Sponsored by:

CV Boot Clamps Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 12:56 PM
Phi1720
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CV Boot Clamps Question

While changing brake pads and disks this weekend, I found one of my hub-end CV boots leaking at the outside clamp and slinging grease under the car. I've got the correct CV clamp pliers and grease but have never removed or installed this style clamp before.

Is this clamp re-useable, they appear to be one-time use due to crimp. ie: remove clamp, add grease to CV joint, re-install clamp? I've inspected all 4 boots and they're all still in one piece. The picture below shows that the grease appears to be coming from the clamp connection point. Could the rubber have gotten pinched and split?

Also, what's the best method to remove the clamp without damaging the rubber boot?

I plan to order a new clamp today, but would like to fix now if at all possible since the car is still up in the air with brake disk off.

Thanks!
Old 03-11-2012, 09:43 PM
lilredpo
Pro

I went with all new clamps when I did mine. Short money. Good news the boots are in good shape.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:51 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Insert small phillips screwdriver in the pinched part of the clamp & pry back & forth to open up the clamp so you can undo the fastened part. As dry & cracked as the boot is on the other end it will need replacement soon.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:31 PM
San Rensho
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Or you can just use a radiator hose clamp. Cut off the old clamp with a pair of side cutter pliers, put on the hose clamp and tighten it just enough so the boot doesn't rotate when turned by hand.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:09 PM
Phi1720
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the feedback guys!

I've figured new boots are in my future but will replace the band and pack some new grease to keep from contaminating the joint in the interim.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:42 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Phi1720
Thanks for the feedback guys!

I've figured new boots are in my future but will replace the band and pack some new grease to keep from contaminating the joint in the interim.
If the boot has a crack/split in it the risk is some dirt/grit has gotten into the bearing grease though/past this crack/split. Shoving more grease in will just force the dirty grease into the bearing. With probably bad results.

If the boot is compromised then the bearing should be disassembled, cleaned, inspected for any signs the bearing can't be returned to service, and if the inspection finds the bearing ok to reuse, then a proper repack followed by reassembly and installation is what should be done.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:14 AM
Phi1720
Rennlist Member

Good call Macster. I had a mental lapse thinking that adding more grease on top of dirty grease would help.

So I picked up a new clamp for $3 tonight and removed the leaky one to check for a split. Turns out the boot was cut under the crimp (see photo) from the last shop to replace the boots under my car's previous owner.

Oh well. Installed the new clamp to keep me on the road for a few days and ordering 2 new boot kits w/ clamps. Isn't it funny how one DIY only seems to lead you to finding your next project? Time to start reading up on axle removal!

Thanks again guys.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:00 AM
Stephen Tinker
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Isn't it funny how one DIY only seems to lead you to finding your next project? Time to start reading up on axle removal!

No - yours is a classic example of good preventative maintenance...
If you had ignored the visual symptom of grease leaking from the rubber boot, you would be up for replacing the whole bearing & boot assembly in a couple of thousand miles !!
Good spotting....
Old 03-13-2012, 04:02 PM
meirschwartz
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 97 Posts

if i may, i recommend you replace all 4 boots.
by looking at your pictures, all 4 look very dry.
it is not a fun project to do, but believe me, you do not want to have one of the boots busted and spraying dirty grease all over the place.
ask me how i know.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:16 PM
jdcorbitt3
Rennlist Member

I just did my boots yesterday. I had the axels out for my engine swap. The boots were fine, but since they were out of the car, I figured I would just do them. The first one took me three hours. The second on took one hour. Make sure the ring where the boot slips on the joint is dry and free of grease as well as the boot itself. Otherwise, when you clamp it down, as another mechanic pointed out to me, it will "Slide off like a turd."

John
Old 03-16-2012, 12:04 AM
Phi1720
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the tips. Waiting on parts now and will end up doing both axles for good measure.

Quick Reply: CV Boot Clamps Question