Sponsored by:

Boxster S spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 09:54 AM
Rob951
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Boxster S spoiler

I currently own an '87 951 and will be purchasing a '01 Boxster S in the very near future (God willing). I have a couple quick questions about the spoiler:

1: At what speeds does it extend and retract at??

2: Is there a way to make it extend/retract at will?? If so, how??

3: Is there a way to see it extended while driving??

I think it is one of the sexiest features on the more modern Porsches and would like to learn a bit more about it. Thanks.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:59 AM
stumpjumper
Drifting

it goes up at 75mph and back down under 50mph, although the speedos are usually off 3-5mph so it's as low as 70 actual and 45 actual mph

there's a button to extend it manually in the fuse box by your left foot, it's not a one-touch up though, you have to hold it to put it up or down, if you do that it won't retract automatically, you have to use the switch, you can relocate the switch to one of the dead spots in the console and replace it with the turbo's spoiler switch if you'd like, it's pretty easy

only way to see it is to push yourself up and look back... not great while driving but you can see it

once you get use to the car, you can feel it at speed, well at least I think I can feel it... maybe I'm just imagining things
Old 06-23-2010, 08:37 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by stumpjumper
...there's a button to extend it manually in the fuse box by your left foot, it's not a one-touch up though, you have to hold it to put it up or down, if you do that it won't retract automatically, you have to use the switch...
I've found that even if I manually push the button to raise it, it will eventually lower itself. Not sure if it's a time-based lowering or a speed thing though...
Old 02-22-2011, 04:39 AM
Diamond Monaco
Track Day

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
I've found that even if I manually push the button to raise it, it will eventually lower itself. Not sure if it's a time-based lowering or a speed thing though...
I'd like to know also.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:01 AM
cretinx
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

dead giveaway to the police that you're speeding.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:33 PM
racer
Drifting

Originally Posted by cretinx
dead giveaway to the police that you're speeding.
Only in places with wimpy speedlimits
Old 02-22-2011, 05:44 PM
BigKraut
Instructor

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
I believe that you are correct. Even when raised manually w/the switch it will retract automatically.

If you want it to stay in the raised position just remove the fuse after raising it with the switch.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:14 PM
EPWilson
Advanced

Originally Posted by stumpjumper
...you can relocate the switch to one of the dead spots in the console and replace it with the turbo's spoiler switch if you'd like, it's pretty easy...
Can you point to a DIY on how to do this, including where to get the necessary parts?
Old 02-23-2011, 03:20 PM
cretinx
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by racer
Only in places with wimpy speedlimits
I do miss living in D.C. where speed limits were merely suggestions on the beltway (and in the city).

Yesterday my friend actually got clocked at 120 mph inside the 9th street tunnel (trying to clear the snow off his EVO). The cops let him walk.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:31 PM
BigKraut
Instructor

Originally Posted by BigKraut
I believe that you are correct. Even when raised manually w/the switch it will retract automatically.

If you want it to stay in the raised position just remove the fuse after raising it with the switch.
It is fuse D8 if anyone cares.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:05 PM
CanyonBlaster
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

I track my car all the time. All the Boxster guys raise it manualy prior to going on track (so its not going up/down around the track. I'm pretty sure it doesn't lower until you recycle the ignition key, IE, it stays up.
Old 02-27-2011, 05:54 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob951
I currently own an '87 951 and will be purchasing a '01 Boxster S in the very near future (God willing). I have a couple quick questions about the spoiler:

1: At what speeds does it extend and retract at??

2: Is there a way to make it extend/retract at will?? If so, how??

3: Is there a way to see it extended while driving??

I think it is one of the sexiest features on the more modern Porsches and would like to learn a bit more about it. Thanks.
For (3) after I first got my 02 Boxster I used a hand mirror to 'confirm' the spoiler went up and down when it was supposed to.

At various times since I have 'observed' the spoiler's position by viewing the car's shadow courtesy of a low sun and clear skies.

I have only tested the manual raise and lower feature a few times. I just rely upon the thing going up at the proper speed and coming down at the proper speed. (Now if I tracked my car I would almost certainly manually raise the spoiler to avoid subjecting the hardware to any more wear and tear than necessary.)

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: Boxster S spoiler