Mechanic Recommendation Needed for NYC

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 09:44 PM
David in Chicago
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mechanic Recommendation Needed for NYC

Tried search, but didn't get a good result.

A good friend has had it with the Manhattan dealer scene. No surprise there, based on the posts all over RL.

Can anyone suggest a good independent for Boxsters - ideally in Manhattan but, if none, then nearby and easy to get to/from.

Thanks for your assistance and Regards to All.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:22 PM
KNK123
Rennlist Member

Location: Land of Fruits and Nuts, but the weather is perfect.

Here are some options. None are in Manhattan, but they're close enough to get to:

Bill Rudtner at Rudtner's Racing
Rick Deman at Deman Motorsports
Cheech at Rennwerke Porsche
Old 04-02-2012, 04:09 PM
Cary_West
Advanced

if you're ever looking to collaboratively DIY, I have a garage space in Brooklyn with a lift and air tools that I use to do maintenance and repairs on both my cars (Subie Outback and Boxster). Shops charge out the nose in NYC and I have a lot of fun wrenching on the Porsche, knowing that the job was done right.

I'd be happy to book the lift to do a car guy day if you want to do minor repairs or routine maintenance -- more fun and easier with 4 hands.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:37 PM
porchfly80
Banned

Nice avatar Dave in Chicago. We own the DYson 962 if you ever want to stop by and see one in person
Old 12-17-2012, 08:20 PM
gfl
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A few in NNJ - about 45-60 minutes away

1. Autohaus in Peapack NJ
2. Precision Motorsports in Califon

Both excellent. Need a ride to/from. Peapack might be train-able.

Call Gene, the proprietor and ask.

Grant

Originally Posted by David in Chicago
Tried search, but didn't get a good result.

A good friend has had it with the Manhattan dealer scene. No surprise there, based on the posts all over RL.

Can anyone suggest a good independent for Boxsters - ideally in Manhattan but, if none, then nearby and easy to get to/from.

Thanks for your assistance and Regards to All.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:54 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

R.O.C.S. in Belleville NJ is closest to Newark Penn Station. So you could take the PATH train to Newark and then call Belleville Taxi to pick you up. It's cheaper than taking the cabs on standby at Penn Station. It's about a 10 minute cab ride to the shop on Washington Ave. They have a very reasonable hourly labor rate.
Belleville is Joe Pesci's hometown -- kind of old school gritty Italian sorta like Kearny. For dropping off the car there's also a NYC Coach Bush that stops once an hour directly accross the street for like $6. Or you could cab it back to the PATH station. I'd say an hour travel time from the WTC Path to the shop. Driving the car back to the Lincoln Tunnel probably takes 15 minutes from Route 3. So as long its not rush hour then its well over an hour.

R.O.C.S. is a small shop so you definitely want an appointment. They fix antique Rolls, Bentley and lots of older Porsches in addition to all the new stuff. They also have one of those "no-touch" tire mounting machines.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:23 PM
ROCS Auto Inc
Former Vendor

Hi Perfectlap, thank you for the recommendatio, I normally don't reply to this type of thread but I wanted to add that the Harrison path station is actually closer than Newark Penn and that we can always pick up anyone coming in from NYC at this station. OP, luckily for your friend there a few of us in the area to choose from
Regards
Rich

Last edited by ROCS Auto Inc; 12-20-2012 at 07:05 PM.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:39 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

R.O.C.S. picks you up! Ray Catena Porsche/Aston/Maybach never did that for me...
Old 01-09-2013, 04:33 PM
Drsms22
Intermediate

Can anyone recommend an excellent independent mechanic to do a pre-purchase inspection in the Chicago Area?
Old 01-10-2013, 01:00 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Originally Posted by Drsms22
Can anyone recommend an excellent independent mechanic to do a pre-purchase inspection in the Chicago Area?
you might try this shop. They do a lot of track cars.

Midwest Eurosport
630-595-5577
www.midwesteurosport.com
Old 01-10-2013, 01:38 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by perfectlap
R.O.C.S. in Belleville NJ is closest to Newark Penn Station. So you could take the PATH train to Newark and then call Belleville Taxi to pick you up. It's cheaper than taking the cabs on standby at Penn Station. It's about a 10 minute cab ride to the shop on Washington Ave. They have a very reasonable hourly labor rate.
Belleville is Joe Pesci's hometown -- kind of old school gritty Italian sorta like Kearny. For dropping off the car there's also a NYC Coach Bush that stops once an hour directly accross the street for like $6. Or you could cab it back to the PATH station. I'd say an hour travel time from the WTC Path to the shop. Driving the car back to the Lincoln Tunnel probably takes 15 minutes from Route 3. So as long its not rush hour then its well over an hour.

R.O.C.S. is a small shop so you definitely want an appointment. They fix antique Rolls, Bentley and lots of older Porsches in addition to all the new stuff. They also have one of those "no-touch" tire mounting machines.

+ 1 for R.O.C.S, highly recommend!
Old 02-10-2013, 02:09 PM
82_930
Pro

See M-Tech in New Rochelle, Mike is the owner

I'd avoid Cheech in Elmsford...

Quick Reply: Mechanic Recommendation Needed for NYC