Sponsored by:

New Member Needs Buying Advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 02:42 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by LTCB
Made it back to the states a couple of days ago, and am heading to Albuquerque to look at the 2005 tomorrow.

One thing new -- the car has 2010 Boxster S 18" wheels on it, rather than the originals -- and they are not 19"s as advertised.

I am actually OK with 18" wheels for both ride and tire cost considerations. But how/why does a 2005 end up with 2010 wheels? A question I will have to ask.

I assume the original wheels had a lot of curb rash, and the dealer swapped them out. Maybe the dealer had the 2010s on hand after someone had dealer installed 19"s put on a new one.

The car is a CPO -- and the 2 years starts when purchased.
One thing that pops into my mind when I find a car for sale with wheels the car didn't come with originally and seller doesn't have original wheels that go with the car, is the car was involved in an accident and new wheels the dealer had handy from a take off made their way onto the car.

Sure, car is CPO but car could have still had some heavy accident damage repairs. CPO stands for certified probably ok....

Be sure you get car PPId with this in mind.

Unless dealer/seller has paperwork showing this done I'd want an alignment done before I agreed to buy the car. Even if original wheels replaced because of curb rash all that banging the wheels around can't have made the alignment any better, only worse.

Alignment tells you too -- get *before* and *after* printouts -- if tech had to use lots of adjustment to bring car into spec. If he did then this could be a sign car in accident and "frame" not straight.

Still, in spite of the rather gloomy cast to the above, I think you are gettng close to getting a good car.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 01-10-2010, 02:56 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a wheel question that is not directly related to the car in question.

Can a Porsche dealer sell a car CPO that does not have Porsche factory wheels mounted?

Phil
Old 01-10-2010, 07:48 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by RollingArt
I have a wheel question that is not directly related to the car in question.

Can a Porsche dealer sell a car CPO that does not have Porsche factory wheels mounted?

Phil
I'll have to check my CPO paperwork but I don't recall any restriction on the type of wheel, brand of wheel.

Tires IIRC want to be in good condition, N-rated, all the same brand, type, etc., and not too old. (My 03 Turbo received new tires -- 18" Continentals -- just before I bought it cause the original tires were over 6 years old.)

As long as the wheels are the right size, width, etc., or have acceptable values for these and possibly other dimensions, specifications, and aren't damaged and have an acceptable appearance I bet non-OEM tires would be allowed.

If the presence of the wheels bothers you, you might push to have them swapped out. Dealers sometimes have sets of wheels laying around or will even switch wheels/tires between cars as long as the wheels that are leaving your car (or what might prove to be your car) aren't crap or somehow inappropriate for the other car. And you want to be sure the same holds true for the wheels that are going to be put on your car.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:37 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,587 Likes on 991 Posts

Made it back to the states a couple of days ago, and am heading to Albuquerque to look at the 2005 tomorrow.
Welcome and Good luck tomorrow! The general wisdom is to "Buy the newest Porsche you can afford," so I think you're on the right track
Old 01-12-2010, 12:01 AM
LTCB
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The dealer assured me that they could not CPO a car with aftermarket wheels -- which is why my "new" 2005 porsche has 2010 rims on it!

They had to replace an aftermarket set -- so my car got brand new rims and tires as part of the CPO process.

So -- I bought the car today, and drove it back to Colorado Springs. I was somewhat worried about flying out there, and feeling "pot committed" -- but the car was absolutely phenomenal -- almost flawless. Full two year warranty with the post 2008 "same as new car" provisions.

I even got a little off the price. Drove it out at 30500 (excluding tax.) Maybe a little high for the market, but it was the car I wanted, and in better condition than any other car I have looked at in the past two years.

Pictures to follow!

Thanks for all the input.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:13 AM
Macster
Race Director

The dealer assured me that they could not CPO a car with aftermarket wheels -- which is why my "new" 2005 porsche has 2010 rims on it!

They had to replace an aftermarket set -- so my car got brand new rims and tires as part of the CPO process.

So -- I bought the car today, and drove it back to Colorado Springs. I was somewhat worried about flying out there, and feeling "pot committed" -- but the car was absolutely phenomenal -- almost flawless. Full two year warranty with the post 2008 "same as new car" provisions.

I even got a little off the price. Drove it out at 30500 (excluding tax.) Maybe a little high for the market, but it was the car I wanted, and in better condition than any other car I have looked at in the past two years.

Pictures to follow!

Never got around to digging out my CPO paperwork. Your post saved me the trouble. Nice to know no aftermarket wheels accepted for CPO car. Makes sense, I guess, in hindsight. No way Porsche can assume responsibiity for any and all aftermarket wheels so the safe course is to assume responsibilty for none of them.

Sounds like you picked up a nice car, the right car for you. Never look back on a car's price or the deal you made for a car.

After I buy a car I avoid posts with discussion of prices for similar cars.

Everyone always knows of a better deal but seldom does this pan out when one digs a bit deeper.

Enjoy the car.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:04 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,587 Likes on 991 Posts

So -- I bought the car today...
Congrats, and welcome! Good job on the research, I'm sure it paid off
Old 01-14-2010, 01:28 PM
941MXVET
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have fun on your drive home!

Can't wait for the pics!
Old 01-21-2010, 06:27 AM
Stephen Porter
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good choice. Use that warranty! Take it in and have any and everything you/they can find done. Do the same just before it runs out.

Pictures to follow!

Old 03-23-2010, 02:43 PM
UK2
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Congrats.....welcome

Quick Reply: New Member Needs Buying Advice