Sponsored by:

Track Reliability questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 04:39 PM
5:04
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track Reliability questions

Hi guys, I'll be picking up a 986 in the next month that is replacing my Time Attack Miata. This car won't be anywhere near as modified as the Miata but I do plan on doing a couple of driving events a month in it. I've been doing my homework for the past couple of months and between talking to shops and reading online I'm a little worried. I know that people are more likely to post bad experiences that good experiences so I'm used to seeing blown up engines left and right. However this still has me really worried. My driving style naturally has a lot of mechanical empathy on the track so I won't be the driver that's overly rough on the car. I also change my oil after every track event or 2 auto-x's.

My question is are 986's that unreliable on the track? I've heard of the PS issues which I plan on getting a smaller pulley for, and the oiling which I plan on going with the x51 pan and eventually an Accusump. I won't be going to crazy with the engine mods, most of my modifications will be suspension and aero with bolt ons for the engine.

Do I need to be worried I'm going to blow an engine everything I roll onto the track. Wheel bearings etc don't bother me since I see those as normal maintenance items anyway.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:20 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by 5:04
Hi guys, I'll be picking up a 986 in the next month that is replacing my Time Attack Miata. This car won't be anywhere near as modified as the Miata but I do plan on doing a couple of driving events a month in it. I've been doing my homework for the past couple of months and between talking to shops and reading online I'm a little worried. I know that people are more likely to post bad experiences that good experiences so I'm used to seeing blown up engines left and right. However this still has me really worried. My driving style naturally has a lot of mechanical empathy on the track so I won't be the driver that's overly rough on the car. I also change my oil after every track event or 2 auto-x's.

My question is are 986's that unreliable on the track? I've heard of the PS issues which I plan on getting a smaller pulley for, and the oiling which I plan on going with the x51 pan and eventually an Accusump. I won't be going to crazy with the engine mods, most of my modifications will be suspension and aero with bolt ons for the engine.

Do I need to be worried I'm going to blow an engine everything I roll onto the track. Wheel bearings etc don't bother me since I see those as normal maintenance items anyway.
I don't track my 02 Boxster but I read posts by some who do, various model years, and the cars appear to be unaffected. One owner has IIRC over 150K miles on his car, a '99 IIRC, and tracks it frequently.

Are you talking about fitting a smaller power steering pulley to slow down the power steering pump or a a smaller crankshaft pulley to slow down everything? If the latter I'd be worried about reducing the flow of coolant through the radiators/engine. I can't go so far as to recommend fitting a lower temp thermostat but others recommend this. Might be worth exploring.

I like the idea of increase in oil capacity. And frequent oil/filter services a must.

As long as the cooling system integrity intact, no fluid leaks obviously, but no pressure leaks either which can be a bit harder to know they are present (cap leaking and a split tank (with the split above the coolant fluid level which lets pressure out but no fluid)) are at least two rather common problems, is of course important.

Another weak link is the AOS. Unless the car has had this replaced recently you might consider replacing it just to avoid the risk of it failing while you are on the track. While its failure not a real serious problem, for concern about the engine it is best if the AOS is suspected to avoid running the engine until the AOS eliminated as a source of the symptoms or replaced if it is the source.

A more expensive action on your part is to consider fitting or having fitted an aftermarket intermediate shaft bearing as preventative action to at least remove the factory bearing which is a weak link in the engine.

If you do or don't though there is still a small risk the engine will well, fail. Depends upon the engine's condition, which is based on no small part how it it has been used and serviced. But engine longevity is also a matter of luck.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:17 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 662 Likes on 357 Posts

I have 81k miles on my 986 S. I bought it with 62k miles and have done probably 10 track days with it since. Never a hiccup and I drive it hard. I'm budgeting for an engine upgrade if/when the engine grenades, but am not worried about it happening any time soon. This car seems to be bullet proof.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:24 PM
aeshultz
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

5:04;
You might want to search over on the Racing/DE forum - a lot of guys track/race Boxsters, and there's lots of good info there.
That being said - NOTHING, and I mean _nothing_ will be a cheap and reliable to track as a Miata (I've had two).
Old 07-26-2010, 12:41 AM
mdkelly1
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 55 Posts

+1 on the IMS bearing retrofit.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:37 AM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 134 Posts

I have a Cayman and have experienced the P/S issues. This problem doesn't seem to appear until you run R comp tires and enough negative camber to make them work. The underdrive pulley helps but many are also installing a cooler in the low pressure side. I've been tracking for 3 years and have not had any oiling issues yet. From what I've read this seems to occur on long high G LH turns. I do plan to add a deep sump and baffle. A friend with a heavily tracked 986 recently lost an engine, cause of failure was unknown whenI last talked to him. The vehicle had 90+ K miles on it.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:30 AM
harryrcb
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

hi guys, I have an 04 S and tracking it for 2years, I run it HARD! thats what you are supposed to do to have fun anyway. Just put cup tires on and the AO seperator reared its ugly head pulling the extra G's so I purchased the Motorsports Cup Air - Oil Separator from Suncoast (great bunch of guys) the deep sump from LN Engineering and I just burned out one of the belt pulleys so I replaced all three and bought the underdrive crank pully, I'm just comming up on 50k and hope I will be one of the lucky ones that does not need an IMS bearing but who knows, I will probably put that on with a lighter flywheel when my clutch burns out again. replaced it 10k ago. I also put on the 160 thermostat hopefully this will help with the overall situation and Im in the process of getting my headers ceramic coated to try to keep engine compartment heat down. I did have to replace the motor mount at 40k but I attribute that to the 11" wheels I'm running on the back. wheel brngs are holding up so far. and if it all blows up, then I will have a good excuse to put that big 977 S motor in.
good luck with yours just change the oil more often than the manual tells you and make sure you dont skimp on the oil . So what Im trying to say is dont worry be happy.. the car is really tough and it takes all the abuse of DE's and AX HAVE FUN

Quick Reply: Track Reliability questions