Sponsored by:

Confused

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 01:14 PM
Ipecac
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by graham964
I am thinking about buying one or the other. My problem is that the power and weight are very similar giving I would have thought similar performance but my budget will only buy a 120k mile plus 20 year old 964 or alternatively a 70K mile 6 year old boxster s.
I guess the boxster is a newer design but does the 964 do something better whch compensates for the greater milage and age?

Thanks in advance for any comments

cheers

Graham
Hi Graham -- I've never owned a 911 of any vintage but have driven a few models (993 and 996, not a 964) on the street. But these aren't good test drives.

However, I have owned a 2000 Boxster S for 2.5 years now. I bought a Boxster S (skip the non-S's, Graham) because a long-time Porsche owner suggested I try it first, before putting down serious money for a 911, to see if I like the whole "sports car" thing. It is my daily driver, and is a very forgiving, comfortable and easy car to drive to work with all the modern amenities. I also attend local track days, and it is a very capable track car. It will take me years to outgrow its potential. And frankly, the engine is in the right place. [Ruh roh... here come the flames... ]

The crazy thing is, Graham, this purchase was meant to be an interim car whilst waiting for a 911. I'm not so sure I'm in any hurry to buy a 911 right now. I've even been given the green light by my wife to buy a 911 for the two additional seats (we have two teenage kids) for quick (and cramped) in-city trips. I know, I'm a lucky guy But for now, I am extremely pleased.

Good luck Graham. Please let us know what you end up purchasing!

Jonn
Old 05-24-2009, 01:16 PM
Ipecac
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by graham964
I am thinking about buying one or the other. My problem is that the power and weight are very similar giving I would have thought similar performance but my budget will only buy a 120k mile plus 20 year old 964 or alternatively a 70K mile 6 year old boxster s.
I guess the boxster is a newer design but does the 964 do something better whch compensates for the greater milage and age?

Thanks in advance for any comments

cheers

Graham
Originally Posted by THXBABE
It was a bunch of different fish acutally. We had a great day!

As to Porsche variety - I will have a 993 one day
Oh man, that's a funny picture. My daughter thought you were trying to stuff a body into the trunk (they just watched Transporter). I can fit two golf bags in the back (one regular, and one junior size) and two golf carts in the front (again, one regular, one junior). It's pretty good storage for a sports car...
Old 05-29-2009, 01:15 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A boxter is arguably one of the best open cars ever. A 911 coupe is the best "closed" car ever made. A 964 with a 3.6 has pavement peeling torque. I think it would be an easy decision. Get both. The duality of porsche dictates that you can't have just one.
Old 05-29-2009, 01:36 PM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by whalebird
A boxter is arguably one of the best open cars ever. A 911 coupe is the best "closed" car ever made. A 964 with a 3.6 has pavement peeling torque. I think it would be an easy decision. Get both. The duality of porsche dictates that you can't have just one.
I like your thinking.
Old 05-29-2009, 04:57 PM
First986NJ
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Me too, and if I ever do get a second Porsche (cause my Boxster isn't going anywhere...,) I assure you it will be a 993 Anthony.

.......or maybe a 930 S .....
Old 05-30-2009, 05:56 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

See, a 993 C4S is my next one, but I really want another early 911(I had a 73 911s coupe for a while that was sweet).
Then again a Boxster is a special car-I could get cozy with one real easy.
I know the 930 very well, I have had several customers with all varieties and built a 1992 model for IMSA racing in the Bridgestone Potenza Supercar series back in the early 90s.
I also did an uber-expensive rebuild of an '87 factory slopenose that was awesome.
If its a Porsche and has TURBO written on it - beware. There is nothing like 500HP in a Porsche. It eclipses lots of other "powerful" sports cars.

Quick Reply: Confused