Sponsored by:

New here and buying a 1997 Boxster

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 05:57 PM
Skydog287
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New here and buying a 1997 Boxster

Hi! New to the forums and hopefully a soon to be owner of a Porsche myself.

I just wanted to run this car by you more experienced Porsche owners as I've never owned a vehicle like this before.

I'm in the middle of a deal that I could still back out of involving a 1997 Porsche Boxster. I was worried about the year being older but when I went to take it for a test drive it looked like it just came out of the factory other than some minor things that I'll mention. Then when I actually took it for the test drive it drove like a dream, never driven something like it before and I fell in love with it.

He has been firm on $8,000 for it. It has 124k miles. He also put brand new tires and brakes on it. It seems to be about $800 over KBB but I haven't been able to find another Boxster in such good condition as his. Also I'm guessing the brand new tires and brakes make it worth it?

The only issues I'm aware of so far are the little flaps that you flip up for the mirrors on the visors are missing, the clip that holds the roll bar inserts (the little screen like thing you put on behind the seats on the roll bar) is missing on the driver side roll bar but the passenger side one is fully intact, and finally there is a key scratch on the passenger side. So I was wondering how much these things might cost? Mostly the "clip" that holds the roll bar insert.

Other than that the car seems flawless. I'm having him take it to my trusted mechanic over by me this week just to make sure everything is in working order. Only thing is the air bag light is on, but he said he took it in and it's being turned on by seat belt sensor. He claims his guy can reset it for $35.

So what do you guys say about this car? Is it worth it or am I making a mistake? Also are there any issues with this year I should be aware of?

Thank you,
Sky

Last edited by Skydog287; 09-06-2010 at 11:30 PM.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:42 PM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do some research...thankfully, there's plenty of it.

Here's a good start:
http://sites.google.com/site/mikefoc...oxsterwebpages

And here's another:
http://www.986faq.com/

Good luck to you!
Old 09-07-2010, 08:00 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts
Default $35 may turn the light off

And about $200-250 will fix if a problem exists with the contact/grounding of the seat belts with the alarm system....the airbag light. Common problem with the original parts.

New tires but are they proper tires for a sports car or passenger car tires?

Is your pre-purchase inspection being done by someone who really really knows Porsches?

The other problems are cheap or can be solved at a junk yard.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:01 PM
Skydog287
3rd Gear

Question

Thanks for the replies!

Turns out this car has the sports touring package which I guess increases the value about another 1k so now I'll be getting it slightly below KBB value.

I guess I could live with replacing the seat belt buckle for around $200 to get the air bag light to turn off, thanks for the heads up, I wasn't sure how much it might cost.

As for the tires they are 19" Cayman S tires I believe. He said they only have about 1k miles on em. Also he upgraded the brakes as well.

And for the pre-purchase inspection, this guy doesn't know as much as I'd like him to know about Porsches so I'm looking for another mechanic that specializes in Porsche. I still had him take a look at it though and he said that it looks like everything is perfect, the only issues he had was he wasn't sure about one; the rpms when idling would start at about 800 to 900, then shoot up to 1000, and slowly drop back down to 800 to 900 again then repeat.

Then the second thing was he was waiting for the cooling fans to turn off after awhile of idling but they didn't seem to turn off, he wasn't sure if it was normal or not for this type of car to not have the cooling fans turn off while idling. I was wondering if it was due to being in Arizona with the hot sun? Not sure though..

So basically those two things is what I'm trying to find answers on now. He just wasn't sure if those were normal things for a Porsche Boxster to do.

So any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Sky

Update: Just got a hold of a Porsche Mechanic, he said the rpms thing was normal for a Porsche Boxster. But he did say the cooling fans should turn off when the A/C is off so that was a little bit of a concern..
Old 09-11-2010, 08:36 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Update: Just got a hold of a Porsche Mechanic, he said the rpms thing was normal for a Porsche Boxster......

Uh, no. Mine idles like a finely tuned sewing machine. No idle variation what so ever. Maybe you need to find another mechanic.

Where are you located?
Old 09-12-2010, 02:33 AM
Skydog287
3rd Gear

Yea I just test drove another newer Porsche Boxster and the rpms were perfectly still at around 900 I think while idling, so I think that mechanic might of been wrong as well. What would cause it the rpms to act like that while idling?

I'm located in Tucson, AZ.

Last edited by Skydog287; 09-12-2010 at 02:50 AM.
Old 09-12-2010, 03:14 AM
nosnow
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd be suspect if the cooling fans don't turn off and the mechanic says there isn't a problem with irratic idle. Time to go to someone who knows these cars. Problematic idle and airbag light could be many things and a cooling issue.... owning a Porsche isn't cheap and if you buy one with out knowing what the problems are or what you are getting into you will probably not be happy.

as for price..

I paid 3600 for a 99 w/sport pkg with 136,000 miles. Needed brakes, tires, and ~1500 in body work. Of course I bought it in February when no one wants these.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:20 AM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Here's the Arizona directory for the PCA in your region.
Drop one of these guys an email and ask them who they would reccomend for a PPI. They'll be happy to help. (Don't worry if they look like a bunch of old codgers...;-) )

http://az.pca.org/contact.htm

The other option is to contact the dealer:

http://tucson.porschedealer.com/

They should do PPI's as well and typically charge 1 to 2 hours of labor for it...

These cars are somewhat unique and you should really get someone who is knowledgable about P cars and Boxsters specifically to help you assess the merits of any car you are contemplating purchasing. It will be the best $ you'll ever spend.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:27 PM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm trying to remember - the '97 came with 16" wheels standard, and 17" optional? If so, those 19" wheels/tires may knock the fillings out of your teeth.
Old 09-12-2010, 01:42 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Skydog287
Thanks for the replies!

Turns out this car has the sports touring package which I guess increases the value about another 1k so now I'll be getting it slightly below KBB value.

I guess I could live with replacing the seat belt buckle for around $200 to get the air bag light to turn off, thanks for the heads up, I wasn't sure how much it might cost.

As for the tires they are 19" Cayman S tires I believe. He said they only have about 1k miles on em. Also he upgraded the brakes as well.

And for the pre-purchase inspection, this guy doesn't know as much as I'd like him to know about Porsches so I'm looking for another mechanic that specializes in Porsche. I still had him take a look at it though and he said that it looks like everything is perfect, the only issues he had was he wasn't sure about one; the rpms when idling would start at about 800 to 900, then shoot up to 1000, and slowly drop back down to 800 to 900 again then repeat.

Then the second thing was he was waiting for the cooling fans to turn off after awhile of idling but they didn't seem to turn off, he wasn't sure if it was normal or not for this type of car to not have the cooling fans turn off while idling. I was wondering if it was due to being in Arizona with the hot sun? Not sure though..

So basically those two things is what I'm trying to find answers on now. He just wasn't sure if those were normal things for a Porsche Boxster to do.

So any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Sky

Update: Just got a hold of a Porsche Mechanic, he said the rpms thing was normal for a Porsche Boxster. But he did say the cooling fans should turn off when the A/C is off so that was a little bit of a concern..
Idle speed manual is 790 rpms (which due to tach differences can appear on the tach as 800 rpms). A Tip in either P or N should idle at 750 rpms. A Tip in D should idle at 790 rpms. With A/C rpms should be 800.

The tach showing the idle speed at 800 is maybe ok cause tach may not read just perfect, but even so starting at 800 and then shooting up to 1000 and back again is not normal. (A good tech and inspection will connect an OBD code reader/data viewer to car's OBD port and check idle speed. Going by the tach... heck the kid at the local grocery store who bags my milk and bread can check the idle speed with the car's tach.)

If the rpms at 800 and shooting up to 1000 and then down again that can be a symptom of a failing AOS. An AOS job at a dealer can run roughly $600 or more.

Radiator fans should come on when A/C switched on and should go off when A/C switched off.

Or with the A/C off the fans should come on at 212F and shut off at 205F. If the A/C off and the fans come on and don't go off then the question is is the coolant temp dropping or are the fans staying on even though the coolant temp is down to below 205F.

(Engine compartment fan comes on at 135F and uses a sensor located in the engine compartment IIRC located on an intake runner between cylinders 1 and 2.)

Either way I'd know the answer before I bought the car.

Not unknown for a Boxster to have been involved in a front end collosion and with damage to the radiators and such to be repaired in such way the fans don't work right. Another possibility is the wiring circuitry of the radiators is old, broken, etc.

Look inside the radiator ducts and see if both A/C condensors/radiators are teh same color, have the same patina, and the ducts have nearly the same level of trash. If you spot major differences in this area the car's been in a collision is my guess.

Lastly, IIRC 19" wheels/tires are *not* supported by Porsche on the pre-2000 cars. Starting in 2000 the cars received some changes to the chassis/running gear attachment points that supported the 19" wheels/tires and the bigger loads these subjected the car to.

My 02 came with 17" wheels/tires and I've driven a Cayman S with 18" wheels and my Turbo has 18" wheels and frankly/honestly 18" wheels is as big as I'd care to go.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: New here and buying a 1997 Boxster