Sponsored by:

back in the market again for another porsche

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 05:57 PM
dallison28
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default back in the market again for another porsche

For some reason i sold my 02s in August and i thought i would be ok with it. Why? I thought i would save the money towards the next house, but i am already doing that and i miss having a porsche in the garage. The sound, the feel, the entire experience it is something else.

I have been searching locally w/o many cars to look at. I am open to a base or an S. I also want to expand my search to a 99-01 carrera. I am thinking that i want to drive it all year long but am not too sure.

I also considered a honda s2000. There are more of those around and it has also sparked my interest since we have had many honda/acura products. I test drove an 07 today and couldn't wait to get out. I did not like the entire experience. The humps on the floor, the inability to use the window switch, the creaking, and other things.
I didn't like the clutch letting out at the very top either.

I drove across the street to the porsche dealer where they had a red 03s. Just cranking it up put a grin on my face. I missed the sound and feel of the clutch. It had torque right from the beginning and it felt good in my hands. The rms seal was leaking and one of the horns wasn't working. It was serviced at the dealer and had new brakes and tires which is a plus. But, it was 23,500 and red.

I need to drive a carrera also. I am sure i will love it but I need to make sure that it is an option.

I would want a hardtop so i can drive it in the winter and if it's a private sale hopefully it has a set of extra wheels with winter tires.

I also need to drive a base boxster to see if i like it.

The Hershey swap meet is coming up in three weeks so hopefully i'll find something i like.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:10 PM
Plyman438
Instructor

Hi: I'm new to this forum, although I've been reading it for a few months and been searching for used Boxster for about 18 months. This past Thursday, I picked up my "new" 2001 Zanzibar red standard Boxster with 5 speed manual and love it. It has 54,000 miles and looks new almost considering it's 10 years old. In answer to above question, I have found the standard Boxster to be extremely quick and powerful in 1st and 2nd gear. The vehicle weighs under 2,800 pounds and runs sweet right up to red line. Third gear power is a little stunted, but not a big deal as you are way over most speed limits. And I didn't buy the Boxster for straight line performance. Very revvy and tossable, and sounds great. I love performance vehicles that are tame at idle, but get very aggressive when you pick up the revs. The standard Boxster makes great music as the revs mount and pulls strongly, especially in 1st and 2nd gear. I don't miss not having a Boxster S. I think I'll keep this car and enjoy it on windy roads.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:13 AM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Plyman438
Hi: I'm new to this forum, although I've been reading it for a few months and been searching for used Boxster for about 18 months. This past Thursday, I picked up my "new" 2001 Zanzibar red standard Boxster with 5 speed manual and love it. It has 54,000 miles and looks new almost considering it's 10 years old. In answer to above question, I have found the standard Boxster to be extremely quick and powerful in 1st and 2nd gear. The vehicle weighs under 2,800 pounds and runs sweet right up to red line. Third gear power is a little stunted, but not a big deal as you are way over most speed limits. And I didn't buy the Boxster for straight line performance. Very revvy and tossable, and sounds great. I love performance vehicles that are tame at idle, but get very aggressive when you pick up the revs. The standard Boxster makes great music as the revs mount and pulls strongly, especially in 1st and 2nd gear. I don't miss not having a Boxster S. I think I'll keep this car and enjoy it on windy roads.
Well let's see some photos of that new baby!
Old 04-03-2011, 03:43 PM
Plyman438
Instructor

Originally Posted by Charlie C
Well let's see some photos of that new baby!
Sorry I didn't post pics. As soon as I hand wash it, I will take some good pics and post them.

------------------
2001 Porsche Boxster
Old 04-04-2011, 02:09 PM
cretinx
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you got my emails . . . .
Old 04-04-2011, 07:20 PM
dallison28
Pro

yes i did.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:24 PM
dallison28
Pro

I may revisit this again. I really would like to find an 02+ s for under 15k.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:38 PM
dallison28
Pro

Ok, looking again.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:08 PM
CW-VIESOCK
Skunk Whisperer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dallison28
Ok, looking again.
So my antennas pickup the right signal, what are you for, Boxster or 911?
Color, trans., options?
Old 02-04-2012, 08:07 PM
dallison28
Pro

A boxster any color except red/black/green unless the price is right except for green. I don't want tip at all, Litronics might be nice too.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:33 AM
fronesis47
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, looking again.
I may revisit this again. I really would like to find an 02+ s for under 15k.
Uh oh, looks like you and a I are looking for the same car and we live almost in the same place (I'm straight down 83 from you in Baltimore)!

I've been looking for a while now and the 986s cars seem to be hard to find at that price. Lots of people asking well over $20K for 03-04 cars, and just not that many clean 00-02 cars.

I drove one on Thursday in DC that was very well maintained (had IMS upgrade) and was nice. But it had 70k miles on it and the seller was asking $16.5K. It was a fair price in this market right now. He got full asking price a few hours later. But it was a bit more than I wanted to spend.

I can get a base 05-06 987 for right around $20K. So I'm just not all that comfortable spending $17K for the older cars. Of course, I haven't driven a 987 (base or S) and I need to do that to see if I'm even interested in the newer car. I LOVED the 986 S.

So under $15K is hard to come by. I'll send you a PM if I find anything closer to you that I can't get to.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:45 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Asking price is not sales price. A lot of people have entirely unreasonable expectations about what their cars are worth. Sometimes they get it, because buyers also have no idea how much these cars are worth, but they'll just as often sit unsold for months/years. Small # of cars and small # of buyers makes it tough.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:21 PM
dallison28
Pro

lol, you are correct! I'm about 30 miles north of the MD/PA line. I think i know which one you were talking about. I haven't driven a base yet, but i might not like it as much as an s.

You are probably looking in the same places i am and there aren't many out there close to us.

I know the deals are out there for something well maintained and less expensive but not right now.

Originally Posted by fronesis47
Uh oh, looks like you and a I are looking for the same car and we live almost in the same place (I'm straight down 83 from you in Baltimore)!

I've been looking for a while now and the 986s cars seem to be hard to find at that price. Lots of people asking well over $20K for 03-04 cars, and just not that many clean 00-02 cars.

I drove one on Thursday in DC that was very well maintained (had IMS upgrade) and was nice. But it had 70k miles on it and the seller was asking $16.5K. It was a fair price in this market right now. He got full asking price a few hours later. But it was a bit more than I wanted to spend.

I can get a base 05-06 987 for right around $20K. So I'm just not all that comfortable spending $17K for the older cars. Of course, I haven't driven a 987 (base or S) and I need to do that to see if I'm even interested in the newer car. I LOVED the 986 S.

So under $15K is hard to come by. I'll send you a PM if I find anything closer to you that I can't get to.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:36 PM
RonnieTheC
Advanced

Default New 2013 Boxster First Drive?

Has anyone seen any articles about how the new 2013 Boxster drives compared to the current one?
Old 02-06-2012, 09:08 PM
fivepointnine
Instructor

Id probably sell my 02S for 15k, be a nice chunk of money to put towards an Elise! But my car is way far away from ya'll, and its black lol

Quick Reply: back in the market again for another porsche