Sponsored by:

How much more is an S worth?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 05:39 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by Turb-OH Brad
Compared to a 986 interior?? I'll take the Chevy!
Unless Chevy has made substantial improvements to its interiors no way.

My 01 Camaro Z28 had a lousy interior with a damn hump on the passenger side of the cabin.

It took just seconds from sitting in an 02 Boxster that had me sold. The test drive was the icing on the cake. I bought the 02 Boxster and within weeks sold the 01 Camaro.

Even my 06 GTO's much improved interior compared to the 01 Camaro can't even compare to the Boxster's interior. Coupled with the lousy GM servicing... I traded the GTO in when I bought my 08 Cayman S.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:12 AM
fivepointnine
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cant believe that someone actually said the vette interior was better than the 986, fit, finish, materials, displays, layout are all vastly superior to the C5 (which is the same price range as the 986, C6's are still much more) Vette's interior oozes with cheesiness, cheap materials, crappy leather and bad fit and finish, cheap feeling switch gear.......I could go on...and yes I have drove a few vette's
Old 12-22-2011, 11:53 PM
streaydog
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drove a 2011 Boxster Base while car was getting serviced and besides the nice upgraded dampners to smooth the ride, my 05 Boxster S was still faster. Yeah not by much but noticeable.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:24 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why an S?

okay here are some real world thoughts.

1. You'll merge with highway traffic with ease.
2. You'll overtake minvans packing 300 HP with ease.
3. At about this curb weight a roadster comes alive at around ~240 hp off braking and out of turns.

I noticed this same thing about the 240-260 HP "turning point" if you will when I first drove the Honda S2000.
That being said the really old Boxsters (2.5's) were lighter so they don't need the 3.2 as much. But the 2.7's got heavier with less of a bump in power.

I upgraded a few things. GT3 seats (lighter, better seating position), 18" Carrera light weight wheels (shaved 10 pounds off standard 18's), upgraded exhaust (full Fabspeed -- headers to tips). I'm going to say I'm probably near 270 HP, okay maybe that's optimistic. Either way, that's PLENTLY for this chasis. Plenty loud too. You don't want to know what all that cost or what it would have cost if I didn't shop carefully -- probably $11K, enough to buy a nice Miata autocross with all the fixings. But if I sold the car as is you couldn't bring me a better car without spending more or going into a different sports car category. Bottom line is don't mess with the engine. They are delicate and Porsche doesn't stand by them. Keep the drive train as factory fresh as possible, change the oil twice a year, upgrade the IMS as soon as you take the keys. At the end of the day this is the roadster that sets the bar. If you want to scratch the mod bug buy an STI, Miata or S2000. Excellent alternatives, particularly the Mazda.

oh and during summer, I avearage at least 2 "nice car" comments a day. Sometimes I'll answer with "you should see the tune up bill".
Maintenance on winter-driven Porsche is a doozey. Get the most engine from the get go.

Quick Reply: How much more is an S worth?