Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Nice job & well done!! Doing a dyno?
Old 12-16-2010, 09:57 PM
twsarch
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Byprodriver
I have rebuilt many musclecar engines from Chevy, Pontiac & Ford but nothing newer than 1994 5.0 when I worked at Saleen. Jake Raby's class was very helpful.
I must warn you though to rebuild 1 engine considering the special tools you need, the cost of the parts, & the hours required, it may be cheaper to send to Flat6innovations.
Thanks for the info. How long did it take you to rebuild this one? I figure given your experience it would take me at least twice as long, which is ok as I will go as far as money would allow and then stop to save a bit more. I have an uncle with a machine shop, he and I can make some of the tools such as the cam hold down items, wrist pin tools and crank wrench. I know I will have to buy the Chain tension tools and cam timing tools and probably a few things I don’t yet know about. I already have a boarscope and all the more common stuff. (Forgive me if I am using incorrect terminology). Does anyone know if there is a list of the special tools on the web?

That is a beautiful job by the way. It looks like you polished every part. Everything is so clean. It’s almost a shame you had to cover some of it up to build the engine; it’s so nice to look at. Can you post a video of the car running?

Almost forgot, I wanted to ask what machine work was done on the crank and cams? Back in the small block days, I would send the crank out to get turned and it would come back with the correct bearings to go with the new journal size from the machine shop. Small block Chevy cams are a dime a dozen so that was always new.

Again great job, thanks for sharing.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:38 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

I have no plans to pay for dyno time but I am anxious to compete at the track when it's broken in. I'm sure I spent over 300 hours on this rebuild. The only machining done to the crank was balancing along with every other part in the reciprocating assembly from crank pulley to pressure plate. Undersize bearings are not available & rods are not rebuildable so it's best to start with a good running engine. Cams are just measured for wear & reused for emissions compliance & low rpm torque. Parts have to be clean to seal properly & keep lint out of the oil. With so much money at stake you don't want to rush anything.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:46 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

^ Understood. The balancing and careful hand assembly is why I asked: Given same, I would bet there is some power gain (over stock). Have fun, you've earned it!
Old 12-17-2010, 09:21 PM
Brucechas
Rennlist Member

Great post.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:22 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is great. Very few internal engine pictures of these cars out there.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:43 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Thanks Craig, I am starting on another engine rebuild if you have any specific area picture request.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:35 AM
twsarch
Cruisin'

Doing another one? Great! I wouldn’t mind seeing more photos of the cam timing items especially the vario cam stuff. Perhaps some of the “exterior” items like the intake and injection.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:51 PM
Abby Normal
In Your Face, Ace
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Nicely done! Very inspiring as I dive into my 986 build.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:49 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Here are some pictures of my rebuild a few years back.

mike
https://picasaweb.google.com/txhokie...eat=directlink

Quick Reply: 3.2 - 3.6 build pictures