Sponsored by:

Repeated Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2003, 10:34 AM
DKCW
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Repeated Oil Leak

Have taken my '00 Boxster to the dealer 3x to fix an engine oil leak... & she's leaking AGAIN! Much as I love the car, seeing oil on the garage floor again is making me nervous. Warranty expires in October. Anyone else experience this? Thanks.
Old 07-04-2003, 08:56 PM
LeeR
Racer

I had identical situation. Bought my car new in 1/2000. Had several oil leaks, including at time of new car delivery. Resealed cam covers a few times and replaced head gasket in 11/02. Leaking again in 4/03 (10,000 miles), so dealer (Beverly Hills Porsche) said if they can't fix an oil leak after 3 times they replace the engine, and they replaced mine. Engine is a remanufactured engine from Germany. I now have about 1500 miles on new engine and I can't tell the difference; it runs great, and no oil leak! So insist on replacement engine!
Old 07-04-2003, 09:55 PM
Turboflyer
Pro

Why didnt they put a new engine in?
Old 07-05-2003, 02:29 AM
LeeR
Racer

Why didnt they put a new engine in?

Because the car is over 3 years old and the engine has 10,000 miles on it. All they have to do is fix the problem, they don't have to make it new. If car needs an engine replaced early in its life, I think they put in a new engine. But not after 3+ years. In any event they say that the remanufactured engine is torn down and rebuilt with the parts that get significant wear replaced, so it should be pretty much like new. I'm sure they will remanufacture my old engine which was sent back to Germany.
Old 07-06-2003, 09:58 PM
Turboflyer
Pro

Got to tell you, they would be putting in a new engine if I only had 10K on it and they couldnt fix it. A remanufactured enging can many levels. Since they are not going to tell you what went into the remanufactured engine you have no way of know how well the last engine was treated or why it was rebuilt. Aircraft engings can be rebuilt with all new parts, parts that fall with in defined wear limits, or just have the broken part fixed if all else falls with in limits. You have no way of knowing what condition it was in , who it was farmed out to for the repair/rebuild or really what condition wear wise it is in now. I am not trying to burst your bubble but just thought you should know.
Old 07-07-2003, 01:58 AM
LeeR
Racer

Turboflyer, you're right, I don't know how many miles the engine had on it. But I do know that it was rebuilt/remanufactured at Porsche in Germany. With replacing the parts that wear, I'm ok with it. It would be nice to get a new engine; but I don't think that's a reasonable demand for a 3+ year old car, and that's not what is required by the warranty.
Old 07-07-2003, 10:53 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by DKCW:
<strong>Have taken my '00 Boxster to the dealer 3x to fix an engine oil leak... & she's leaking AGAIN! Much as I love the car, seeing oil on the garage floor again is making me nervous. Warranty expires in October. Anyone else experience this? Thanks.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">3X? Take it back to the dealer and request they replace the engine. The remanufactured engines they put in are as good if not better than a new unit since they incorporate any fixes/updates that affected the initial builds.

As far as warranty expiring in October. You have a record of oil leaks, as long is all documented I think they have to work on it until they fix it... even if it goes past October.

You should also check if your state has a Lemon Law...

Let us know how things go.
Old 07-07-2003, 11:57 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Yeah...3X of the same problem, not three different leaks. That's usually the point at which your motor can be declared a lemon. (If not the whole car). That consistant/frequent of a leak indicates a motor problem, not a problem with three different seals. Porsche should replace.

Also, since the oil leak started while under warranty, it will have to be fixed on their dime until it's fixed right, regardless of miles.

May have to push for this one, but it'll be worth it. Try calling PCNA.
Old 07-07-2003, 06:37 PM
Hubert
Instructor

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Turboflyer:
<strong>Got to tell you, they would be putting in a new engine if I only had 10K on it and they couldnt fix it. A remanufactured enging can many levels. Since they are not going to tell you what went into the remanufactured engine you have no way of know how well the last engine was treated or why it was rebuilt. Aircraft engings can be rebuilt with all new parts, parts that fall with in defined wear limits, or just have the broken part fixed if all else falls with in limits. You have no way of knowing what condition it was in , who it was farmed out to for the repair/rebuild or really what condition wear wise it is in now. I am not trying to burst your bubble but just thought you should know.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">A remanufactured engine may be slightly better,as the blocks been heat cycled over and over and over again, and has actually become more rigid than a fresh block would be; in the turbo F1 craze (circa 70's) BMW actually used used, discarded 2002 blocks for their f1 engines. Just hot tanked them,and built 1500hp monsters out of used blocks/engines. Remanufactured doesn't always imply half assed,not sure the work lends itself to peace of mind,but it shouldn't be discounted. That said, above and beyond the renamufactured engine, what would concern me most would be the repeated oil leak.

Quick Reply: Repeated Oil Leak