Sponsored by:

Boxster tonneau cover

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 02:32 PM
dak911
Three Wheelin'

Received 141 Likes on 115 Posts
Default Boxster tonneau cover

Living in south FL I thought it would be nice to have a tonneau cover something like the old British cars, zippered in the center to open the drivers side, rather than running the top up and down a few times a day.
Anyone seen one of these?
Old 08-18-2008, 04:52 PM
lilredpo
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/me...98656198500A10

I had a MGB with the same, thought about it for the Boxster. But from what I read, I think you need to add some snaps. Also, for the time it would take to put on and off, the top moves pretty quickly.

Good luck and post some pics if you move ahead. Thanks.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:51 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts
Default I've seen a Boxster (S) equipped with one. Owned by Tom who runs Babblers board..

Originally Posted by dak911
Living in south FL I thought it would be nice to have a tonneau cover something like the old British cars, zippered in the center to open the drivers side, rather than running the top up and down a few times a day.
Anyone seen one of these?
He used to be in CA but moved east, IN IIRC.

I have no email address for him. Perhaps if you visited the Babblers board you could locate him.

My recollection is it was a very nice item, clean install. Do not remember if Tom did it or had someone do it.

I myself don't like drilling holes (for the snaps or anything else) in the body metal but if you want a tonneau cover well, it is your car.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:44 PM
VTCMart
Instructor

Attached by studs on the dashboard??? Wonder what they attached that to at those points shown in the picture? (without drilling holes I hope)
Old 08-21-2008, 08:58 PM
ppbskis
Racer

I have seen these on special in a magazine for like $ 986.00. I also remember reading that drilling was required and reccomended it to be done professionally.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:14 PM
lilredpo
Pro

My MBG had a snap stud screwed right into the dash. That's what held it in place if you only wanted to unzip the drivers side and leave the passenger side covered.
Old 08-29-2008, 02:36 PM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

I had a Datsun 2000 roadster, known in japan as the first Fairlady Z. I used the Tonneau most of the year. It too had snaps all across the dash. They couldn't be replaced without removing the windshield, due mostly to angle. That angle is also what kept it snugly over the entire dash. With a Boxster it seems to me you could take the trim piece off and install snaps easily then put the trim back. I loved that car BTW, though by todays standards it wasn't very good.

Trending Topics

Old 08-29-2008, 08:16 PM
racer
Drifting

Look closely and there is no passenger side seat back!

on the otherhand, assuming there is a section for the drivers side, its cheaper than a new top
Old 08-30-2008, 08:08 AM
dak911
Three Wheelin'

Received 141 Likes on 115 Posts

WOW very observant !!!
I looked at that cover a few times and never noticed, but, it sure does look good.
$1000 is a bit much however, I'd think that it could be made by a top shop for a few hundred, but then again I guess I'm living in the 60's pricewise.
Old 08-31-2008, 03:04 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to move the passenger seat all the way forward and tilt the backrest down. That is why it looks like there is no seat in the picture.

Years ago Suncoast was selling a bunch of the tonneau covers for $45 because it had been discontinued. Back then you could no longer order it as an option when the car was built. I bought one for $45. Either it is back on the market or you can no longer order one from parts.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:27 AM
lilredpo
Pro

I'd be on it if it didn't have to put a screw in the dash!
Old 01-20-2011, 09:14 PM
Sumflow
Instructor

Location: Hawaii ~ The driver smiled, when he lost the car in pursuit..
Lightbulb Tonneau Cover

Old 01-23-2011, 03:32 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

Many a time I'd be out in my Alfa with the tonneau on in freezing and even snowing weather. With the heater on, the heat would waft up around your head and you'd be surprisingly warm. But putting the mountings into the dash through the padding on my Boxster would stop me.

It was also nice when you pull into a shopping center to just snap 3 places and zip it up the center and you are safe from prying eyes, people dropping trash and light sprinkles. Not secure, just hidden.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:00 AM
Sumflow
Instructor

Location: Hawaii ~ The driver smiled, when he lost the car in pursuit..
Lightbulb Porsche Tonneau Covers $100.00

Roadster drivers complained about people getting too soft when they put roll up windows in sports cars. A car is just a car. Porsche’s are made to be driven fast and safe. A genuine Porsche tonneau cover saves a driver time, the visibility is better, and its fun. Convertibles are made to be driven with the top down. Just about anything accept a downpour is top down time for me. Too much sun, I just wear a hat.
Originally Posted by mikefocke
Putting the mountings into the dash through the padding on my Boxster would stop me.
Some people do spend a big chunk of their lives pampering things. Things should pamper us. I can barely see out of my rear window. Driving with no blind spots is just plain quicker. When it rains with the top down you can see the rain pouring down on the passenger seat. But with a tonneau, it just runs off. Stuff you have on the seat is hidden and dry. No need to do anything but drive on. Porsche tonneau cover for the Boxster, it just makes sense. Of course you can tell I seldom drive in the city.

Porsche Part no. 986 561 985 00 A10
Installation of Tonneau Cover

Protects the interior against dust, dirt, and rain. A precisely-tailored cover that snaps into place quickly. A zip up the middle allows you to leave the passenger side up to reduce turbulence. Includes a convenient storage bag.

Last edited by Sumflow; 03-09-2011 at 05:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Boxster tonneau cover