Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IMS Failure Dectector From Flat6 ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 05:56 PM
zackdel
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IMS Failure Dectector From Flat6 ?

Has anyone heard about a new IMS Failure Indicator Device.
A friend of mine said he heard something about online.
Anyone know the details? Where to buy and what it cost?
Old 06-17-2011, 06:16 PM
ChrisJP
Intermediate

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=90872
Old 06-17-2011, 09:34 PM
zackdel
2nd Gear

Default Thanks

Thanks for the link. Didnt think to look in the 996
forum. Looks like there is a ton of interest on that
page. I assume the device will work for Boxsters.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:51 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

Yes it can be applied to a Boxster.. Any 97-2004 M96 powered Porsche can benefit from the IMS Guardian.
We have not fully launched the product yet, just started pre sales yesterday. Technical details will be available in a few weeks..
Old 06-18-2011, 03:04 AM
ChrisJP
Intermediate

Originally Posted by zackdel
Didnt think to look in the 996 forum.
Honestly, rcarpen22 pointed me to the link couple days ago. But it's only when I answered your post that I found out about the pre-sale and registered immediately.

Last edited by ChrisJP; 06-18-2011 at 07:00 AM.
Old 06-18-2011, 01:03 PM
recycled sixties
Advanced

Wink ims shaft...

Well this is all fascinating stuff. I have not looked into this new tech for ims shaft (pre)detection. As much as North Amer. has a high level of tech, I have a certain degree of scepticism about anything like this. I hope that money down was not a requirement. I certainly would not be the first to buy one when it comes out - kind of like when a new model of car comes out, there are more problems in the first year etc.

Let the maker/inventor prove its worth. It will interesting to see how it works before it can be sold. If it proves to be a worthwhile product, it will sell well. If it is a dud, then there are bound to be a few who get scammed. Good luck to the makers/inventors. If it works well, then they deserve their just reward.

When I was in my early 20's I used to buy enough problem 2nd hand cars.
Now I am older I have lots of doubt about many things. Caveat emptor.
Happy motoring!
Guy
Old 06-18-2011, 03:52 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

We appreciate skeptics.. I totally expect some people to be skeptical a the good ole 10% rule always applies.
Anyone that doubts the system simply doesn't have to buy it, it's that simple.
No money has been taken from any person who has taken part in the pre-sales of these units. Any pre-purchaser will have the opportunity to cancel their order when the technology is unveiled if for any reason they don't appreciate what we have created.
I have learned to expect skeptics and use the negative energy to push harder and develop more. Skepticism and doubt go hand and hand and anything new will be subject to as much of this as positive energy.. Heck the positive energy has been more than I ever expected, thanks for bringing me back to reality.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:42 PM
ChrisJP
Intermediate

I don't think it's only matter of skepticism but rather the usual trend in new product diffusion: there are innovators, early adopters, early majority, late majority and laggards (classified by purchase timing).

In this particular case, I might fall in the second and recycled sixties in the 3rd.
Early adopters are kind of "geeks": always ready to deal with possible issues (even expecting them), but getting the early majority on board is the real challenge.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:24 PM
Zurichgnome
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Flat6 has an absolutely outstanding reputation. If I had/have a major engine problem with my wife's Boxster or my 996, I'll bring it there without a second thought. I'm going to wait a little while on the IMS detection unit since I need to buy 2. I'm sure it will ultimately be fantastic. But I worry a little about false positives -- as I'm sure they do. I want to know a little more about the technology. I'll let the guys who really know what they are doing put it through the ringer. But it's not a matter of if I buy one -- just a matter of when.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:25 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Flat6 has an absolutely outstanding reputation. If I had/have a major engine problem with my wife's Boxster or my 996, I'll bring it there without a second thought.
Thank you so much. What a great statement to read on the Monday leading into a crazy week.

Anyone wanting to wait to see how well the technology is received certainly can. I also never the person to buy something as soon as it is released, so I do understand the waiting game.

If you wait, don't expect any price breaks or incentives. It appears that these units will have no challenge selling in crazy volumes and won't need promotions to move them. I'd expect units to be at full retail pricing after these first 500 units are spoken for and we won't allow "specials" to be ran through our distributors that may discount the technology.

As far as false positives go; well with the way the system samples, if you receive a false positive there is a reason for it that requires attention. It could be a false positive that the issue that lead to the IMS Alert is indeed an IMS failure, but it will scream that something generated the problem.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:18 PM
tstiles
Cruisin'

This is messing up my plan to acquire a 987 ... Will there be a IMS Guardian for the 987 , or do I need to buy a 986 ?
Old 06-21-2011, 09:32 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

The 987 unit is nothing more than a different dash mounted switch to meet the interior changes Porsche made. The rest of the system is the exact same.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:41 PM
tstiles
Cruisin'

Thanks Jake , I thought I read something that said there was no IMS Guardian for the 987.

I'll start my search again and when I buy a 987 , the 1st aftermarket purchase will the an IMS Guardian
Old 06-22-2011, 11:12 AM
rcarpen22
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really think the 987 market is where this unit will make the most difference. Obviously, 986 drivers will buy it too, but it costs a LOT more to replace the IMS bearing on a 987. Even if you do the work yourself, it will take a lot more valuable time. I don't think I would have ever bought a 987 without something like this. Now, who knows :-) Just as an aside question, is there an optional handheld indicator unit that would allow a quick installation and test as a part of a PPI?

Last edited by rcarpen22; 06-22-2011 at 11:35 AM.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:28 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

BUT on a 987 and 997 if the IMS Alert is given the bearing still can't be retrofitted without complete engine teardown. No retrofit is possible.

No handheld unit will be available, the system must be hardwired into the car for constant monitoring.

Quick Reply: IMS Failure Dectector From Flat6 ?