Sponsored by:

3.4L turbo??

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2003, 01:39 PM
HBacura
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 3.4L turbo??

Is this possible in a Boxster? I will be purchasing my Boxster in a couple of weeks, and I've heard about some individuals swapping in the 3.4L 996 engine. My first intent was the 3.6L from Roock, but from the bad reviews I think it would be my best interest to stay clear of that company. I spoke with FVD a couple days ago, and they said the 3.6 were not practical. I like the power output claimed on Roock’s site with the 3.6 engine, are these power gains attainable with the 3.4L. Again, if I opted to go with the 3.4, can a turbo upgrade been done?
Old 04-20-2003, 07:14 PM
bxtrgt
Instructor

I bought a 3.6 motor new from Porsche about a year ago with the intention of doing the swap. Then was advised by Guenter at TTP to fit a 3.4 motor instead. With the TTP twin turbo kit it makes 450hp and more. The problem with the 3.6 conversion is the Vario-Cam Plus fitted to the 3.6 motor. The electronics to control it requires a full harness & instrument change and all '02 996C related stuff. The ultimate Boxster is a 600 hp monster from TTP in Germany. They are running the top speed shootout in Nardo Italy in July with it. This is from a base 3.2 Boxster S motor, highly modified of course.
Len Cummings
BoxsterGT
Lifetime Member Rennlist
Old 04-20-2003, 10:55 PM
HBacura
Racer

Thank you for the reply, so it is possible to swap in a 3.4 and turbo it. Wow, that's great.

Edit: I just checked out TNX's site who is an authorized dealer for TTP. I saw the same info about the 450hp, but it was the 3.6l engine instead of the 3.4.
Old 04-27-2003, 08:19 PM
bxtrgt
Instructor

I think that is a typo, as TTP has not done a 3.6 in a Boxster for reasons just stated (vario-cam+).

Their 2.5 turbo is 330hp, the 2.7 is 370hp, and the 3.2 is 420hp, all bolt on kits.

I already have a 3.4 motor, and installation is easy to do. I would be glad to offer advice if you plan a similar project. Just e-mail me.

------------------------
Len Cummings
BoxsterGT
Lifetime Rennlister
Old 04-29-2003, 10:47 AM
HBacura
Racer

Thank you bxtrgt, I appreciate your willingness to help others. I will defiantly keep you in mind when I plan on actually doing the swap.
Old 04-29-2003, 01:22 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rami in Belgim added twin turbos to his stock 3.2 for a 2001 Boxster S. 360hp. If you follow the link there is a link to Rami's site. Jeff <a href="http://forum.boxa.net/index.php?act=ST&f=8&t=1296&s=" target="_blank">Rami</a>
Old 04-29-2003, 08:01 PM
bxtrgt
Instructor

Thats a very nice conversion, and nice site too. I e-mailed him but no reply yet. I thought he might be in Great Britain. I plan to visit GB in the Fall, was hoping to see it in person. Hmmm, Belgium is not that much farther.

I wondered about what it cost. Does anyone know? It's a very nice job. It frustrates me, as my GT project is far from done.
------------------------------
Len Cummings
BoxsterGT
Lifetime Rennlister
Old 04-30-2003, 01:08 AM
TMW
Track Day

Maybe I'm off base, but I'd think a turbo in a confined area would be prone to over heating, and possibly failure. Usually people will go to super charging on mid-engine cars for this reason. I imagine turbo charging is possible on a Boxster, but cooling has to be a serious consideration.
Old 04-30-2003, 08:58 PM
HBacura
Racer

With an intercooler, oilcooler, and turbo timer, the problem of overheating is minimum. The problem with a supercharger is that it's great once you first get it, but you get used to the power gains really quick leaving you begging for more. Plus the supercharger constantly runs causing more wear on your engine faster. With a turbo setup, a boost controller can control when you want the boost to kick in. You can cruise around town or the highway and not even use the turbo, or you can set it to a certain PSI level and throttle position. Giving you the ability of both worlds of your engine setup. Most turbo related problems came with cooling the oil once the car was cut off. When the car was turned off, the turbo stopped spinning leaving hot oil baking internal parts. With an oil cooler and turbo timer, the turbo will continue to spin for a few minutes (something similar like your cooling fan) after the car is turned off allowing that oil to cool down.
Old 05-02-2003, 10:49 PM
bxtrgt
Instructor

The confined area of the 911,993,and 996 turbos does not seem to be a problem. In fact the turbos perform better being close to the engine with short exhaust lengths. The hotter the exhaust gas going into the turbo the more power it produces. If the exhaust pipes are insulated to retain the heat even more power can be made. This is where heat shielding over the turbos is important.

TTP uses an auxiliary front oil cooler as part of their Boxster twin turbo package. The extra power produced does require more engine cooling.
--------------------------
Len Cummings
BoxsterGT
Lifetime Rennlister
Old 05-03-2003, 01:20 PM
craigg
Instructor

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by bxtrgt:
<strong>In fact the turbos perform better being close to the engine with short exhaust lengths. The hotter the exhaust gas going into the turbo the more power it produces.
--------------------------
Len Cummings
BoxsterGT
Lifetime Rennlister</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Is this true?

I thought Turbos relied on the velocity of the exhaust gases, not the heat, per se. And in fact, by the use of cooler air moving into a hot chamber, one would think the rapid expansion could create a minor convection of the more dense, cooler air and therefore becoming faster (accelerating) as they expand into a hotter state, inducing more spin to the turbine.
Old 05-04-2003, 12:47 AM
ettsn
Pro

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by craigg:
[QBIs this true?

I thought Turbos relied on the velocity of the exhaust gases, not the heat, per se. And in fact, by the use of cooler air moving into a hot chamber, one would think the rapid expansion could create a minor convection of the more dense, cooler air and therefore becoming faster (accelerating) as they expand into a hotter state, inducing more spin to the turbine.[/QB]</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">According to our man Lord Kelvin, energy is energy. The heat lost to dissipation in a longer exhaust length is still energy that is no longer available for turbine use. Remember that heat is the result of energy transfer and that very energy can be converted back into kinetic energy. So yes, hotter is better for a turbine all things considered.

-Paul

Quick Reply: 3.4L turbo??