Sponsored by:

P Code Help please

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 05:22 PM
RemSteele
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post P Code Help please

I'm anew kid on the block. First Porsche 02 Boxster 70K, 6 months. Check engine light came on. Auto Zone read the codes. P0410 secondary Air injection system malfunction & P1411 Manufacturer Control Auxiliary emission controls. I had the light reset and it has no come back on today. I have receipts where the car was service. Is this anything that needs to be looked at right away?

Thanks,
New Kid on the block
Old 07-03-2009, 07:30 PM
seafeye
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Can you clear the codes? and does it come back on?
Old 07-03-2009, 08:56 PM
RemSteele
AutoX

Thanks for the response. I was able to clear the codes today and so far they have not returned. I also took out my newly purchased Bently service manual and located a picture of the secondary air injection system. When I get a code what part ot thr system isn't working? Also although it takes me 30 minutes just to see my engine :-) Is this something I should tackle?

Thanks for you time,
RJ
Old 07-03-2009, 08:57 PM
RemSteele
AutoX

Thanks for the response. I was able to clear the codes today and so far they have not returned. I also took out my newly purchased Bently service manual and located a picture of the secondary air injection system. When I get a code what part ot thr system isn't working? Also although it takes me 30 minutes just to see my engine :-) Is this something I should tackle?

Thanks for your time,
RJ
Old 07-03-2009, 10:42 PM
Turboflyer
Pro

69K. First code for 1411. Cleared and will wait and see if it pops back up. I would think as long as you clear it and drive 50 miles and do not have to let it get cold for a smog check the worst thing that could happen is an annoying light. Unless of course you want to be blamed for the car that caused global warming. Oh thats right things are actually getting colder. Never mind.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:25 PM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These are pretty common faults... usually due to a leak in the vacuum system. First however I would make sure your secondary air pump is turning on and is functional. If that's good you're going to need a vacuum tester to see whats leaking. The early cars have a vacuum operated change over valve on the hose from the air pump to the head that would fail a lot but they got rid of that I think by MY02. You'll want to check the vacuum reservoir and if its a tip check the vacuum operated coolant valve on the transmission. Both are pretty much known to fail and leaks there will cause the faults you have.
Old 07-04-2009, 09:11 PM
RemSteele
AutoX

Thanks. The light came back on today and I have the same codes. Is there an easy way to check the pump? Or am I in over my head. The shop that has done most of the service is very good. This should be routine for them. I see so info on the web of 8-9K for replacement of the secondary injection system.

Thanks,
RJ
Old 07-05-2009, 12:53 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

May want to read this
as it provides a flowchart on how to diagnose the cause
http://mike.focke.googlepages.com/ch...sairflowsensor
Old 07-05-2009, 08:24 PM
RemSteele
AutoX

Thanks. This seems very helpful. I need to make some decisions, I did get the Boxster Service book. I need to invest in a code reader or the software for my laptop. I have my BMW guy who is a little slow to work on the Boxster. So I may be on my own. I will wait for the response from the shop that has done work on the car before I was the owner.

Thanks again for your time, this is a great site.
RJ
Attached Images  
Old 07-07-2009, 11:00 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts
Default Some owners who get this just replace secondary air injection hardware....

Originally Posted by RemSteele
I'm anew kid on the block. First Porsche 02 Boxster 70K, 6 months. Check engine light came on. Auto Zone read the codes. P0410 secondary Air injection system malfunction & P1411 Manufacturer Control Auxiliary emission controls. I had the light reset and it has no come back on today. I have receipts where the car was service. Is this anything that needs to be looked at right away?

Thanks,
New Kid on the block
like valves/switches/etc. IIRC you're looking at around $100 in parts. Do not know effort required to replace. A good home auto mechanic could do the job.

If air pump working no need to replace that. If air pump *not* working that needs to be dealt with before other things. When engine first started cold -- after sitting all night -- air pump should come on and run for 30 to 60 seconds.

You can hear it... Sounds like hoover vacuum cleaner running in distance. Roll down windows before you start engine.

If air pump not running it may not be cold enough to trigger it on. I don't have info which details this handy but you'd want to make sure that ambient temperature not the cause air pump not being switched on.

Check here for more info:

http://mike.focke.googlepages.com/mi...oxsterwebpages

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-11-2009, 08:10 PM
RemSteele
AutoX

Thanks for all the help. I dropped it off at Body Motion this afternoon. I will update later. My first car that I can't work on, a little concern.

Thanks again,
RJ

Quick Reply: P Code Help please