Sponsored by:

Thinking about a new Boxster

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 11:29 AM
fhp911
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Thinking about a new Boxster

I love my GT3 but I've had it 7 years and am thinking about replacing it with a Boxster S instead -- I miss having a convertible. (previously I had a '98 Boxster and an '00 Boxster S.)

Question: How much longer will the 987-type be made?
What are the plans for the replacement?

TIA,

Fred
Old 12-24-2010, 11:45 AM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Speculation and rumor on my part but I've heard that the 987 will be replaced in 2012 or 2013 with a possibly smaller engine ( flat 4 turbo??)
Porsche is very good a keeping secrets.
Old 12-24-2010, 05:51 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by smlporsche
Speculation and rumor on my part but I've heard that the 987 will be replaced in 2012 or 2013 with a possibly smaller engine ( flat 4 turbo??)
Porsche is very good a keeping secrets.
I've come across much the same and you are right, Porsche is very good about keeping secrets.

Also, what it is good at -- as are other car makers -- is creating rumors to get a sense of the market's possible acceptance of a change in a model.

This rumor of using a turbo-charged flat 4 engine (or a variation I've come across is using an Audi 4 cyl. (in line) turbo-charged engine) in the new Boxster or in sub-Boxster model is one.

To the OP: Generally the last MY of a model's run is the best example. The current 987 is a mighty fine automobile and would make a fine car.

Sure, the next offering in a couple of years from Porsche might be better (almost certainly will be in some respects anyhow if we look back in time and use that to have an idea of what to expect in the future from Porsche) but it will take a couple of years to appear and then generally one wants to hold off jumping in to a new model. A new model should be given one year to mature and preferrably a couple of years.

Now you're looking at buying the 987's replacement 3 or more years into the future.

In the meantime a nice 987 (new or used -- used has some advantages) would be a nice car to drive while time passes until the new model arrives and proves its mettle.

A good used 987 taken care of should not depreciate too much and in fact could remain in your fleet along side the 987's replacement.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 03-09-2011, 04:00 PM
ELMEL
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW, I just ordered a new Boxster S a week ago, and I'm told it will be produced as a 2012 987.
Old 03-10-2011, 03:49 PM
mikstew
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also, I don't think it's speculation anymore about the AUDI 4 cylinder. I read it a while back that porsche was trying to get CO2s down so they went with a crappy 4 banger for the new boxsters.

I guess you got one just in time.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:41 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Judging by all of the limited edition models the 987 should definitely be very near the end of the life cycle. Allocations are still available for 2012 but at some point they will have to switch over to the new 981.

My understanding is that Porsche will be adding a new smaller convertible which will be their entry level car instead of the Cayman/Boxster.

This new car will have a 4 cylinder Turbo as the base engine.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:01 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by mikstew
Also, I don't think it's speculation anymore about the AUDI 4 cylinder. I read it a while back that porsche was trying to get CO2s down so they went with a crappy 4 banger for the new boxsters.

I guess you got one just in time.
A usually reliable source has the new 'baby' Boxster using a flat 4 derived from the new flat 6 engine with 2 cylinders lopped off and twin turbos added.

Unless Porsche does a 'Cayman' to the baby Boxster the baby Boxster will be faster than the regular base Boxster. A small 4 cylinder turbo-charged engine can produce easy 300hp. Coupled with a lighter car...

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:06 AM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
......Unless Porsche does a 'Cayman' to the baby Boxster the baby Boxster will be faster than the regular base Boxster. A small 4 cylinder turbo-charged engine can produce easy 300hp. Coupled with a lighter car...

Sincerely,

Macster.
You have to look no further than the Subaru Legacy GT which has a Porsche designed turbocharged flat 4 putting out 250 HP in it's tamest form up to over 300HP in the wrx.

We just sold my wife's '05 GT with over 120K on the clock. Very dependable engine and quite powerful in an AWD configuration...

Quick Reply: Thinking about a new Boxster