Sponsored by:

Wounded Boxster

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 05:55 PM
TheDarkYak
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Wounded Boxster

I've had my 01 boxster S for about 4 months now, and already she has been wounded. The damage might not seem bad to some, but it was absolutely heartbreaking to see.

I had parked it at my workspace, and began my day as usual, when one of my co-workers, who arrived late as usual mad the comment "What did you do to your car?"

I thought he was messing with me, as usually is the case, but I had to look. Lo & Behold, someone had run into my car in the parking lot. No one saw anything & no one would admit to anything, but I have a pretty good idea who it was. We've had an Electric company (Sodd Electric Co) working on the wiring in the building all morning, and I measured the height of their rear bumper & trailer hitch receiver from the ground, and it is the perfect culprit. Of course they wouldn't admit anything. Who wants their boss to find out they ran into a parked Porsche in a company vehicle?!

Anyways, never use Sodd Electric. They are Bastards!!

It left a black mark, cracked the nose, the grill for the left side radiatoris cracked, the ductwork for the leftside radiator is cracked, the center grill is cracked, and the plastic undertray underneath the radiators. Left a huge scuff on the top of the nose, tore off part of the clear rock shield, and warped the nose where it is hanging slightly lower, and pushed away from the fender lining on the left side.

My insurance company wanted me to take the car to a place here in Dallas called Caliber Collision. They quoted me $1800 worth of damage on my uninsured motorist, but they are fighting with me on covering the damage to the undertray. They claim that came from scraping on inclines. I know that's BS! It has been scraped a few times, but the hanging bits didn't happen until the collision!

Anyways, I don't think Caliber will be doing the repairs. I've never heard of these guys. I'm going to take it to the Stealership to see what numbers they come up with. Any thoughts on a good shop to do the repairs in or near Dallas?

Also, the paint is Meridian Metallic, and I'm slightly concerned about a non-Porsche place trying to match that color.

Any thoughts? Condolences?
Attached Images      
Old 07-14-2010, 05:59 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Any video surveillance to prove who did it?
Old 07-14-2010, 06:11 PM
TheDarkYak
Intermediate

Hell no! Sadly, we have no surveillance cameras at my workplace, nor at the place next door. The reason the electric guys were here in the first place is that someone came & stole about 4,000 feet of Copper wire off of the roof a week ago. We've been running on generators. No video of that either...
Old 07-14-2010, 08:07 PM
budmanv24
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jesus, where in dallas do you work so I can stay away? The BEST place to get body work done in Dallas is Stuart's. It's not cheap but they do good work and stand behind it. Pretty much only work on ferarri's, lambo's, p-cars, etc. Next runner up is Best in Show. Both of them are right around the corner from each other in garland.n Was there any paint from your car on their trailer?
Old 07-14-2010, 09:13 PM
TheDarkYak
Intermediate

I actually work close to Northwest Highway just West of Loop 12. Yeah, if you've been there you know what I'm talking about. Not a nice neighborhood at all. Gets kinda scary there after dark sometimes. There is the print shop that I work at, and other than that, mostly liquor stores, topless bars, "massage parlors", adult movie places, homeless people & prostitutes. Always an adventure!

I don't think it was an actual trailer that hit me. The crack on the nose is the same height as the receiver for their trailer hitch. Even got some black rubber around the crack. Their hitch receiver has a black rubber grommet like thing around it. They have chrome rear bumpers that are the same height as the scuffs on the top of the nose, and with the clear rock gaurd on my car, I guess it kept any paint from transferring. I noticed that their bumpers were covered with dust except for one spot on the underside. Hmmm.... Guess it doesn't really prove anything, but you be the judge. They acted a bit strange when I asked them if they saw someone hit my car.

I can understand why it happened. With as low as my car sits, it's kinda hard to see if you are in a pickup, backing up, but still... Would have been nice to know that there are still some decent people who would have owned up to it, but I guess I have to expect this kind of stuff.

I keep telling myself "It could have been worse". At least it didn't touch the hood, fenders, or radiators.

I may head out to Garland to check out Stuarts. I think I remember driving by there a few times before. Right off Plano Road close to 635? Think I remember always seeing a fearri 355 in various states of body damage there. Could swear it was always the same one!
Old 07-16-2010, 12:02 AM
budmanv24
Instructor

Yep, that's it. Look at google street view. There's 4 p-cars sitting out front. Must of been during the middle of the day so they had more room in the shop since they keep all the cars inside at night.
Old 07-17-2010, 08:56 AM
michaelhofastcar
Intermediate

I would like to offer my condolences. Must be heartbroken. Hope the repair shop will do a good job and it will get back on the road soon.
Old 07-17-2010, 02:22 PM
Arick
Track Day

The same happened to me in front of my eyes when I had my 944 convertible...
Not a pleasant experience...
Maybe you could B.S. them saying that one of your coworkers has a picture or video on his cell phone?? That might push them into admitting their act??
Old 07-17-2010, 04:44 PM
amondc
Burning Brakes

Take it to stuarts. Boardwalk uses them and they are the best around
Old 09-13-2010, 06:46 PM
TheDarkYak
Intermediate

Well, after a lengthy battle with my insurance co. (which I lost), I finally got my car in the shop. I went with Stuart's. Chris over there was really cool, and the work they had on hand looked really good! The old Dino race car in their reception area was pretty awesome too! For 200 extra bones I'm throwing in, they are going to touch up the rock chips on the hood & give it a good detailing. Can't wait to see it finished.

After pulling the bumper off, they discovered that one of the radiators had been bent back into the car as well. Damage estimate went up to about $3500.00. That's not including the undertray damage that they refuse to pay for. Ouch! I know my insurance is going to try & jack my rates after this is all said & done.

Car should be finished by the end of the week. Can't wait to get out of the rental - a Chrysler 300. The rental car could have been worse, but the suspension on that thing is far beyond soft. You can feel the car sway slightly back & forth when the windscreen wipers are on full speed! No Lie! Why would they build a car like that? It does make smooth sailing on the war torn, pot-hole ravaged roads in Dallas, though it feels like an ocean boat pitching & yawing as it plows past all of the frightened pedestrians. I'm sure that they can sense the unpredictable handeling characteristics of my temporary steed. Really, if the car had a Hemi(or at least twin turbos or a supercharger), stiffer springs, and did away with the cheesy chrome plated plastic interior bits, it wouldn't bee too bad of a car for what it is. maybe with a proper manual gearbox & quicker ratio steering that provided some sense of feedback... I can't wait to get the Porsche back!

I'll have to post some pics of Stuarts work when I get it back.

Quick Reply: Wounded Boxster