Sponsored by:

Joining the Boxster Club!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 10:42 AM
racerxlilbro
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
Brad, those wheels look great! I'm wondering if my car is also Lapis Blue? Does it sometimes look green or purple depending on the lighting?

I'm envious that you have the climate to drop the top. I'm in Chicago and only dropped it once for inspection of the engine and to ensure operation before I bought it. Now I have to wait for a special day
murphyslaw1978 - I'm fairly certain our cars are the same color. Mine definitely changes with the sunlight. The weather in LA was gorgeous this past weekend. We had a birthday party for my 5-year old son, and it was 75 degrees, and partly cloudy.

Thanks regarding the wheels! I bought them off Tire Rack (I think I mentioned that earlier in the thread). The fronts were on closeout at $99 a piece, I believe. Incredible! So, now I have the original 17's with the Sumitomo HTR ZIIIs for track days, and the 19s with the Yokohama S-drives for profiling!

I couldn't make the top go up and down, until a quick search here, or on another Boxster forum showed me how to get the park brake switch to come back to life. Problem solved - cost $0.00.

Oh, and speaking of the birthday boy - one of his birthday wishes was to go for a ride in Daddy's Porsche. So, I used the little airbag disable buckle dealio, and strapped his booster into the passenger seat. We put the top down, cranked up the heater, and went blasting down the road with him pumping his fists in the air. PRICELESS!!!
Old 12-21-2009, 01:38 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,757 Likes on 1,093 Posts

Originally Posted by racerxlilbro
...strapped his booster into the passenger seat. We put the top down, cranked up the heater, and went blasting down the road with him pumping his fists in the air. PRICELESS!!!
Sweet! I can't wait to have kids and get boosters for my P-car! What an experience that must have been for the little guy.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:54 PM
cobra2top
Track Day

Oh, and speaking of the birthday boy - one of his birthday wishes was to go for a ride in Daddy's Porsche. So, I used the little airbag disable buckle dealio, and strapped his booster into the passenger seat. We put the top down, cranked up the heater, and went blasting down the road with him pumping his fists in the air. PRICELESS!!!
Racer....thinking of the Boxster purchase. I have been 911 shopping for a while and not finding anything in the budget for a weekend warrior. Thinking 911 cab or Targa since I also have a 5 yr old son who LOVES driving in Daddy's "cool car" (a Mustang 5.0 vert) and need a rear seat for those times he joins in on the fun.

Long story short, friend who manages a Lexus dealership just took a trade in on a 97 Boxster, 28K miles and loaded. Silver with the red interior. Wants my 5.0 for himself and putting together a pretty interesting offer to take my 5.0 and I get the Boxster. Have not thought much on the Boxster due to the kid and rear seat issue but this deal may be too good to pass up.

Any issue with the 5 yr old up front? Anyone give you strange looks?? My concern is that I will look like that "bad dad" as other mom's in their minivans look down on us and he is sporting in the front seat. It will not be every day as this will be a weekend toy but sitting in line for pre-school pick up on a nice spring day, wonder if the mom's in line will be giving me the "what is he thinking" look.

Anyway, LOVE THE RIMS. My guy is bringing home the Boxster Wednesday and letting me play with it for the day. Smart salesman, he knows a few hours playing around town should seal the deal. I clicked over to Tirerack and see the same package for next to nothing. Mine would be artic silver and think your rims would look SWEET with silver!!!

Good luck with your new ride!!
Old 12-22-2009, 11:04 AM
racerxlilbro
Intermediate

Any issue with the 5 yr old up front? Anyone give you strange looks?? My concern is that I will look like that "bad dad" as other mom's in their minivans look down on us and he is sporting in the front seat. It will not be every day as this will be a weekend toy but sitting in line for pre-school pick up on a nice spring day, wonder if the mom's in line will be giving me the "what is he thinking" look.
Cobra2top - First of all, if you follow some reasonable precautions, who gives a damn what the stepford Moms think of you? In my Boxster, there is a seat belt receptacle under the front of the passenger seat. The PO of my car had gone and purchased the corresponding buckle that, once plugged into said receptacle, deactivates the passenger airbag. I put him in his booster so the belt went across his chest, instead of going over his neck, and snugged up the lap portion. Is it as safe as the back seat of my Navigator? Probably not. But, it was just fine, and he loved it. You may have a difficult time finding a booster that will fit squarely between the bolsters of the bottom cushion, too...

As for the Boxster v. Mustang issue - I have (now) had both: actually 5 Mustangs - currently a '65 Coupe being done restomod (but, that's another forum! ). The Boxster is probably the best handling car I've ever driven. And, that includes my Formula Ford. It's got stupid grip, and is just a blast to drive. The downside is (I'm afraid) the cost of maintanence and repairs. It's also nowhere near as torquey as the Pony. So, my advice is - if you love the Boxster, don't need a back seat, and can afford to keep it on the road, go for it. Your son will think you're the coolest Dad, EVER!
Old 12-22-2009, 12:10 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,757 Likes on 1,093 Posts

Originally Posted by cobra2top
...Any issue with the 5 yr old up front?...
With the proper seat and 5 minutes of research, it is a non-issue.

...Anyone give you strange looks??...
Owning a p-car will always result in some strange looks

...My concern is that I will look like that "bad dad"...
Don't be concerned with strangers (who don't know you) concerns. Only worry about the safety & needs of your child, and you won't have to worry about this.

...wonder if the mom's in line will be giving me the "what is he thinking" look...
Like I said, you'll always get some looks with a Porsche. For every Mom that is disgusted by it, there will be another who might be turned on by it. Men and their cars are like women and their shoes. Just because I don't understand all the rage with Jimmy Choo doesn't mean I have the right to give women dirty looks when they wear them.
Old 12-23-2009, 12:54 AM
cobra2top
Track Day

Well said Murphy and Racer. It will not be a daily driver for me so the time he is in it will be limited. Well, let's just say I dont plan on a daily but after reading the post here it may be tough to keep it in the garage.

Also agree with the maintainence. It will be more then a Ford but expected!! I need to find a local shop here in South Jersey to keep up with it. The PO took it to a Porsche dealer for all maintainence since it was new so that is a good thing. I dont know if I want to pay the Porsche dealer mark ups to keep up with the dealer history. I also keep reading about the engine failure and this car has 28K in 12 years so it sounds like I could still be in the grey area. That is my only fear with it, having to replace a motor down the road. I guess it is a small number so hope my luck is good!

Anyway, sorry for the highjack of this thread. I see the car tomorrow and will start a new thread with feedback.
Old 12-31-2009, 04:58 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

..Also, it's got the hard top on, and the latch nearest my left ear (even though it seems to be down and locked) is squeaking like there's no tomorrow. I'm going to take the hard top off, and re install it to see if that makes a difference..
Did you ever get this fixed? Each latch area has a triangular cover that can be popped off to see the mechanism...yours might need an adjustment. Basically you unscrew the latch and move it up a little in the top, which will pull the top down tighter on the car once it's installed. It may take a try or two to get it right as it's tough to do with the top on.

That's all I got...congrats on the new car.
Old 01-01-2010, 02:42 PM
racerxlilbro
Intermediate

Thanks for the tip! Right now, the hard top is being stowed in my race trailer. I'll go take a look. I think there's something rattling around in the driver's door. Putting the Gummi Pflege on all the seals helped a lot in toning down the squeaking. But, it's definitely still there.

I just leave the top down, and drive faster. Or, I ride around in the first 3 gears to make my own soundtrack. Oh yeah!
Old 01-01-2010, 02:58 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Sweet.

Quick Reply: Joining the Boxster Club!