Sponsored by:

How much more is an S worth?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 09:47 AM
Turb-OH Brad
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much more is an S worth?

I have been contemplating a 986 for a little while now, and I have noticed that the S cars are commanding significantly more. 5 to 10 thousand more than similarly equipped base models.

Is the difference really that significant? 5 grand is a set of H&R Coilovers and a good set of aftermarket wheels and tires.

Would I be happier with a modified base model than a stock S? I think I might be...

Talk to me...
Old 12-14-2011, 09:57 AM
CW-VIESOCK
Skunk Whisperer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

10 grand won't get you a bigger motor, bigger brakes and upgraded suspension. Not even close.

If you are wanting the performance an S car will give you, the purchase premium is well worth it.

Plus, you get that S on the trunk.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:20 AM
Turb-OH Brad
Pro

Ten Grand will get you a TPC turbo kit (maniacal laugh), and another 5K will get you Coilovers (I wouldn't be able to leave the S suspension alone anyway, so I consider this sunk cost), and a decent BBK.

The S badge is like 30 bucks.

If I did end up doing all of that, it wouldn't be that far away from a stripped interior, 996 RSR bumpers and flares, a hardtop, and 13 inch wide slicks...(maniacal laugh, maniacal laugh)
Old 12-14-2011, 10:35 AM
CW-VIESOCK
Skunk Whisperer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like you have your mind already set on modding whatever you get, so it becomes a question of were do you want to start. If turbo punch is you bag, then go for it.

Oh, the S on the trunk is what really makes it go fast
Old 12-14-2011, 10:42 AM
Turb-OH Brad
Pro

Originally Posted by CWRS60Spyder
Sounds like you have your mind already set on modding whatever you get, so it becomes a question of were do you want to start. If turbo punch is you bag, then go for it.

Oh, the S on the trunk is what really makes it go fast
Just playing a bit of devils advocate. LOL.

If I could find a particularly nice and well cared for S, I might jump up for the price, and keep it relatively stock. I can't personally tell the difference power-wise (It's only 30ish horsepower, and my butt dyno isn't that finely tuned). If I were going to go hog wild, I might just start with a base model though...
Old 12-14-2011, 12:01 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Turb-OH Brad
I have been contemplating a 986 for a little while now, and I have noticed that the S cars are commanding significantly more. 5 to 10 thousand more than similarly equipped base models. Is the difference really that significant? 5 grand is a set of H&R Coilovers and a good set of aftermarket wheels and tires.

Would I be happier with a modified base model than a stock S? I think I might be...

Talk to me...
This is true now & it will be true when you sell the car. You will never be happier with a modified base Box over a stock S !
Old 12-14-2011, 12:04 PM
Turb-OH Brad
Pro

Originally Posted by Byprodriver
This is true now & it will be true when you sell the car. You will never be happier with a modified base Box over a stock S !
But the question is why? If you are so sure of that, explain yourself!

Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:26 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

But the question is why? If you are so sure of that, explain yourself!

Inquiring minds want to know.
There is no replacement for displacement, it costs $10K to install a larger engine or turbo so why not get the S so your investment can be recovered at resale time + you get the bigger brakes & improved rear suspension. If you want to experience the next step up come drive my 3.6 2000 S
Old 12-14-2011, 01:13 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

S has much better front brakes, trust me. You wouldn't think so, but the problems track drivers have with the non-S.... Just FYI.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:17 AM
grayman
Advanced

I have been contemplating a 986 for a little while now, and I have noticed that the S cars are commanding significantly more. 5 to 10 thousand more than similarly equipped base models.

Is the difference really that significant? 5 grand is a set of H&R Coilovers and a good set of aftermarket wheels and tires.

Talk to me...

Brad,

Looks like we live in the same area. I have a 2000 Boxster S, (as well as a 996 turbo X50 (Tip) and a 944 Turbo S). When we started looking for a Boxster in 2001, we drove a base and an S back to back, and the overall feel of the S was much better than the base (similar years and mileage). Porsche continues to upgrade their cars year after year, and a modern 987 base would probably dust my 2000 S. So, I would suggest that you buy an S and start with the best possible platform. If the mod bug still bites you, you'll be a bit further ahead. If you decide not to mod, you will still be ahead.

Just my .02
Old 12-16-2011, 12:33 PM
StatmanDesigns
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If interested in a bone stock 2000 S. Speed Yellow, 36K miles, in Cincinnati, shoot me a PM...
Old 12-16-2011, 03:14 PM
streaydog
Advanced

The S has bigger brakes on the front and back and also two radiators if I'm not mistaken. Dual exhaust tip which isn't a biggie but I think is cool. But the Torque!!!
Old 12-16-2011, 03:31 PM
Plyman438
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Talk to me...
I don't know where you are looking, but when I bought my 2001 base Boxster with 50,000 miles, S models of same year were going for about $1,000-$2000 more tops with same miles and condition. New an S model is worth $10,000 more with similar options, but used 986 no way. Now maintaining a used 986 is going to cost you more with bigger brakes, and tires. Purchase price very slight premium.

2001 Orient Red Metallic Boxster
Old 12-16-2011, 08:54 PM
Turb-OH Brad
Pro

Just to clarify, I am aware of the differences between a base Boxster and an S. I know why one is better than the other.

The question is... Is a base Boxster with a big brake kit, bigger wheels and tires, a coilover kit, and a performance exhaust still worse than a Boxster S?

Is 30 horsepower really worth ten grand?
Old 12-16-2011, 10:12 PM
racer
Drifting

30hp isn't worth 10K... but in the used market, I don't think say, a 2000 base and a 2000S have a 10K price delta anymore, given similar condition vehicles.

I regularly beat "s" models with my base 2000 at AX and since it was designation delete, many at the track assumed it an "S" since, well, "how could a base boxster be so fast"

Quick Reply: How much more is an S worth?