Driver's side intake grill removal procedure

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 03:42 PM
StatmanDesigns
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Driver's side intake grill removal procedure

I realize that it is held on with one screw and 3 clips, but I cannot remove this piece. How in the hell do you actually get this thing off without breaking it. I have pulled and pryed and tried everything I can think of. Is there some trick to this that I am missing? Seems really stupid that I cannot get the grill off to get to the intake snorkel, which is supposed to be the difficult thing to remove. If the cover is this difficult to remove, I have no chance at the snorkel.

Please help me or somebody in Cincinnati stop by and demonstrate the technique.

Thanks,
Dan.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:31 PM
blue2000s
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Push in at the tabs and they will slip out of the clips towards the inside.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:44 PM
Turboflyer
Pro

Not Porsche related, but that is a beautiful dog.
Old 04-26-2008, 12:54 PM
StatmanDesigns
Addict
Rennlist Member

I agree he is a beautiful weimeraner. Unfortuantely, I had to give him away last year. Looks can be VERY deceiving, he was quite a vicious animal. He attacked my other weimeraner, and one day turned on me. I do miss him, and should probably change my avatar.

On a Porsche note, I was able to finally wrestle the cover off the side of the car and remove the snorkel.
Old 04-27-2008, 12:13 PM
Turboflyer
Pro

Sorry about your experience with the wemeraner. If the other dog was am male that would make sense. But say how does the car sound without the snorkel. I assume that was the reason for removal.
Old 04-28-2008, 01:26 PM
StatmanDesigns
Addict
Rennlist Member

Car sounds great. It has the Porsche sport exhaust as well. Doesn't quite sound as good as my old 993 with the RSR mufflers and drilled air-box, but we are getting close. This Boxster is my favorite P-car to drive. I have had two 3.2L Carreras and a 993, but I like this Boxster S the best so far. I do prefer the looks of the 911s, but I sure do love my new ride, and the price can't be beat.
Old 04-28-2008, 02:08 PM
Jay Laifman
Pro

I have the 2003 Porsche Sport Exhaust and Danske sport cats, and just did the desnorkle, on my 2000 S. I waited until the warranty expired to pull it. Even without the desnorkle, my car sounds great, real vicious. That said, it is still quiet when not being pushed, compared to my '73 911 which is louder at all rpms.

I believe part of it has to do with the location of the exhaust pipe. The other day, pre-desnorkle, I was driving through a tunnel and floored it in 2nd. The scream actually scared me. I didn't realize quite how loud I was before. But, the walls bounced it back to my ears. It was wild!

But, now here's the thing about the desnorkle. It definitely makes a louder intake sound, over 4,000 rpm, but needs to be under load, and I think might even be a bit more pronounced when the top is up. But, the problem is that it has to be over 4,000 rpm under load. So now I'm finding myself under load over 4,000 rpm a lot! The other day, I was doing it around a bend, merging onto Malibu Canyon, in 2nd. I'm not exactly sure what rpm I was at. It was well over 4,000 rpm by the time I first saw the cop just waiting on the side of the road. Aggghhh! So caught, so busted. To my great luck, just as I passed the cop, a huge slow truck pulled in right behind me. At that point, it's a very long two lane winding mountain road with no legal passing zones for miles. I reached the other end, turned on the road I needed to go on, and the cop never "caught up." Phew!

So, now I'm being more judicious in when I push it to hear the extra sound. Kind of makes it a tease and gets me more bummed that it's there and I can't get to it.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:40 PM
Jay Laifman
Pro

Revision, I was in 3rd well over 4,000 rpm, well above 60 in that 45 mph zone. Feeling pretty lucky on that one.

Quick Reply: Driver's side intake grill removal procedure