Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I bought a Boxster on a whim..

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 04:43 PM
rxjohn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up So I bought a Boxster on a whim..

Been shopping for a 911.. then decided to test drive a BMW 745IL..no idea why I did that. Then test drove a 2005 Vette which I felt very disconnected.

Went to a local Porsche dealer to test drive a 2003 911 but I saw a very clean 2001 Boxster 2.7 with 16,000 miles on it. Come to find out, I knew the previous owner... a female doctor..who rarely took it out of her garage.

Drove it once..fell in love with it. So I bought it.

$22,900, Porsche Certified, 2 years/100,000 miles warranty. Immaculate and not a scratch on it. I can't believe how well it handles.

Pictures to come later. Looking for a hardtop. And wife loves it.... She can have it, so I can get a 911. : )
Old 11-21-2006, 07:18 PM
designman
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congratulations. Enjoy!
Old 11-21-2006, 07:24 PM
986Jim
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol. welcome abord
Old 11-21-2006, 07:27 PM
blinkwatt
Pro

Originally Posted by rxjohn
I can't believe how well it handles.
That's what I thought about mine stock w/ the factory 17"s. I switched to the factory 18" Turbo IIs,and boy did the steering response get better.

Now I'm about to put in the RoW 030 sway bars,I can't imagine how it will handle after that!

Does your's have the M030 sport suspension option? Have you consider the RoW 030 German Sport Suspension offered by Porsche?
Old 11-21-2006, 07:53 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

...2001 Boxster 2.7 with 16,000 miles on it...

Drove it once..fell in love with it. So I bought it.

$22,900, Porsche Certified, 2 years/100,000 miles warranty. Immaculate and not a scratch on it.
Ack! You make me sick! I paid a bit more than you did for a car with more miles. (ok, 29k) Oh well, I still love mine...

Congrats on the purchase! Be sure to post pics when you can.

Old 11-21-2006, 10:25 PM
rxjohn
Instructor

Originally Posted by blinkwatt
That's what I thought about mine stock w/ the factory 17"s. I switched to the factory 18" Turbo IIs,and boy did the steering response get better.

Now I'm about to put in the RoW 030 sway bars,I can't imagine how it will handle after that!

Does your's have the M030 sport suspension option? Have you consider the RoW 030 German Sport Suspension offered by Porsche?
Looked at the original sticker and it includes a $3,420 Sport Touring Package. I don't think it's the Sport Suspension. I don't think I'll be doing any mods to it other than a hardtop.

Last edited by rxjohn; 11-21-2006 at 10:50 PM.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:35 PM
rxjohn
Instructor

So driving home today, got a chip on my windshield from a small rock.

Checked my roadside warranty which replaces wheels... it also includes windshield, free of charge with no deductible
Old 11-22-2006, 03:03 AM
arenared
Burning Brakes

Congrats and enjoy! Even though you're not going to mod it, at least be sure to play with alignment and tire pressures. Boxsters are very sensitive to these and can make a huge difference.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:49 AM
rxjohn
Instructor

Originally Posted by arenared
Congrats and enjoy! Even though you're not going to mod it, at least be sure to play with alignment and tire pressures. Boxsters are very sensitive to these and can make a huge difference.
Thanks for the info. I did feel the car pulling slightly to right!
Old 11-22-2006, 12:58 PM
djomlas
Intermediate

what do you then think is a good PSI for different kinds of driving, like almost exact psi, im looking for numbers here. winter is coming as well and ill be driving mine then as well, what would be the best PSI for that purpose?
Old 11-22-2006, 01:25 PM
arenared
Burning Brakes

I've found pressure is highly dependent on the exact tire brand/model/size. About the only thing I can say is that I've never run anything close to stock/factory recommendations. A friend has an F360. In the manual, I was impressed because Ferrari lists different tire pressures for EACH of the various approved tires, and they are not the same.

Also, there are trade-off's in tire pressures versus wear, etc. Some general guidelines would be to run much more pressure in the front than stock (understeer will vanish and responsiveness will go way up) and run a little less tire pressure in the rear than stock. Use tire wear and/or tire temperatures (probe or IR) to fine-tune. Also use seat-of-the-pants and/or a G-meter to fine tune wear vs. best handling. 18" will generally need a little more air than 17". Typically, a little more pressure gives a little more performance but wears out the middle of the tires faster. For this reason, I usually run the tires a little lower in the winter to even out the wear and save the higher pressures for the summer weather when I can enjoy the extra grip a little more.

djomlas, nice pic in the avatar. What color? If those are the 17" Sport Classics? If stock sizes, I'd try 34F/34R as a starting point and let me know what you think. Some may consider that a little aggressive, but I think it will be a lot of fun. For winter, you could tone it down 1 or 2 psi. Standard disclaimer: my 2 cents, YMMV, no warranties, you get what you pay for, etc.
Old 11-22-2006, 01:35 PM
arenared
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the info. I did feel the car pulling slightly to right!
Make sure you go to an alignment shop that knows Boxsters/late model Carreras and preferably has experience in doing race alignments. You will pay double, but it is worth it. Most shops will just put the alignment "within specification". The problem is that the factory specifications are too wide and most likely 100% not suitable for your type of driving/usage. See my other post on this board. Basically, you want someone to listen to how you plan to use the car, what you want to change about your car's handling characteristics, and then do a PRECISION alignment. They also need experience because Boxsters (and 911s) are difficult to do a good alignment and have it stay aligned. A poor alignment job will be aligned up on the rack, but then after a few speed bumps and a couple of runs around the block, it will be out of alignment again. These cars with such wide and low-profile tires have a very wide and thin contact patches. That makes alignment and tire pressure critical. If the car is pulling to the right, most likely your rear toe is not symmetric. Good luck!
Old 11-22-2006, 05:46 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

man what a deal..
Old 11-22-2006, 08:01 PM
racer
Drifting

Congrats on your "Whim"! (I just picked up mine today so I know how you feel)
Old 11-22-2006, 10:20 PM
Ray H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Congrats guys on your acquisitions

Quick Reply: So I bought a Boxster on a whim..