over the low oil pressure warning light.

Anyhow, that out of the way, welcome and enjoy what I'm sure will be a very fine car. My 02 has 257.1K miles and runs as good today as it did new over 10 years ago.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-18-2012, 03:39 PM
TCN
5th Gear

Thanks! I'm attaching two photos, it's all I have right now, and one is actually of the car from my office window.

The black paper over the light was horrible, as were brand new pads over badly worn rotors, and I fault the Seller for those. The spark plug tube O-ring issue was sort of interesting. 60K service was done, showing that all 6 O-rings had been replaced. I assumed that the sparkplugs had been changed at that time as well - they hadn't.

At any rate, when the O-rings were replaced, the tech had LIBERALLY coated UNDER and OVER where the O-rings fit into the plastic groove, with some sort of a silicone sealant - like the type of stuff you would use instead of an o-ring. The sealant had not only degraded the rubber, but it also must have prevented a decent seal as well. Two of the six were leaking badly.
Attached Images   
Old 07-18-2012, 05:40 PM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Beautiful car....and best wishes for a happy Porsche ownership experience.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:16 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Very nice! Welcome to rennlist!

I had a seal gray S as well, great car!
Old 07-18-2012, 08:25 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

That is a nice color combo! Your experience with the recent service, (dis-service?) is a good reminder to find a good mechanic with not just Porsche experience, but Boxster experience.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:35 PM
TCN
5th Gear

My mechanic had me when he said "I will love your car AT LEAST as much as you do".
Old 07-19-2012, 07:24 PM
allen_skillicorn
Instructor

Small world, I just bought a Meridan.

Love your color and those turbo twists!
Old 07-23-2012, 02:03 AM
alpha8a
Intermediate

This car was for sale at GR Gallery right? I was looking at it before. I'd like more details on this Ruf Detroit as I'm also in the Detroit area.

Quick Reply: New Member - 2001 Boxster S