Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chassis & engine numbers? IMS looks odd.

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 10:54 PM
Han Solo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chassis & engine numbers? IMS looks odd.

Where's the location of the chassis and engine numbers on 1st gen Boxsters?

We're looking at our IMS seal and suspect that it's already been upgraded. I would imagine that if Porsche had replaced the engine on this '99 that the engine number would not match the chassis. Does anyone know if the replacement engines from Porsche had a upgraded IMS seal, special markings or other identifiers?
Old 12-12-2011, 11:26 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Some engine replacements approximately => 2006 received larger unserviceable IMS bearings. New IMS seals were introduced in appx Nov 2000, so 2001 cars and after would have the revised seal.

S/N of the engine is on the bottom edge of the oil sump plate on a small raised relief (right rear car IIRC on a 986). Might need a wire brush and some degreaser to see the numbers.

Post the number and it can be decoded here or on renntech.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:18 AM
CW-VIESOCK
Skunk Whisperer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

When in doubt, change it out. Even if the motor was replace, at some point, factory updated motors have still suffered from IMS failures. Since you are in there, put a LN in and drive on.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:58 AM
Han Solo
Instructor

We're going to contact Flat Six for opinion. Here's a bit of our email to them...

We started to suspect that the clutch was nearing the end of its life and decided to replace it this winter. At the same time, we decided to replace the IMS bearing. After removing the flywheel, we found no evidence of any oil leaking around the IMS at all, only clutch dust. After cleaning the dust away and examining the lower area, we found that the IMS shaft cover had some sort of sealant smeared around it. It almost filled in the concave section of the cover, the bearing stud, and the seam between the carrier and the engine case. The sealant was yellowish brown in color and still very pliable.

There is also a straight yellow mark (possibly paint) at about the 2 o'clock position, that runs across the cover and onto the engine case. It seems sort of odd for the sealant to be there if this is a factory original engine and if the IMS has never been touched. There are no numbers or markings on the cover, but it looks like a cast piece judging by the rough surface in the concave section. The only other distinguishing item is that the nut on the bearing stud is 13mm.

Attached are pictures of some of the sealant pieces, the rear engine case, and two close ups of the IMS cover. Could you offer any advice as to whether this might be a replacement IMS, and if so, should we mess with it?

The cars VIN is WP0CA2983XU624246, and the engine number is M96/2065X05586.

If someone here can look those numbers up in the Porsche data base and let us know if that's a replacement engine and at what mileage that was done - that would be extremely helpful.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:37 AM
CW-VIESOCK
Skunk Whisperer
Rennlist Member

Carfax shows the first owner of your car was fanatical about changing the oil/filter. Porsche of the MAINLINE--P: 610-886-1000--(Top P-CAR DEALER) seemed to do all the maintenance from day one until you got the car. You can call them with the Vin# and get the down-low on this car.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:19 AM
CW-VIESOCK
Skunk Whisperer
Rennlist Member

You've got the original motor per Porsche records. Post pics.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:47 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Han Solo
Where's the location of the chassis and engine numbers on 1st gen Boxsters?

We're looking at our IMS seal and suspect that it's already been upgraded. I would imagine that if Porsche had replaced the engine on this '99 that the engine number would not match the chassis. Does anyone know if the replacement engines from Porsche had a upgraded IMS seal, special markings or other identifiers?
The IMS seal may have been upgraded when (if) the RMS was replaced.

It was SOP (or so I was told and it proved to be true in my 02 Boxster's case) was when the RMS was replaced the IMS end plate was upgraded at the same time.

Many times it was the early IMS end plate and its single o-ring and untreated bolts that was the 'RMS leak' not the RMS.

The new end plate came with a 3-ribbed seal and micro-encapsulated bolts to seal the bolt threads to prevent oil from seeping past and causing the symptoms of an RMS leak.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:51 AM
Han Solo
Instructor

Had to reduce file size of photos but they should be here now...

So I called Mainline and spoke to a service tech who looked at the records. He confirmed that the car had been very well maintained with oil changes, brake service, etc. I asked him about major engine service and he said only two things showed up...

154,000 miles - AOS changed

155,000 miles - Customer complained of some hesitation. Diagnosed as crank sensor errors and recommended new timing chain. Was offered a rebuilt engine and that was declined by the customer (you have to crack open the engine casing to do the timing chain). That's probably when the car was traded in...

The service tech did not find any records indicating IMS upgrade procedure.

So I guess we need to proceed with the IMS upgrade and hope for a long life on the timing chain.
Attached Images    
Old 12-13-2011, 10:52 AM
Han Solo
Instructor

And thank you Charles W. for your help
Old 12-13-2011, 11:03 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

I'm a bit skeptical of the diagnosis the timing chain needs to be replaced. My 02 Boxster has received similar servicing and has 258K miles on its timing chains and not one sign of any problems with the chains or guides or tensioners.

Not too long ago the VarioCam solenoid and actuator on the passenger's side bank went out. I got a chance to look at some engine innards and the chains, sprockets, and guides I could see looked just fine, no signs of any wear. Even the actuator guide rails showed no real wear. Oh, the lifter tops and the cam lobes all looked in very good shape, too.

Might add that what I believe happens, at least in my car's case, the solenoid goes out -- it is just an electrical device -- and in some way this solenoid can cause premature failure of the actuator. Both units are sealed so there's no way of knowing what failed inside but from the outside the units look just like the new replacement units.

Anyhow, if you want, with a Durametric setup I believe you can check the various timing parameters and depending upon what you see make your own diagnosis.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:24 AM
Han Solo
Instructor

Originally Posted by Macster
I'm a bit skeptical of the diagnosis the timing chain needs to be replaced. My 02 Boxster has received similar servicing and has 258K miles on its timing chains and not one sign of any problems with the chains or guides or tensioners.

Not too long ago the VarioCam solenoid and actuator on the passenger's side bank went out. I got a chance to look at some engine innards and the chains, sprockets, and guides I could see looked just fine, no signs of any wear. Even the actuator guide rails showed no real wear. Oh, the lifter tops and the cam lobes all looked in very good shape, too.

Might add that what I believe happens, at least in my car's case, the solenoid goes out -- it is just an electrical device -- and in some way this solenoid can cause premature failure of the actuator. Both units are sealed so there's no way of knowing what failed inside but from the outside the units look just like the new replacement units.

Anyhow, if you want, with a Durametric setup I believe you can check the various timing parameters and depending upon what you see make your own diagnosis.

Sincerely,

Macster.
That's comforting. Thanks Macster!
Old 12-13-2011, 11:42 AM
CW-VIESOCK
Skunk Whisperer
Rennlist Member

The IMS and RMS "look" to be the old OEM units. I am not clairvoyant but maybe even the originals. WOW!!! All of those oil changes may have gave you a 300k motor.
I would replace both while in there.

Good luck...
Old 12-13-2011, 12:39 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

That is the original IMS nut, the flange could have been changed per the new seal TSB 8/00 1551. The revised Porsche nut is 22mm. The LNE ceramic retrofit nut is 11mm 12 point. The only way to tell about what seal is used is to pull the flange cover off (FOLLOW CORRECT PROCEDURE). That's a moot point regardless, if you've already sourced the LNE retrofit kit.

Your engine serial decodes as follows...

M96/20 = Boxster 2.5L

65X = 1999

05586 = Sequence number

This is the original engine from the car based on the VIN #.

Last edited by logray; 12-13-2011 at 01:12 PM.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:45 PM
Han Solo
Instructor

Originally Posted by logray
That is the original IMS nut, the flange could have been changed per the new seal TSB 8/00 1551. The revised Porsche nut is 22mm. The LNE ceramic retrofit is 11mm or 12mm 12 point IIRC. The only way to tell about what seal is used is to pull the flange cover off (FOLLOW CORRECT PROCEDURE). That's a moot point regardless, if you've already sourced the LNE retrofit kit.

Your engine serial decodes as follows...

M96/20 = Boxster 2.5L

65X = 1999

05586 = Sequence number

This is the original engine from the car based on the VIN #.
Very good. Thanks for your trouble!
Old 12-19-2011, 01:17 PM
GMS
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The case and IMS hpusing bolts were upated the Torx type in 2005, so this engine hasn't been apart since then.

Quick Reply: Chassis & engine numbers? IMS looks odd.