Sponsored by:

Is Brake Break-in required?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 11:24 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,712 Likes on 1,062 Posts
Default Is Brake Break-in required?

Sorry if this is a repeat post, but my search is not working from my iPhone. I just had the pads, rotors, and sensors replaced in my 2000 Boxster S. Do I just take it easy for 100-200 miles, or should I bed the pads with repeated stops as described in multiple sites online for different sets of pads. These are stock pads and rotors, so I'm thinking light braking is all that's needed.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:51 AM
nosnow
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You will want to bed the brake pads if you did the job yourself. If you took it to a shop they probably did it. I've never taken it easy after a brake job. Bed the pads and drive as normal.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:52 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

For street driving just go easy for a hundred miles or so. For track, use the bedding instructions as found on the Stoptech web site.
Regards,
Old 09-02-2011, 03:20 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
Sorry if this is a repeat post, but my search is not working from my iPhone. I just had the pads, rotors, and sensors replaced in my 2000 Boxster S. Do I just take it easy for 100-200 miles, or should I bed the pads with repeated stops as described in multiple sites online for different sets of pads. These are stock pads and rotors, so I'm thinking light braking is all that's needed.
I've done the brakes on my Boxster now many times and I always give the brakes a bed in afterwards.

The bedding in helps the brakes work better sooner.

No need to get all crazy. I just take the car out someplace where I have the room to accelerate up to speed then apply the brakes hard, but with no ABS or wheel lock up, and slow the car down to under 30mph.

I'm very careful to *not* bring the car to a stop.

Then I release the brake pedal and do this again. The idea is to get the brakes hot and I repeat at no time bring the car to a stop.

Each time the brake pedal is applied I feel the brakes bite better. I stop after 3 times. I really don't feel any need for any more. By the 3rd time the brakes are biting good enough.

Be sure then you drive the car long enough to give the brakes plenty of time to cool down.

Done.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: Is Brake Break-in required?