Sponsored by:

PPI Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 10:43 PM
Phi1720
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PPI Question

After a 3 years since selling my 944, I'm heavily considering selling in my 08 Mazdaspeed 3 for a 2000-2002 (03 if the price is right) Boxster S. I've been researching locally for about 3 months now & have seen several good examples at a used European cars dealer nearby that also happens to be a Porsche independent shop. I've seen their shop & it appears exteremely reputable & does plenty of race prep Porsche work as well.

Is it still worthwile to get a PPI done by someone not directly linked to the dealer who shares the same shop (ie. the Porsche dealership down the road)? If I still had my 944, I'd be taking it to this independent for work anyways rather than the Porsche dealer down the road.

That being said, I want to believe I can get a great PPI from the shop but also don't want to be naive about my purchase while still saving face with the dealer since I'll be returning for any service beyond my DIY skill in the future.

Thanks!
Old 01-03-2011, 12:44 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While there is a conflict of interest in having the seller also do the PPI, they might also use the shops existence as a way of helping the sale .. ie. "if you have any problems, we can also be the place you come to get it fixed". It is also possible that they won't allow you to take it somewhere else for a PPI, but it never hurts to ask.

imho, the BIG issues are ones a PPI wont catch (like failing IMS). Worn tires or shocks you should be able to see. I am sure there are sites with a list of Boxster specific PPI items you'd want inspected as well. I'd simply bone up on your own skills (and if you had a 944, surely you had to fix something from time to time).. as a compliment to ANY ppi. afterall, a PPI isn't a warranty from future problems, just a second set of eyes to point out existing problems.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:03 AM
Phi1720
Rennlist Member

Thank you for the feedback. Right now I'm planning to keep searching and will hopefully find a well cared for (rennlist, pelicanparts, pca, etc) to feel confident with my purchase. I did get a copy of 101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster in the mail last night. This book is excellent and I think I'll be a lot more confident buyer after reading it.

You are correct that the 944 was a great DIY teacher. I was just fortunate enough to purchase it from a family member who had owned it for 17 yrs which eliminated concerns of previous service.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:13 PM
rcarpen22
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm doing the same thing. 2007 MS3 getting sold. 2002 Box S getting bought. I love the Mazda but it just doesn't provide the same experience.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:36 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

If you buy from a business that repairs the car you are buying they should have no objections to giving you a Written Warranty showing their confidence in the condition of the car.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:27 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

I had my PPI done at a shop that had previously worked on the Boxster I totaled. They also later did all the work on the new car. My level of trust in them was extremely high. They had more half-apart engines in the shop than any dealer's service shop I'd ever visited in my major metropolitan area where I had 4-6 Porsches within 4 blocks of my house.

So ask to see a PPI the shop did on a previous car. They should have a form and a process. If they don't, run away. Would I value the PPI done at a seller's shop? Not much. Too much conflict of interest for the average shop to handle. My shop didn't sell cars, but did allow customer adverts to be posted on a board. That way little conflict.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:52 AM
Phi1720
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the input Mike. Looks like I'm just down the road from you. Would you mind PM'ing your shop info to me?

Thanks!
Old 01-08-2011, 08:51 PM
RoadWarrior19
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

I am well acquainted with the businesses you are referring to. I get my 911 serviced there. The sellers are straight shooters and I think you'd get an honest evaluation if you had the PPI done at the shop. Note that the sales business and service shop are owned by two different people.

Having said that, if you find a boxster there that you like and want to follow the usual approach of a fully independent PPI, there is another shop in Cary that has an excellent Porsche mechanic - Matt - who would do a good PPI for you.

http://www.importmotorwerks.com/

Have you looked at this one?

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/2099657036.html

If it was black (or dark blue or white), I'd have gone to check it out myself but I don't care for bright red.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:41 PM
Phi1720
Rennlist Member

Hi Michael. Thanks for the info. I feel really good about the shop from speaking with them so far and the amount of race prep porsche work they appear to do. I'll give Matt a call too when the time is right. I appreciate the contact info.

That is a sharp craigslist boxter but I'm with you on the red. Unfortunately, I'm only looking for an S model for the 3.2L. I did check out an S at Captial Mazda of Cary this week with nice options & my favorite 18" turbo twist wheels, but it was yellow with yellow interior trim & would be less of a color preferance than red in my opinion. I'm interested in a 996 coupe as well if I could find a 6 speed in the low $20k range of which there are a few private sellers locally.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:02 PM
RevnHevn
3rd Gear

Nice to see some locals. I'm in Greensboro.. about 1.5 hrs south of Raleigh. Just picked up a 2002 Boxster S in Guards Red with only 6,150 mi. on it a little over a month ago.

I don't want to stray off subject, but if you guys know of any experienced local shops that may be able to do an IMS bearing swap for the LN Engineering one it'd be helpful. That's an investment I'll be looking at in 6-12 months as the mileage is still low and the car isn't driven that much. When it's driven, it's driven though.

According to Foreign Cars Italia, they haven't performed one of these swaps. They'll only replace the flange with a new one.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:57 PM
RoadWarrior19
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

On this page is a link to approved installers:

http://www.lnengineering.com/ims.html

One is Millersport in Hillsborough, a well regarded Indie Porsche shop:

http://www.millersportauto.com/

Another option will soon be available from Pelican Parts for a lower cost. Nice score with that low mileage Boxster. Bring it down to Brier Creek Commons some time on the first Saturday of any month for a large gathering of cars and enthusiasts.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:49 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

The Pelican kit that may be available in a few months is mostly the same parts (bearing with inner seal) and design (lifetime lube) that Porsche originally used. On my web site is a table of differences between the 2 kits...Pelican and LN. A big difference in design, materials, what is included, expected longevity, cost. None that I can see in degree of installation difficulty or installation cost. You decide.

That Brier Creek gathering is a fun one, 'boys and their toys' is what I call it.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:53 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

A link to that IMS kits page https://sites.google.com/site/mikefo...pages/ims-kits
Old 01-19-2011, 11:12 PM
Phi1720
Rennlist Member

I agree. Great to see some rennlisters close by and thanks for the tip on brier creek I'll be sure to check it out.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:06 AM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mikefocke
Great website Mark, Thanks

Quick Reply: PPI Question