Boxster s or 993 or 3.2

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 01:38 AM
Rob W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boxster s or 993 or 3.2

HI I am selling my sudi s4 it has a couple of modifications twin k04 turbos with apr down pipes an apr chip and the apr injectors actually it has the apr stage 3 kit. I just want to get a convertible that is a little more fun. I really don't use the audi much I own a materials production company and tend to use my dodge 2500 td pu most of the time. I have owned a couple of 993 cars in the past and a 3.2 1988 targa how does the boxster s compare to these two cars. I know that none of these cars is nearly as quick as the s4 my brother has a fearrai 360 that has a hard time keeping up with the s4 in a straight line. Anyhow I have noticed that 2001 boxster s cars seem to have a pretty reasonable price are they fairly reliable. Hey any help would be appreciated
Rob
Old 04-08-2007, 02:08 AM
SDDave
Advanced

Hey Rob-

I currently have a 2001 Boxster S, and have had in the past an '83 911SC and an '89 911 (among other assorted P-cars). I have to say, I love the Boxster without question.

Will you miss some of the 'driving skill' necessity of the tail-heavy 911?... sure.

But coming from an Audi (even a Ferrari-beating S4 ), I think you'll find the handling, especially, to be a different level altogether. Something about perfect weight distribution and an engine in the middle seems to speak to the Handling Gods!!

You'll also find that there is no shortage of go-fast options for the Boxster, from simple intakes, exhausts, and a chip, to Supercharger and Turbo conversions.

My car's been bullet-proof, bought it at 33K miles, have over 55K on it now, and have only had to take care of the standard service-interval items (which means I've spent nothing since I got it CPO!).

All-in-all, I think you'll be MORE than pleased with a Boxster S, and will find that the Perma-Grin option will come standard every time you turn the key.

Any more questions, I'm sure you'll find plenty of answers here!!

Dave
San Diego
Old 04-08-2007, 10:44 AM
986Jim
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rob, my Talon makes 424whp and pulls a 1/4 in the 11's now (my sig is not updated anymore) I can pull a Covetter Z06 or Viper outta the whole and for the whole 1/4 mile generally with out any effort at all.

Guess which car I'm always driving?
Old 04-08-2007, 12:00 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I have a 3.2 Carrera and Boxster S, I love the Boxster S, the car is a blast.
I actually sold my 00 S4 (Chipped) and bought the 01S.
Old 04-08-2007, 07:48 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 210 Posts

I just sold a 2002 Audi S4 Avant. I currently own a '97 993 cab and a '01 Boxster S. All three are very different cars. And, all three are great cars. The Boxster S is a fine car and there are many low mileage examples out there for a fraction of the new price. If you go out and test drive one you'll be sold. They are a lot of fun.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:45 PM
Vampyre
Racer

Originally Posted by 986Jim
Rob, my Talon makes 424whp and pulls a 1/4 in the 11's now (my sig is not updated anymore) I can pull a Covetter Z06 or Viper outta the whole and for the whole 1/4 mile generally with out any effort at all.

Guess which car I'm always driving?
No matter how fast , Dude, it is a Talon, that is a high school kids car, I would rather drive about anything else when compared to that car.

Back to the question..

Get the Boxster S, it is a great car for the money. Great daily driver and track car. Two trunks make it fun for weekend get aways.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:41 PM
Pzkw993
Instructor

Rob -

You've had a '96 coupe and a '98 cab so far, right? As I recall, you didn't really enjoy them that much. Surely buying a third 993 after failing to get much out of the first two doesn't make a lot of sense. And if you thought the 993 was slow, you will think the 986S is really slow.

Just based on what I remember of your 993 forum posts, you would be better served by something like an AMG CL65. You can get one for seventy-five grand and it's faster in a straight line than any Porsche sold in this country, save for the CGT. Perhaps you would enjoy something like a Roush F-150 even more. I'm not sure you are cut out for Porsche ownership, which is not a negative statement so much as a dispassionate observation of your previous choices.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:16 PM
rj777
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob W
HI I am selling my sudi s4 it has a couple of modifications twin k04 turbos with apr down pipes an apr chip and the apr injectors actually it has the apr stage 3 kit. I just want to get a convertible that is a little more fun. I really don't use the audi much I own a materials production company and tend to use my dodge 2500 td pu most of the time. I have owned a couple of 993 cars in the past and a 3.2 1988 targa how does the boxster s compare to these two cars. I know that none of these cars is nearly as quick as the s4 my brother has a fearrai 360 that has a hard time keeping up with the s4 in a straight line. Anyhow I have noticed that 2001 boxster s cars seem to have a pretty reasonable price are they fairly reliable. Hey any help would be appreciated. Rob
Hi Rob,

I'm not sure if this is you, but the other day on the Boxster board (ppbb.com), a person posted an inquiry looking for comparative information between a 2000 Boxster S and a 993 cab.

As an owner of both cars, I posted a fairly detailed summary of my thoughts, experiences, and impressions of both models. You should have a look if you get a chance. If this was not you, let me know, and I'll be happy to repost my comments here.

Best regards,

Rick
Old 04-09-2007, 09:20 PM
986Jim
Instructor

Originally Posted by Vampyre
No matter how fast , Dude, it is a Talon, that is a high school kids car, I would rather drive about anything else when compared to that car.

Back to the question..

Get the Boxster S, it is a great car for the money. Great daily driver and track car. Two trunks make it fun for weekend get aways.
Hahaha, thats pretty funny. Just because you own a C5 and my Talon could mop the floor with your car in every sense of the word doesn't mean you need to chime in with such a "great" response. A high schoolers car, thats great.

Btw your C5 has leaf springs in the rear lol... Thats pre-school.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:08 AM
Vampyre
Racer

I guess you didn't understand the question posted, no biggie most kids don't. Enjoy your talon!
Old 04-10-2007, 05:50 PM
SDDave
Advanced

Now come on, let's not get crazy....

Vampyre- So he drives a Talon. It's a reliable car, and he's proud of it. If it's a fast car, it's a fast car. At the end of the day, the faster car wins, right? He's obviously spent a lot of time (AND MONEY) to make the car what it is, and he's an enthusiast, so... eh, whatever.

Jim- Before you get too pumped up about what I said... you drive a Talon. I don't know why you would expect not too get a little bit of heckling on a PORSCHE board for speaking so highly of a Talon. Maybe over at RiceRocket Boards or something, that would be the BOMB car to have. Probably not the case on a Porsche Board.

It's the same thing I say about all RiceRockets; if you've spent a LOT of money to make your car what it is, kudos- that's a great hobby. Better your car than drugs (though I think that's where the 16 year olds are getting their money for their cars in the first place ).

However, just be honest about your car. If you have a riced-out Civic, you drive a Civic. It's not a "Cool, Ferrari beating, dope ride, yo"... it's a Civic, even it WILL beat a Ferrari. You can redo the kitchen, lay marble slabs down as the floor, serve dinner on gold dishes, and put a bidet in the bathroom... but if your "fabulous, luxurious, elegantly-appointed, stately home" happens to be located in a trailor park... it's still a trailor. And you probably won't get too many ooohs and ahhhs describing it to people who own $20mil palaces.

That's all I'm saying.......

Dave
San Diego
Old 04-10-2007, 06:14 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rj777
Hi Rob,

I'm not sure if this is you, but the other day on the Boxster board (ppbb.com), a person posted an inquiry looking for comparative information between a 2000 Boxster S and a 993 cab.

As an owner of both cars, I posted a fairly detailed summary of my thoughts, experiences, and impressions of both models. You should have a look if you get a chance. If this was not you, let me know, and I'll be happy to repost my comments here.

Best regards,

Rick
Rick:

I couldn't find your post on PPBB, but I would be interested in what you had to say.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:42 PM
rj777
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rome
Rick:

I couldn't find your post on PPBB, but I would be interested in what you had to say.
Hi Rome,

Here is the original request for help that was posted on the Boxster board the other day. In re-reading the original question from Rob W in this thread and comparing it to what was posted on ppbb, I really doubt that the following question is from Rob because Rob states in *this* thread that he previously owned some 993's. Anyway, here goes:

'Boxster S vs. 993 cab' -- I am seriously in the market for one of these.. my questions are, how would a 98' cab compare with a 2000 boxster S in terms of torque (and 5-60mph low end acceration), handling, maintenance costs, comfort for my 6'2 190lb frame, and safety? Other than its more pure-bred heritage (air cooled) what about driving this model 993 is so different than a 996? based on its weight and interior it almost seems to have a more 'go-kart' feel.. Am I correct? Generally what has been the safety record on boxsters? if it does roll over, whats the survivability with the roll bars? Does the fact that the roll bar size and seat height for the 2005 model year suggest there was a problem with the original design?

And here is my response:

Disclaimer 1: I am not a professional motorsports journalist, author, or reviewer. Disclaimer 2, both my cars are tiptronics, but IMO, this has absolutely *negligible* impact on acceleration and torque. By the way, the 986 S tip is a 5-speed and the 993 Tip is a 4-speed. In manual mode, the 993 tip offers both steering wheel shifting and console shifting, which is kind of cool because you get to connect with the console shifter to do the manual mode shifting.

The launch acceleration is about the same in both cars, although I might give a small nod to the 993 because the car seems a bit lighter than the Box S. The Box S, though, seems to have more low-end torque.

In manual mode, they are both extremely fast cars. Trust me. And they are just as stable, planted, and confidence-inspiring at 105 mph on the interstate as they are at 40-50 mph around town.

The 993 offers a raw, visceral, involving, and very connected to the road driving experience. It requires your full focus and attention while driving. 18" wheels are a must in order to get a wider, more grippier rear wheel. Othewise, sooner or later, you will experience fishtailing with the stock 17" wheels due to all that force, power, and thrust over the rear wheels. The 993 driving experience is totally satisfying in a way that the newer 986/996 can't exactly duplicate because, IMO, the 986/996 design, implementation, and end product took these cars to a totally different direction. Not better, not worse, just different.

The 00 Box S is a very capable car on every level. But first and foremost, it is civilized. It is insulated from the road. It is comfortable. It is more modern. It's interior is eye-catching, beautiful, symmetrical, striking, and visually balanced. It is fast, it is agile, it is stable, it is fun, it is beautiful to look at, and it is satisfying to drive. And with two trunks, it is practical for weekend getaways.

As far as maintenance, I've had very few issues with either car. I've owned my '0 Box S since new. I've had it for 7 years and have driven it 39,700 miles. The only unexpected things to come up were a need to replace the final drive seal (where the transmission connects to the rear axle, and where my mechanic noticed a small leak of differential fluid), and I needed new front strut tower bearings to address the creaking sound noticeable when pulling into a parking spot. Also, at the 30k mile service, when getting new spark plugs, my mechnanic said I needed a few new O-rings which the plugs fit into. I don't know if worn spark plug O-rings are routine or not, but it wasn't much money to replace them. Oh, and I'm noticing the coke-bottle whistle out of the ride side, which I'm told is a valve, cannister, or something related needing replacement in the evaporative emissions control system. It's only noticeable around 35 mph. Other than this, my '00 Box S has been bulletproof, bombproof, and as all-around trouble free a car that I've ever owned.

As far as maintenance on the 993 cab goes, mine's been relatively trouble free so far. I needed a new gasket on one of the lower valve covers. The symptom was a small leak of oil on the engine tray. I didn't notice it because the leak never even reached the garage floor. I'm told it isn't major, and it wasn't too much to fix. One of my cabrio top cables needed replacing, and the cab mechanism has required some adjustment. The motors in the front of the cab top that control the locking of the top to the windshield as the top is put up, were recalled (and replaced) by PCNA at no charge. In general the 993 cab mechanisms seem to require a bit more maintenance, and some owners have gone to a manual mode of lowering and raising them, a thankfully available option discussed in the owners manual. I will say, IMO, that the cab experience is thoroughly enjoyable in the 993 and well worth the extra work involved to keep it fully operational. That being said, most of the hardcore 993 owners seem to prefer the coupe, but depending on where you live, and your personal preferences, I wouldn't try to talk you out of the cab, because it is that awesomely satisfying a driving experience. Feel free to e-mail me if I can help further. I hope this is helpful. Regards, Rick

Here are some pics of my '00 Boxster S at the Blue Ridge Boxster Summit a few years ago:

Old 04-10-2007, 10:07 PM
Vampyre
Racer

Originally Posted by SDDave
Now come on, let's not get crazy....

Vampyre- So he drives a Talon. It's a reliable car, and he's proud of it. If it's a fast car, it's a fast car. At the end of the day, the faster car wins, right? He's obviously spent a lot of time (AND MONEY) to make the car what it is, and he's an enthusiast, so... eh, whatever...

Dave
San Diego
Mmm.. no not whatever....

I have nothing against any car, I'm an enthusiast also, and I have been lucky enough to have owned a few different types of cars.

But when a forum question is posted asking about a Boxster/S, you would not expect someone to come off like this..

"my Talon makes 424whp and pulls a 1/4 in the 11's now (my sig is not updated anymore) I can pull a Covetter Z06 or Viper outta the whole and for the whole 1/4 mile generally with out any effort at all.
Guess which car I'm always driving?"

That is BOMBASTIC to all, POMPIOUS and CONCEITED to make such a statement. Not only do you sound like an ****, your words are recorded for history....

He doesn't even state what the Viper or Z06 are running, stock or modded, and What YEARS, Big difference between a 1993 RT/10 and a 1999 GTS , or a 2006 SRT10 Coupe. Same with a 2000 C5 Z06 vs a 2007 C6 Z06.

I Don't know any UN-MODDED Vettes or Vipers that street race or drag race, anyone involved in racing has modded those cars, it is VERY easy to get more power from those motors, So this gives his story even less credibility.

Don't start stating facts if you dont expect to get called out on them.

Or does he mean ..... his modded car beats a stock car...then Why not cut to the chase and make that statement.

"My Highly modded car beats a stock car that is heavier and has less HP"

No sh#t, for real? I would have never guessed... WOW...

Both make you sound like an ****.

Neither of those examples adds to the discussion or the topic.

A better way to post would have been....
------------
I have a highly modded Talon, this car is quick pulling most cars on the road and track. It does 11's in the 1/4, I'm running 425HP. AWD is great outta the whole, but when it comes time to drive, I perfer the Boxster because ________
------------

You see the difference. It's in the words you choose.

Come off with some respect and you usally get that back. Talk like an idiot and get treated as such.

'nuff said
Old 04-10-2007, 10:13 PM
Pzkw993
Instructor

Great post by rj777. I had just one or two additional comments, since I am also a 993/Box S owner.

Originally Posted by rj777
The launch acceleration is about the same in both cars, although I might give a small nod to the 993 because the car seems a bit lighter than the Box S. The Box S, though, seems to have more low-end torque.
The 993 coupe is about 250 pounds heavier than a 986S, and I'm guessing that the cab is heavier still. My seat-of-the-pants estimation based on my non-Varioram six-speed '95 vs. my '04 550 six-speed Spyder is that the 993 is demonstrably stronger below 4000rpm, and that it's a little faster at all speeds. With a five-speed Tip v. the four-speed Tip of the 993, plus the weight and flex of the cab top, the reverse is probably true per your writing. My '04 is also slightly more powerful than your '00, so the experience of an '01 would be closer to your car.

18" wheels are a must in order to get a wider, more grippier rear wheel. Othewise, sooner or later, you will experience fishtailing with the stock 17" wheels due to all that force, power, and thrust over the rear wheels.
I'm sure the 993 crowd on Rennlist (motto: Load The Car With Every Piece of Crap Gert Sells Plus An Aerokit) will agree with you and not me here, but I cannot countenance putting 18" wheels on a 993. It wasn't originally designed to accept those wheels. What the 993 needs is more front tire; it's a dedicated understeerer from the factory thanks to the redesigned rear suspension. I'm currently running 225/17 in front and 255/17 in back, but if I could figure out a way to get 245s up front I would. The 993 will "fishtail" at 30mph in a right-angle turn, but at road course speeds it really needs more front tire.

If I could only have one Porsche I'd keep the 993; but as I've noted above, I'm not sure this fellow is a good fit for Porsche ownership anyway. If you dislike the 993 enough to sell it twice and replace it with relatively staid sedans, chances are it isn't the car for you.

Quick Reply: Boxster s or 993 or 3.2