Sponsored by:

Engine removal/replacement on 2003 Boxter

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 08:55 AM
Michael Everson
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine removal/replacement on 2003 Boxter

I am new to the Porsche world but not to high performance cars. I currently drive a 2007 Z06 and my daily driver is a 2006 Dodge Magnum SRT8

I am considering buying a 2003 Boxter with 24K miles that has a damaged engine. I was told by the owner that the Intermediate shaft failed.
How hard is it to remove and replace the engine? Is the engine serviceable or should it just be replaced? The owner is asking $10,000 for the car.
I am pretty mechanically inclined. I have built about 26 Replicas and done lots of engine work I even have 2 lifts in my garage. Is this a good DIY project?
Thanks Mike
Old 03-05-2010, 11:56 AM
GTA_G20
Racer

The Labour isnt the issue, the replacement motor is. He's asking too much for the shell. By the time you find a new transplant the cost of that+the shell will be near the price of a running boxster in my opinion
Old 03-05-2010, 12:28 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Everson
I am new to the Porsche world but not to high performance cars. I currently drive a 2007 Z06 and my daily driver is a 2006 Dodge Magnum SRT8

I am considering buying a 2003 Boxter with 24K miles that has a damaged engine. I was told by the owner that the Intermediate shaft failed.
How hard is it to remove and replace the engine? Is the engine serviceable or should it just be replaced? The owner is asking $10,000 for the car.
I am pretty mechanically inclined. I have built about 26 Replicas and done lots of engine work I even have 2 lifts in my garage. Is this a good DIY project?
Thanks Mike
GTA_G20 is right. Price too high for non-running Boxster with "blown" engine.

Call local Porsche dealer and get quote on factory replacement engine cost and labor. Ask how many hours.

At the upper end, this establishes the cost of making the car whole again, though with a dead engine you can't test drive the car and know if something else needs atttention. Like maybe the transmission. So there is some risk that the car needs more than just the engine replaced.

Anyhow price similar cars and keeping in mind the prices you will come across are asking prices and not seling prices subtract from the average (or whatever number you come up with) the cost of a new engine with all work done by the dealer.

This is the car's value as it sits, though you should be as sure as you can be the rest of the car is in good shape.

I've never done it but others tell me dropping an engine is not too much work. If you have reasonable mechanical skills, proper lifts, and a second pair of hands, I think you could have the old engine out in less than a day's time, 8 hours. If factory engine going back in then as soon as you get the old engine out and whatever hardware switched from the old engine to the new engine, the installation of the new engine's just the reverse of the old engine's removal.

'course, while you have the engine out you want to check hoses and engine mounts. Might as refresh those if they need it. Also, don't try to save old exhaust fastener hardware just figure on replacing this with new.

Another course of action is to replace the engine with one sourced from a salvaged car. This can work if you get a good engine.

You can replace the bad engine with an identical one or you can install a larger engine from a 996. This brings with it complications that have been overcome by others.

Frankly, with the engine not working if you don't get the car for a good price the deal's not worth the trouble. Let the seller fix the car or let the seller find some other buyer.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 03-05-2010, 04:28 PM
mts
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts

If you've built a bunch of replicas and done some engine work this would probably be a fun project for you. I agree with the others though that the price is a little high with a damaged motor. If the IMS went there is likely too much damage to consider anything but a replacement motor. If you can source a good used motor at a good price perhpas its worth doing. I would definitely consider a 996 motor if you take it on.
Old 03-06-2010, 12:46 AM
FilthyF14
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts

local shop recently bought a Boxster with a destroyed motor from the owner for $5000 - but believe it was a 2000. Could install a new engine, with your labor, and still be under the value of the car.
Old 03-06-2010, 11:57 PM
00r101
Racer

That price is outrageous. You can buy a running 2003 for $15K easily. The motor replacement is going to be $4-$10K even doing it yourself. Run away.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:34 AM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

Check out flat6innovations.com. Jake Raby has a class for those with the ability to do the repairs to the existing engine, or you can ship him your engine and he will do the repairs. If you do the repairs you will need a few specials tools, but I believe he will rent them to you. IT is cheaper than a Porsche replacement engine, particularly if you can do some or all of the work, and you will no longer have such an unreliable IMS shaft. sounds like you have the ability and space to take it on.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:30 PM
Ruby13
Track Day

I purchased my '03 for $17M March '09 with 45M miles. Thankfully the RMS starting leaking under warranty and dealer paid for RMS and IMS. Took it as opportunity to relace clutch and flywheel that were pretty worn when puled at 55M miles. As stated seems a bit high considering you don't know what else might be wrong. These are not cheap cars to fix so err on the right side.
BTW, great car that I love to death.

Quick Reply: Engine removal/replacement on 2003 Boxter