Sponsored by:

Recent Coolant Flush

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 12:53 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,724 Likes on 1,071 Posts
Default Recent Coolant Flush

I recently drained and flushed the coolant as per the Pelican article found here: http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...ATER-Flush.htm

I used Peak Global Lifetime Prediluted 50/50 (which my research reveled to be a suitable alternative to the overpriced Genuine Porsche coolant).

The only issue that I had was that I refilled only 4 gallons of coolant, and so now I'm wondering if there is still 1.65 gallons of old stuff still in the system? A search online reveals different capacities, ranging from 4-6 gallons.

Does anyone know exactly how much coolant my Boxster S takes? And do I need to re-flush to get the old coolant out? Finally, should I put in any additives as the Pelican article recommends?
Old 09-13-2010, 02:03 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
I recently drained and flushed the coolant as per the Pelican article found here: http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...ATER-Flush.htm

I used Peak Global Lifetime Prediluted 50/50 (which my research reveled to be a suitable alternative to the overpriced Genuine Porsche coolant).

The only issue that I had was that I refilled only 4 gallons of coolant, and so now I'm wondering if there is still 1.65 gallons of old stuff still in the system? A search online reveals different capacities, ranging from 4-6 gallons.

Does anyone know exactly how much coolant my Boxster S takes? And do I need to re-flush to get the old coolant out? Finally, should I put in any additives as the Pelican article recommends?
Bentley manual gives 4.5 gallons for '97 to '02 Boxsters, with no distinction made 2.5l, 2.7l and 3.2l engines.

2003 and 2004 Boxsters hold 4.76 gallons (manual) while a Tip equipped car holds 5.02 gallons.

2003 and 2004 S's hold 5.81 gallons or 6.08 gallons (manual and Tip in that order).

There should be no reason to run any additive in the coolant. Porsche requires no additive for its anti-freeze.

If the anti-freeze you selected needs an additive to help it perform its function perhaps you need to reconsider your decision to not using using Porsche anti-freeze for something with less capabilities.

Since in most cars the coolant gets changed very infrequently (if ever) switching to a different anti-freeze to save a few bucks and then spending the next 3 to 6 years worrying if one made the right decision seems a might pecullar to me.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:04 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,724 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
Bentley manual gives 4.5 gallons for '97 to '02 Boxsters, with no distinction made 2.5l, 2.7l and 3.2l engines.

2003 and 2004 Boxsters hold 4.76 gallons (manual) while a Tip equipped car holds 5.02 gallons.

2003 and 2004 S's hold 5.81 gallons or 6.08 gallons (manual and Tip in that order).

There should be no reason to run any additive in the coolant. Porsche requires no additive for its anti-freeze.

If the anti-freeze you selected needs an additive to help it perform its function perhaps you need to reconsider your decision to not using using Porsche anti-freeze for something with less capabilities.

Since in most cars the coolant gets changed very infrequently (if ever) switching to a different anti-freeze to save a few bucks and then spending the next 3 to 6 years worrying if one made the right decision seems a might pecullar to me.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Thanks, Macster - I should have known you would be the first to respond, and to provide the numbers that were hard to find .

Correct, the coolant that I used does not require an additive. The only reason why I asked is because the Pelican article commented that even the Porsche coolant could benefit from an additive and for various reasons.

I agree - for most cars, the coolant doesn't get changed often, but again, the Pelican article and other experts have said that even though coolant is labeled "lifetime," there are still components that wear out. They say that a flush can still be beneficial if the car is to remain in use for a number of decades.

I agree that saving a few bucks and then worrying about the coolant's capabilities is a questionable thing to do. I am confident that the Peak Global is equivalent to the Porsche coolant. My big concern was more about capacity issue I thought I had. But my 2000's 4.5 gallon capacity is very close to the 4 gallons that I replaced, so I feel much better about it.

Thanks for your excellent response, Macster
Old 09-14-2010, 12:00 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

You're welcome.
Old 09-14-2010, 05:42 PM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sometimes takes time to get all of the antifreeze in due to air pockets. At least that has been my experience. The last time I had a bad water pump it took weeks of adding a little coolant every time I filled up until it remained visible in the overflow tank.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:39 PM
harryrcb
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same here, I changed thermostat, leaked out about .5 gal and wound up putting in about 2 gal. Never could figure that one out. Point being it took about 1 week and a run at the track to get all the air out and has been fine ever since BTW I followed the bentley manual's instruction for bleeding
Old 09-17-2010, 12:28 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

One of these can make the flush easier.

http://www.autobarn.net/xxxw-uv-550000.html

Quick Reply: Recent Coolant Flush