Sponsored by:

2nd gear syncro iffy ???

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 05:13 PM
davepnola
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd gear syncro iffy ???

Anyone can give me the procedure to replace 2nd gear syncronizer? What parts are needed and will need a big press and torches to heat gears, etc..... Thanks for your response , and yes I have been into manual transmissions before, just not 986 ........... Davepnola
Old 09-30-2008, 10:13 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts
Default Ask me in a week or so... Just ordered 15 volume factory repair manual...

Originally Posted by davepnola
Anyone can give me the procedure to replace 2nd gear syncronizer? What parts are needed and will need a big press and torches to heat gears, etc..... Thanks for your response , and yes I have been into manual transmissions before, just not 986 ........... Davepnola
for Boxster -- 97 to 04 for $350 and approx. $25 shipping. 64lbs worth of manuals...

Ordered from Sunset Porsche. 1 800 346 0182. Spoke with Luke.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:06 AM
davepnola
Racer

Thanks I guess the tele number is for the Parts Hey ? Also what about using Syncro mesh fluid that GM puts out for the trans.........?
Old 10-01-2008, 11:45 AM
insite
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you need an 80 ton (no typo) press to disassemble / reassemble the five speed. this is according to a mechanic at cogscogs while i was up there picking up a replacement tranny. they don't have a press that strong, so they don't rebuild these units.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:15 PM
Macster
Race Director

Default Telephone number for parts but I was giving it to you...

Thanks I guess the tele number is for the Parts Hey ? Also what about using Syncro mesh fluid that GM puts out for the trans.........?
if you were interested in buying the manuals I spoke of.

Received the manuals today. All 64lbs of them. Have not had time to look over 5-speed rebuild section.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:17 PM
Macster
Race Director

Default Oh, I think there is no reason to use anything other than the fluid...

recommended by Porsche. My '02 has over 203,000 miles on its 5-speed and is on the original synchros (and clutch too which is of course not affected by the fluid used in the tranny). Porsche tranny fluid has done ok by me.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:14 AM
insite
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i tried redline MT-90 and Swepco 201. the Swepco is really good; especially when cold. i actually trashed a ring & pinion while running the the MT-90.
Old 10-02-2008, 06:28 PM
blinkwatt
Pro

I loved Redline MT-90 on my 99'.

The Swepco 201 is okay on my 01' six speed. You can easily tell when the tranny is cold though,compared to OEM.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:07 PM
grey ghost
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah just got mine back with a new trans for my 2004 Se, took them 26 days to decide to
give me a new one.

thanks Rob.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:32 PM
davepnola
Racer

Ok this car is 01 non S and every is scared of going into the trans , even the Local Dealers,..............

Do not worry I will be in the trans myself............... Just looking for anyone that has been there before ...........Thanks
Old 10-03-2008, 03:38 PM
Macster
Race Director

Default Scanned through the factory manual section on manual transmission...

Ok this car is 01 non S and every is scared of going into the trans , even the Local Dealers,..............

Do not worry I will be in the trans myself............... Just looking for anyone that has been there before ...........Thanks
disassembly and assembly and see nothing scary. No mention of any requirement for an 80 ton press. Several places it mentioned heating the part or parts to 100C before assembly.

Even if one is needed it is a pretty poor auto repair shop that doesn't have an 80 ton press or has access to one at another shop. If you find you need a press, ideally you want to know before you start, check Yellow Pages for a list of say large automobile machine shops or general machine shops and call around until you locate a shop that has such a press and will accept press jobs.

(When I worked as a machinist we took in press jobs. Had two large hydraulic presses, one at least 80 tons (inside the building) and a much larger press located outside the shop building on driveway that ran along side the length of the shop building. Also, one could assemble some pretty tight fitting parts by heating one part and cooling -- we used dry ice in acetone -- to cool the other part. Some times parts with quite a considerable interference fit at the same temperature were a loose fit with the parts heated/cooled properly. Use heavy insulated gloves if you have to handle hot or *cold* parts!)

If you have done other manual transmissions I don't think the Porsche transmission would be all that difficult. All modern manual transmissions are pretty much the same internally.

Take lots of pictures during disassembly to note any and all spacer, collar, bearing, shim, washer, etc. order on the various shafts so reassembly is less prone to error. If any collar, etc. asymetrical, note too which side faces which direction.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 10-03-2008, 08:17 PM
Macster
Race Director

Default Let me add that in looking through the factory manual on the 5-speed...

transmission I don't think you're going to be able to assemble this without this manual (group 3) of the factory manual set cause there are spacings of assemblies that require measurement and possible adjustment.

Without knowing which ones are which, and what the measurements should be... I don't think you'll have a good chance (and given the time/effort/cost, you'd want a 100% chance) of meeting with success.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:45 PM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The five speeds dont require the 40 ton press. Those we shipped to dealers specifically to do repairs on the Boxster S and 996 Getrag six speed units. That being said, I wouldnt attempt any repairs without having the shop manual.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:26 PM
davepnola
Racer

i have the repair manual, will I need the special tools ??? Thanks trans is on the ground and ready to be opened.
Old 10-10-2008, 01:36 AM
davepnola
Racer

Ok trans is apart, though I need a special tool to remove the input shaft front bearing tool # VAG 1582 , 1582/2 though I wonder if i can tap on the front of the shaft with rubber mallet and push the shaft out of the bearing?? Anyone have that tool , all syncros besides 1st are really burnt , though second is toast

Quick Reply: 2nd gear syncro iffy ???