Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pics of front trunk release cable?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 01:00 AM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Pics of front trunk release cable?

Does anyone have any pics of exactly where the front trunk release cable is on a 99 boxster? I'm locked out of the trunk with a dead or disconnected battery. I tried the 12V to the cigarette lighter - nothing. I tried jumping the positive lead in the fuse panel and grounding to the door hinge - daytime running lights, but no trunk release. (is this a battery-bypass circuit?)

I've read plenty of articles about the manual release but so far haven't been able to find it. I pulled the cover out from the passenger side wheel well but after almost an hour of searching couldn't find anything resembling a trunk release. In the articles I read there seems to be some confusion over which wheel well it is, depending on LHD or RHD cars. (mine is LHD, US car). Tomorrow I'll pull the driver's side wheel well cover, too and see if I can find the release in there, but if someone can pinpoint the location for me, I'd sure appreciate it!

Thanks,
Chris
Old 05-09-2007, 01:15 AM
unklekraker
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey chris, (if your not the first owner) if it's not in the wheel well, look in the front bumper tow hook or on the passenger side marker..i've seen people put their cable in those location. just recently i had that problem and I end up using a small prybar with towel to open up my front trunk.
the release latch on the driver side is moving but the trunk won't open, so I thought it was the cable but it end up it was the latch itself...hope this help
look at post# 8
http://986forum.com/forums/showthrea...ht=front+trunk

and on this one, halfway down the thread..page 3
http://www.babblers.org/forums/showt...42762#poststop
Old 05-09-2007, 01:35 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In a perfect situation you reach under the fender liner into the headlight area and find the emergency release cable.
Old 05-09-2007, 01:39 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

In the middle of the picture my finger is on the loop on the end of the cable.
Old 05-09-2007, 01:53 PM
Christien
Race Car

Just the man I was hoping to speak to I read your very detailed thread (elsewhere, can't remember where!) - thanks for doing such a detailed write-up, and also for these pics. This confirms that it most definitely has been moved by a PO, as unklekraker pointed out above. I didn't pull the headlight, but I did have the wheel well plastic cover off and searched high and low all through there, even feeling things out with my fingers where I couldn't see, all around the headlight. Nothing there at all. In particular, I noted the black solid bar and the heavy wiring cable just to the right of your finger in the 2nd pic, so I was definitely searching in the right area.

In any event, I did get the alarm disabled using the 'jump fuse C3 to a positive lead' trick, which allowed me to open the front trunk and jump the battery.

In the hopes of helping future folks who are as stymied as I was, I'll post a detailed explanation of the jumper trick. Hopefully that plus your pics above will save people from the 5 or 6 hours I wasted yesterday and today!!

(who designed this system anyway?? It makes the heat controls in my 72 911 look positively logical!)

Chris
Old 05-09-2007, 09:11 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

As stated, in a perfect situation you can reach your hand under the plastic fender liner and find the loop at the end of the cable and pull on the loop.

Problem is, I have seen the cable all over the place - rather than where you would expect it to be. And you cannot see where it actually is unless the headlight is removed - and you cannot remove the headlight unless the trunk is open.

In the pastel yellow car it somehow ended up under the mounting plate for the headlight. For the above pictures the cable was relocated to the correct location and secured with tape.
The following users liked this post:
Slainte336 (05-20-2020)
Old 05-09-2007, 09:54 PM
unklekraker
Racer

2 words: Your Awesome, Tool Pants

Trending Topics

Old 05-09-2007, 10:06 PM
Christien
Race Car

Agreed!
Old 05-12-2007, 05:38 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

This is a picture I took 5 years ago of a then new 2002.

Once again the loop on the end of the cable is not where you would expect to find it. Plus it was not routed correctly. This would be hard to find by reaching under the plastic fender liner since you cannot see where the loop is.

This is why I extended the cable on my car 8 years ago to the sidemarker. Then a few years after that we started using the tow hook cover.
Old 12-03-2023, 11:24 PM
nachocastrof
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Christien
Just the man I was hoping to speak to I read your very detailed thread (elsewhere, can't remember where!) - thanks for doing such a detailed write-up, and also for these pics. This confirms that it most definitely has been moved by a PO, as unklekraker pointed out above. I didn't pull the headlight, but I did have the wheel well plastic cover off and searched high and low all through there, even feeling things out with my fingers where I couldn't see, all around the headlight. Nothing there at all. In particular, I noted the black solid bar and the heavy wiring cable just to the right of your finger in the 2nd pic, so I was definitely searching in the right area.

In any event, I did get the alarm disabled using the 'jump fuse C3 to a positive lead' trick, which allowed me to open the front trunk and jump the battery.

In the hopes of helping future folks who are as stymied as I was, I'll post a detailed explanation of the jumper trick. Hopefully that plus your pics above will save people from the 5 or 6 hours I wasted yesterday and today!!

(who designed this system anyway?? It makes the heat controls in my 72 911 look positively logical!)

Chris
Hi Christien,
Did you ever post that detailed explanation of the jumper trick?
Thanks

nachocastrof
Old 12-04-2023, 08:53 AM
Christien
Race Car

No, I don't think I ever did. Sorry! I do remember having to do it again on a different boxster and it was indeed in the passenger wheel well. Complete b!tch to remove the wheel liner. Terrible design.
Old 04-14-2024, 06:02 PM
Webbjro
2nd Gear

Default 2002 986 Dead Battery: Access to Frunk

I hope I am not posting in the wrong location.
Stored my 02 over winter and my tender was on. When I went today I removed the tender, closed the frunk, and then realized that the battery was dead. I pulled out the positive terminal from fuse panel to try to put power to car to open frunk but all that happens is the alarm goes off. I tried putting the key in the ignition - no go. I tried the remote button - no go. Is my only option to remove front driver's side rim and shroud to find the manual wire to release frunk? What about the wire in the C3 fuse? OR is the ideal option to get a cigarette lighter adapter and try that route?
I know there are threads on this topic but the pictures and youtube links seem to be missing including the link to mikefocke2 (https://sites.google.com/site/mikefo...rbatteryisdead).
Thank you for any advice provided
Old 04-15-2024, 05:55 AM
tcora
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Webbjro
I hope I am not posting in the wrong location.
Stored my 02 over winter and my tender was on. When I went today I removed the tender, closed the frunk, and then realized that the battery was dead. I pulled out the positive terminal from fuse panel to try to put power to car to open frunk but all that happens is the alarm goes off. I tried putting the key in the ignition - no go. I tried the remote button - no go. Is my only option to remove front driver's side rim and shroud to find the manual wire to release frunk? What about the wire in the C3 fuse? OR is the ideal option to get a cigarette lighter adapter and try that route?
I know there are threads on this topic but the pictures and youtube links seem to be missing including the link to mikefocke2 (https://sites.google.com/site/mikefo...rbatteryisdead).
Thank you for any advice provided
What did you use to try to power thru the fuse block? It takes a fair amount of power, so jumper cables and a battery are what’s required. Charger won’t cut it.
Old 04-15-2024, 09:58 AM
Webbjro
2nd Gear

I used a plug-in car batter charger (Canadian Tire) that has 2A, 12A, and Boost settings. I tried all settings and the alarm just got louder as I increased the power. I can only assume that the power was enough, but because the alarm was firing the frunk release would not work.
Old 04-15-2024, 04:52 PM
tcora
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Webbjro
I used a plug-in car batter charger (Canadian Tire) that has 2A, 12A, and Boost settings. I tried all settings and the alarm just got louder as I increased the power. I can only assume that the power was enough, but because the alarm was firing the frunk release would not work.
OK. So 5 minutes to try jumper cables is out of the question?

🤷‍♂️

Quick Reply: Pics of front trunk release cable?